• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boycotting them is pointless, and what ever amd release won't destroy them.

I would have gone for something else they offered, if they had something else I wanted.

But I think 980 overpriced, and not sticking to 970.

Would have happily gone for 6gb 780, but...... Yeah. Not paying Titan prices.

So, as didn't want to be waiting ages or be without, plumping for trifire 290x seemed like the best way to go.

They still make great stuff most of the time

Doesn't hurt to have a little humor in the face of all the seriousness :p

giphy.gif

their best bet is to fix the 970 and release it at 8GB

You mean 7GB with 1GB cache? XD

Hats off to OCUK for this one, you got a customer for life here and I am a bargain hunter! ;) (not dropping soap in the shower for this one, but I am impressed) :D

I think Nvidia forgot the meaning of RAM!!! :rolleyes:< (Random access memory)

From Wiki :-

A random-access memory device allows data items to be read and written in roughly the same amount of TIME regardless of the order in which data items are accessed.

So Nvidia tell me your GTX 970 is 4gb or 3.5Gb + 500Mb usb stick? :D

Quick edit...

Or do Nvidia think RAM means Remotely Accessed Memory by 99% of joe public? as in only thoses who play 4K+! ;)

Last edited:
If I do manage to wave farewell to my 970's and I did want to take a slow stroll down the AMD lane, and I sold my Rogasaurus Swift for decent money, what monitor should I purr chase from Overclock Underclock Delivery Free.co.uk? (Sing that to the tune of the wombles)!

I wouldn't waste your breath.

LOL :D

I have little sympathy being forthright for people who buy cut down cards and then complain when they find out it's arguably more cut down than they first thought it was when they originally bought the cut down card.

gpoBZhY.jpg

Yes manufacturers always lie about specs and this unique situation happens every other day.

If I do manage to wave farewell to my 970's and I did want to take a slow stroll down the AMD lane, and I sold my Rogasaurus Swift for decent money, what monitor should I purr chase from Overclock Underclock Delivery Free.co.uk? (Sing that to the tune of the wombles)!

If your FPS gaming you already have the best setup, could only be improved with 980's. But if your happy to lose G-Sync then maybe look at the 34" super-wide stuff and 8GB 290X's as a great setup they are.

Yes manufacturers always lie about specs and this unique situation happens every other day.

Do you know what ROPS are. C'mon, you've got to see the irony in buying a cheaper product that's neutered to be slower and cheaper and then moaning when it could possibly, not even decidedly as no conclusive testing has been done - find out it might be slightly more neutered.

Yeah NVIDIA messed up, nobody is denying that. Still makes me laugh how types are reacting

Last edited:
they need to sell existing stock so they can reinvest this money, but the 380X will still destroy Nvidia in 3 months time

this is because Nvidia have no plans for 6/8GB mid range cards, unless they change their minds..........

the Titan Z is in direct competition with the later 390X and not the 380X, the 380X has no rival :eek: only their own 290X 8GB..Nvidia are in real trouble now, they have no cheap mid range card for this year at 8GB do they:...the 970 is effectively Dead or will be soon, just look at page 1 Google

the future for 4GB RAM cards is over......... but it looks like Nvidia have ignored this, their best bet is to fix the 970 and release it at 8GB

Well neither vendor has cheap 8gb mid range cards :rolleyes:

Since the 970 cant access the full 4gb at the same speed, adding anymore vram would be pointless , you would end up with 3.5gb standard and 4.5 super cache:D

With a bit of luck one thing this whole issue will bring is both sides giving us more vram in future cards but then we also wouldnt have to be milked as often which is bad for profits :D

If your FPS gaming you already have the best setup, could only be improved with 980's. But if your happy to lose G-Sync then maybe look at the 34" super-wide stuff and 8GB 290X's as a great setup they are.

Then the 980 it is. To you sir I tip my hat and bid you good day. :D

(Fingers, toes and eyes crossed Gigabyte play ball)

Unfortunately even this debacle hasn't slowed the 970 sales down, so I doubt it will have much of an influence on their next few cards.

But at least seeing as it was the reviewers that were caught out aswell, maybe they will remember and take that into account when reviewing the next batch of cards.

Hats off to OCUK for this one, you got a customer for life here and I am a bargain hunter! ;) (not dropping soap in the shower for this one, but I am impressed) :D

I think Nvidia forgot the meaning of RAM!!! :rolleyes:< (Random access memory)

From Wiki :-

A random-access memory device allows data items to be read and written in roughly the same amount of TIME regardless of the order in which data items are accessed.

So Nvidia tell me your GTX 970 is 4gb or 3.5Gb + 500Mb usb stick? :D

Quick edit...

Or do Nvidia think RAM means Remotely Accessed Memory by 99% of joe public? as in only thoses who play 4K+! ;)

I dont think ive seen time mentioned when describing ram before. That quote was taken from www.dummies.com by the way, same page where they say you can write to ROM (yes, ROM) but i'll be erased when you power down.

yeaaah....no.

Then the 980 it is. To you sir I tip my hat and bid you good day. :D

(Fingers, toes and eyes crossed Gigabyte play ball)

They best do, same goes for the others. Today I was very professional and diplomatic with them and asked nicely for support.

Tomorrow I want results that support OcUK to support our customers otherwise my toys are going to be out of the pram and all over the floor. :D

Hope they make he right decision otherwise OcUK shall sort something ourselves. :)

Me too

I was maxxing out 3GBvram on my old card no problem.I bought the 970 for mostly more vram.

Games i have played that push well over since 3gb since i bought my 970

Arma3,Titanfall,FC4,AC:U,DA:I,

Nevermind other games that a 970 could easily run at 60fps while using over 3gb vram (Watchdogs ect)

I dont get how people can claim that even 1080p doesnt need 4gb?

Only last week everyone was ragging on the 960,why? it only had 2gb vram,and thats a substanatially less powerfull card than a 970.

Funny, are you running 4k? I run 1440p and never see over 3GB In Arma3, Titanfall or DA:I, and I run all on max settings @ 1440p.

Last edited:
I dont think ive seen time mentioned when describing ram before. That quote was taken from www.dummies.com by the way, same page where they say you can write to ROM (yes, ROM) but i'll be erased when you power down.

yeaaah....no.

I just quicked it from wiki. Maybe they for got the EP at the beginning! :p

Say for example you buy a 8Gb memory stick? All is fine then you do some
memory intensive tasks, video encoding, 3D max etc. All of a sudden you dont have 8Gb of pure Ram but 7Gb and the last 1Gb is a bottle neck.

Is that acceptable? If said item is advertised at 8Gb RAM?

They best do, same goes for the others. Today I was very professional and diplomatic with them and asked nicely for support.

Tomorrow I want results that support OcUK to support our customers otherwise my toys are going to be out of the pram and all over the floor. :D

Hope they make he right decision otherwise OcUK shall sort something ourselves. :)

Hopefully you get a nice result they should follow evgas stance but who knows. End of the day these rmas should fall at nvidias feet not anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom