• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just quicked it from wiki. Maybe they for got the EP at the beginning! :p

Say for example you buy a 8Gb memory stick? All is fine then you do some
memory intensive tasks, video encoding, 3D max etc. All of a sudden you dont have 8Gb of pure Ram but 7Gb and the last 1Gb is a bottle neck.

Is that acceptable? If said item is advertised at 8Gb RAM?

like buying a mechanical hardrive where the performance on the out edge of the platters has always been slower? something like that?

Well, after several glasses of wine and a complete disrespect for money, I have stuck the 980 HOF onto Paypal credit for Saturday delivery. Well done me. Now I just have to do something with my dual G1's. OOOeeerrrrrr . . .

Funny are you running 4k? I run 1440p and never see over 3GB In Arma3, Titanfall or DA:I, and I run all on max settings @ 1440p.

Takes Fade Touched textures, MSAA and 4K resolution for me to run out of VRAM in DAI. Get 20-25FPS by that point anyway :o

The idea of 'upgrading' due to OcUK's good service (I have Inno3D cards) is nice but I don't think I could be bothered with the hassle just to swap for other cards that only have 4GB themselves.

like buying a mechanical hardrive where the performance on the out edge of the platters has always been slower? something like that?

Not really the same thing. Memory is classed as RAM you know the name.

Therefore it is randomly accessed at the same speed, regardless of size or position. Latency is the speed at which it is accessed no matter what size.

You will find more ram does increase latency but its just more wires to go through.

As for Nvidia 4Gb is nothing when big ram comes into play. 4Gb it should have been as in one solid bar of 4Gb ram!

They best do, same goes for the others. Today I was very professional and diplomatic with them and asked nicely for support.

Tomorrow I want results that support OcUK to support our customers otherwise my toys are going to be out of the pram and all over the floor. :D

Hope they make he right decision otherwise OcUK shall sort something ourselves. :)

Thanks for your help today it is appreciated. Just rma'd corsair sp2500 to amazon due to faulty tweeter for a refund. Could have got a replacement but due to this I'll be buying from yourselves in future

Just hope I get to pay the difference to upgrade to 980s and msi don't be idiots.

Funny are you running 4k? I run 1440p and never see over 3GB In Arma3, Titanfall or DA:I, and I run all on max settings @ 1440p.

Titanfall max settings+4xmsaa

Usually 3.0-3.5GB vram usage.Seen it hit a maxmium of 3.8GB as it loaded a map and settle back down to 3.5Gb as the match started before.

Arma3 I mostly play King of the hill,not exclusively tho.

Mix of high and ultra settings and 125% resolution scale. Within an Hours play the vram usage is always past 3gb vram,not uncommon to see it hit 3.4gb.

Arma has been crashing pretty frequently on my machine since i swapped out to a 970 aswell,figured it was bad drivers.Now im not even sure

DA:I i only played for a few hours so i dont know how vram hungry it gets later on. Max settings + 2msaa, Vram usage fluctuated at 2.8-3.1gb after running about the hinterlands for 30 mins near the start doin random quests.

On my 280x arma and TF both had my vram pegged at max most the the time and these arnt even new games,or what i consider demanding games to run(GPU wise).

3gb is the minimum people should aiming for on their GPU's now for 1080p,and i dont mean for the maxing game out crowd,thats just for average PC gamer who wants to play new AAA games with good IQ.

They best do, same goes for the others. Today I was very professional and diplomatic with them and asked nicely for support.

Tomorrow I want results that support OcUK to support our customers otherwise my toys are going to be out of the pram and all over the floor. :D

Hope they make he right decision otherwise OcUK shall sort something ourselves. :)

I have watched all this unfold and you guys have been great... You have a customer for life.

I'm a little upset by this debacle.

I got 2 cards both Palit Gtx970's. With the intention of using them in Star Citizen. Nothing wrong there. I figured the cards would scale well and make full use of the game.

The cards are fantastic at 1080p.

My issue is what happens when games start to scale up and use more Vram @1080p. I'm now stuck with 2 cards that will depreciate faster than shares in "TIME computers". That may or may not get a fix to stop the card been able to access that dodgy ram partition.

I don't mind if they release a bios that locks out that ram, I don't mind if they do it in drivers. However if they can't do this then I'm stuck knowing I've effectively put a lemon in my pc. And not a cheap lemon either.

What ircs me more that this is the fact this is the first Nvidia card I've bought since the GF4 ti4400. It's the first time I've felt that the company were offering me more than AMD with the up-scaled resolution for older games, and a decent speed at a good price point.

It is disheartening.

Titanfall max settings+4xmsaa

Usually 3.0-3.5GB vram usage.Seen it hit a maxmium of 3.8GB as it loaded a map and settle back down to 3.5Gb as the match started before.

Arma3 I mostly play King of the hill,not exclusively tho.

Mix of high and ultra settings and 125% resolution scale. Within an Hours play the vram usage is always past 3gb vram,not uncommon to see it hit 3.4gb.

Arma has been crashing pretty frequently on my machine since i swapped out to a 970 aswell,figured it was bad drivers.Now im not even sure

DA:I i only played for a few hours so i dont know how vram hungry it gets later on. Max settings + 2msaa, Vram usage fluctuated at 2.8-3.1gb after running about the hinterlands for 30 mins near the start doin random quests.

On my 280x arma and TF both had my vram pegged at max most the the time and these arnt even new games,or what i consider demanding games to run(GPU wise).

3gb is the minimum people should aiming for on their GPU's now for 1080p,and i dont mean for the maxing game out crowd,thats just for average PC gamer who wants to play new AAA games with good IQ.

Just launched Titanfall for a quick game, Ultra all, 4xAA. 3.7GB. Sorry I made a mistake. BUT it ran silky smooth. Just quit a game to come back and say that. Felt bad. Sorry.

Just launched Titanfall for a quick game, Ultra all, 4xAA. 3.7GB. Sorry I made a mistake. BUT it ran silky smooth. Just quit a game to come back and say that. Felt bad. Sorry.

lol no probs m8

Pity TF population is dead,its a really fun game.

Edit: But it just goes to show,a game thats not even that demanding really will eat up vram,hell it only pegs my gpu at about 60-70% most the time at those settings,card barely pushed at all

8xmssa is stutery tho,soooo yea :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom