• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing's wrong. The GTX 970 is as intended which is to say it's amazing.

There really isn't a memory issue. We've designed the GTX 970 like this for a reason. Check out that article I sent you.

We are always improving performance through drivers but there are no plans for an update specifically for the GTX 970

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/with_replies

Nvidia twitter, notice how he links to the shills at toms and anandtech to condone their dodgy vram implementation. There is no driver fix.

Nvidia have gone deaf and dumb.

Just had a decent blast on BF4 ... Rig in my spec gaming on ultra/high at 1920x1200 uses around 2.3GB VRAM - doesn't get anywhere close to 3.5GB

Not sure there is any point in fussing over returning it?

I will get about £275 a card back (£550) and will cost me £800 for a pair of 980's

Is the difference of £250 for a pair of 980s worth it? Maybe.

Amd not an option to me as I invested in Gsync.

This is my current Issue, I have not invested in Gsync but I don't think I want to move to AMD cards.

But I think the money is worth it for piece of mind. The real question is do I stick with the Gigabyte G1?

I guess there is no way to tell what the Ram manufacture is on any new card purchase as well. I currently have 1 G1 with Hynix memory and 1 G1 with Samsung.

I would like to flag myself for a refund/upgrade.

``The card is working as intended so there are no specific (drivers) planned``

they are therefore not fixing it

I wonder how many people will actually go the AMD route now with a 290x for their needs?

I must admit I'm awfully tempted, after reading all this today. The 970 G1 was the one I was initially going to get, but now considering a 290x Vapor-X! The only thing which attracted me more to the G1, was the temps, so as long as the Vapour-X runs cool as well, then I will probably go for that.

So, I'm interested, what PC set-up do you currently use and what monitor? Also what GPU do you intend to purchase?

at the moment I don't have another gpu in mind.

I have I I7 950 @ 4ghz, 6GB DDR 3 triple channel ram, 2 x Samsung evo's 840 250GB.

I have a LG monitor 24" 1080P monitor.

you'd have to be a bit daft to buy another Nvidia this year, because it's the next Titan card ( whatever it's called) that's screwed us up, it's screwed up the GTX 980 as well

shoulda gone to Specsavers ;)

lol I am looking forward to see what happens and where nvidia goes after all this.

amd have been mocking them haha and now they have just dropped the prices of the r290's. smart move!

Sorry hard to keep up at the moment I've just got in from eating lots of food! So what's the deal with MSI at the moment are we still awaiting a reply? If OcUK do it off their own back will I say be able to send these back and get a 980 and credit or how will that work? Sorry if these questions have/haven't been answered, I'm not being inpatient, just curious. Thanks

The monitor did due to the 144hz it improved it massively.

Don't want to **** on your parade bud, but as a swift owner and stuttering in games elimination obsessive, gsync is not a magic bullet by any means.

SLI and gsync together actually causes stuttering/ unsmooth issues in a few games. Note I said a few. I'm a huge fan of the swift and gsync, for most of my games.

But, there is no way in the world that gsync can eliminate stutter caused by a graphics card exceeding VRAM limit, or an engine that is just plain ****, and well known for stutters - step up most games that use unreal engine 3 and ANY ubisoft game of the last 3 years! Fact me do. :)

lol I am looking forward to see what happens and where nvidia goes after all this.

amd have been mocking them haha and now they have just dropped the prices of the r290's. smart move!

The 290x 8GB in particular is starting to look a very attractive option. I wonder if AMD will also throw in some more games too? :p

OCUK become my favorite PC retailer in the way they are dealing with this, along with good prices lately.

Like I said before disappointed in Nvidia's handling of this, most sites seem to consider this mis-advertising.

Interesting read here,

Caseking.de says that retailers don't have any explanation from NVIDIA to give to their customers. A similar sentiment is being expressed by the NVIDIA add-in card partners (AICs) we spoke to. Retailers and AIC partners are on their own, for now. One AIC partner rep told us that NVIDIA has no worldwide action plan, as of now, to deal with a potential flood of returns.

In absence of every other recourse, laws in most EU member states dictate that the retailers accept returns for a full refund, if they are not able to "repair" the defect, or exchange with another unit that works as advertised (which a retailer obviously can't, in this case). Retailers' options in the matter boil down to: 1. Taking back cards from whoever isn't happy with their GTX 970 and giving them a refund; 2. compensating with something of value (eg: game-coupons, in-game currency, etc.,) and 3. Springing up a surprise, such as exchanging GTX 970 cards purchased before a set date, with a GTX 980 (if that's your idea of a "repair."). This will come at the expense of a cascading lawsuit-chain (customers suing retailers, who in-turn sue AICs, and who in-turn sue NVIDIA).

NVIDIA, on the other hand, plans to issue a driver update that will "improve" the way the chip allocates resources, but there's no word on whether it re-enables disabled components that NVIDIA wasn't honest about, the first time around. They're counting on the issue to simply blow over, because at $329, there really isn't much you can complain about the GTX 970, given how it's positioned in comparison to the GTX 980.

http://www.techpowerup.com/209409/p...s-being-returned-over-memory-controversy.html

I wonder how many people will actually go the AMD route now with a 290x for their needs?

I must admit I'm awfully tempted, after reading all this today. The 970 G1 was the one I was initially going to get, but now considering a 290x Vapor-X! The only thing which attracted me more to the G1, was the temps, so as long as the Vapour-X runs cool as well, then I will probably go for that.

I'm looking at the same card, it will be my first AMD card in many GPUs I wont be buying nvidia again after this but will happily buy from OCUK again if they sort something out with the Gigabyte cards

Another option for me is a part refund or credit note but the plan was to upgrade to 1440p with a DirectX 12 card so I'm completely confused by it all now as I've never had anything but nvida before and my 970 doesnt look like a good choice for 1440P and residuals now that its reputation is tainted

Last edited:
Don't want to **** on your parade bud, but as a swift owner and stuttering in games elimination obsessive, gsync is not a magic bullet by any means.

SLI and gsync together actually causes stuttering/ unsmooth issues in a few games. Note I said a few. I'm a huge fan of the swift and gsync, for most of my games.

But, there is no way in the world that gsync can eliminate stutter caused by a graphics card exceeding VRAM limit, or an engine that is just plain ****, and well known for stutters - step up most games that use unreal engine 3 and ANY ubisoft game of the last 3 years! Fact me do. :)

Well for me it runs perfectly in SLI. Set it to no Gsync and 60hz and it's a stuttery mess.

I'm looking at the same card, it will be my first AMD card in many GPUs I wont be buying nvidia again after this but will happily buy from OCUK again if they sort something out with the Gigabyte cards

Another option for me is a part refund or credit note but the plan was to upgrade to 1440p with a DirectX 12 card so I'm completely confused by it all now as I've never had anything but nvida before and my 970 doesnt look like a good choice for 1440P and residuals now that its reputation is tainted

Never thought id say this but im tempted to sell the Rog Swift just to go the 290x crossfire route and buy a new monitor as well.

Hate that im stuck with NV right now, id rather the money went to a competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom