• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought id say this but im tempted to sell the Rog Swift just to go the 290x crossfire route and buy a new monitor as well.

Hate that im stuck with NV right now, id rather the money went to a competitor.

I am also in the Rog Swift club and am tempted to do the same thing but what screen would you go for? The Swift is so bloody good for gaming . . .

I am slightly confused why the last few months since the 970 release everyone has been singing it praises, now all of a sudden we have stuttering all over the place? Its quite the roller-coaster and demonstrates how consumers are just an iron filing drawn to a magnet, the magnet being the drama!

If I was a psychologist or marketing guru I could probably draw some interesting data from this. As I'm not I'll leave it up to nvidia, AMD and OCUk who I'm sure are gathering great, interesting, and lucrative consumer information.

Last edited:
Don't want to **** on your parade bud, but as a swift owner and stuttering in games elimination obsessive, gsync is not a magic bullet by any means.

SLI and gsync together actually causes stuttering/ unsmooth issues in a few games. Note I said a few. I'm a huge fan of the swift and gsync, for most of my games.

But, there is no way in the world that gsync can eliminate stutter caused by a graphics card exceeding VRAM limit, or an engine that is just plain ****, and well known for stutters - step up most games that use unreal engine 3 and ANY ubisoft game of the last 3 years! Fact me do. :)

Very true, even Gregster on here reported having issues with Gsync and sli and stuttering..

The 290x 8GB in particular is starting to look a very attractive option. I wonder if AMD will also throw in some more games too? :p

it would be awesome if they did :)

even though the price drops are nice it would be best to wait out on the 380x which is coming around march/april time and has the very nice HMB vram.

Really want to see what the AMD fluid motion feature is like when watching movies. One of my mates said it looks awesome but this little 280 doesn't support it :(

Mostly because newer games are starting to show the 970's miss-sold shortcomings.

Such as?

Most of the reports are misinformed people running over the frame buffer, using 3rd party tools that aren't correctly reading memory usage.

It's the same card it was 5 months ago, people are flaming stupid. They have a right to be angry, reviewers were not given the correct specifications, most likely to avoid confusion (technically still a *4GB card), but that doesn't stop people from completely misinterpreting what is happening.

All of the examples people keep harping on about are easily replicated on my 980s. It's a combination of a few things, one of which is probably people upgrading from GK104 cards, expecting 4GB to take them to the moon and back. Which simply isn't the case these days.

In short, yes Nvidia most likely deliberately misinterpreted the memory sub system, no, the overall impact is yet to be verified to be a problem at all - which means the likely overhead of the L2 cache is minimal. Yes, you can be angry and entitled to get your money back, no it's not a huge problem using the second memory pool, people just keep using examples where 4GB buffer is not enough.

If there is a sense of entitlement, maybe you'd have been better off buying the faster card without any deliberate neutering in the first place, arguably.

Last edited:
Yah they designed it to crap out at 3.5gb so it does perform as designed, just shame no one told us, the consumer about it

Excellent summary of the situation.

NVIDIA will wriggle like a worm on a fishing hook (while hoping that it doesn't end up in court).

OCUK will accept returns, which is good, but they probably know that customers have been misled (by NVIDIA), and if that can be proved in court those customers will have a legal right to return their cards for repair, replacement or refund.

Knowing what I know now, I shall not be buying a GTX970 (unless the price is really right). The risk of coil whine and the fact that NVIDIA haven't done the right thing (yet), suggests that my ~£300 might wait a few months to see what happens next.

Day light even at 1080p is going over the 3.5 threshold from what I have seen?

And the performance impact has been compared with 980s average / minimum and frame times?

Excellent summary of the situation.

NVIDIA will wriggle like a worm on a fishing hook (while hoping that it doesn't end up in court).

OCUK will accept returns, which is good, but they probably know that customers have been misled (by NVIDIA), and if that can be proved in court those customers will have a legal right to return their cards for repair, replacement or refund.

Knowing what I know now, I shall not be buying a GTX970 (unless the price is really right). The risk of coil whine and the fact that NVIDIA haven't done the right thing (yet), suggests that my ~£300 might wait a few months to see what happens next.

LOL. C U in court M8. Let's be realistic :p

OCUK become my favorite PC retailer in the way they are dealing with this, along with good prices lately.

Like I said before disappointed in Nvidia's handling of this, most sites seem to consider this mis-advertising.

Interesting read here,

http://www.techpowerup.com/209409/p...s-being-returned-over-memory-controversy.html

lol they can't renable the L2 cache, it's defective, that's why it got designated as a 970 in the first instance

Last edited:

I keep hearing Dying Light is the one, but no one gives me a key, how am I meant to test 970SLI@1440p if I cant play it /sigh ;)

Then again TotalBuscuit's port report of 'Dying Light' just about managed 60FPS on SLI 980's@1080p so I'm not sure that is the best benchmark for the doom of the 970!!! Also the game does not fully support SLI 'yet'.

So much FUD and absolute rubbish in this thread, I really hope all of the people going on and demanding refunds are below 20 years old, if not, the human race is doomed!! Then again if they are, we are doomed anyway :(

Last edited:

Never played Day light but the new Dying Light also uses bang on 3.5GB at 1080P @ max settings. I suspect it will use more on the 980 or 290X since they are not restricted by the drivers.

Im guessing Nvidia are in damage control mode due to their financial earnings conference call taking place on 11th Feb with investors and potential investors.

Last thing they need is a mass recall / replacement scheme with that around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom