• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this doesn't scream that Nvidia clearly has balls'd up then I don't know what else will.

Hey lets do a complete 180 on what we have been telling people and delete all of the evidence. Complete morons. I will not be buying another Nvidia card anytime soon and I suggest anyone who is returning their card to do the same.

Vote with your wallet, this sort of BS really shouldn't stand. 290X sign me up.

Well spent a couple of hours trying to catch up on this thread and still had to skip a few pages. Congrats to Gibbo and Ocuk for sorting out your customers, this is the reason we all come back and I agree the 970 is still a very good card. Nvidia on the other hand.........squirm, squirm and shame on you. I may have gone Nvidia with next gen but not now, no chance. :(

Yeah, sure until they make a mistake. Which they will do. Then everone will go back to nvidia. Weve only got two vendors to choose from. And yes, both will make mistakes.

Yes setter but there's making a mistake (do you really believe they made a mistake?) and then there is trying to cover up, removing admissions, leaving Ocuk and such like to put it right, at great cost, nah mate never again, there is one vendor for me now and if they ever did this, well I'm out. :mad:

Seeing as how SLI 970's aren't performing at 4k, and I plan on 4k around say august..

Should I swap out my single 970 for a 980 right now and then when august comes pick up another 980 for SLI for 4k? Or do I stick with the 970 and retire it for something that can actually handle 4k? How long will SLI 980's hold up for regarding future games?

Well I'm just sticking with my one R9 290 for now, waiting to see what the 380/390 brings to the table. Nvidia don't exist to me anymore, I think they have behaved disgracefully over this issue. Looks like 4Gb may not be enough sooner than we all thought the way things are going. :)

Seeing as how SLI 970's aren't performing at 4k, and I plan on 4k around say august..

Should I swap out my single 970 for a 980 right now and then when august comes pick up another 980 for SLI for 4k? Or do I stick with the 970 and retire it for something that can actually handle 4k? How long will SLI 980's hold up for regarding future games?
Well that is the question. Even Gibbo said he was surprised how many games are pushing that 4GB limit now, so if that continues we may find that a year from now, 8GB cards are the norm. Personally, I'm in a quandry similar to yourself... keep my 970 and sell later (at a time when nobody can say what they'll be worth)... or return it and get a 980 for that bit of extra longevity. I'm kind of expecting that I won't get much more than a year or so out of a single 980 though, especially as I'm at 1440p now and would like to get an ultra wide later this year. If you're going 4K though, I see no reason to keep the 970, as it's obviously not a 4K performer. Even 980 SLI is pushing it many people would say, if you want ultra detail. For 4K today, the AMD 8GB 290X cards in Crossfire seem to be the best choice, although they are very power hungry! The new AMD 300 series will be out in June, so if you can wait, may be best to see what they will offer and keep the 970 in the meantime, and just sell at a later date.

Last edited:
Well that is the question. Even Gibbo said he was surprised how many games are pushing that 4GB limit now, so if that continues we may find that a year from now, 8GB cards are the norm. Personally, I'm in a quandry similar to yourself... keep my 970 and sell later (at a time when nobody can say what they'll be worth)... or return it and get a 980 for that bit of extra longevity. I'm kind of expecting that I won't get much more than a year or so out of a single 980 though, especially as I'm at 1440p now and would like to get an ultra wide later this year. If you're going 4K though, I see no reason to keep the 970, as it's obviously not a 4K performer. Even 980 SLI is pushing it many people would say, if you want ultra detail. For 4K today, the AMD 8GB 290X cards in Crossfire seem to be the best choice, although they are very power hungry! The new AMD 300 series will be out in June, so if you can wait, may be best to see what they will offer and keep the 970 in the meantime, and just sell at a later date.

Ugh, the market honestly needs more than just red and green. This mess is ridiculous.

Right now I'm thinking either swap for 980, or keep and come august retire this card to my SO, she won't really be playing AAA titles nor running 4k.. Then again, Nvidia is still screwing me, one way of another.

Ugh, the market honestly needs more than just red and green. This mess is ridiculous.

Right now I'm thinking either swap for 980, or keep and come august retire this card to my SO, she won't really be playing AAA titles nor running 4k.. Then again, Nvidia is still screwing me, one way of another.
I know... such an annoying time to buy a card! I was set on a 970 SLI upgrade path, but that seems a bad idea now with not much longevity, so like yourself I'm seriously considering the free return option and jumping to the 980. I can't see justification for the older AMD cards, as you really need x2 of them to see the benefits, and the power demands are nuts. I am considering just keeping the 970, but then I was thinking that come the time when I need an 8GB card, and I wanted to sell a 980, it would have held its value better than a 970... but no way to tell of course.

I know... such an annoying time to buy a card! I was set on a 970 SLI upgrade path, but that seems a bad idea now with not much longevity, so like yourself I'm seriously considering the free return option and jumping to the 980. I can't see justification for the older AMD cards, as you really need x2 of them to see the benefits, and the power demands are nuts. I am considering just keeping the 970, but then I was thinking that come the time when I need an 8GB card, and I wanted to sell a 980, it would have held its value better than a 970... but no way to tell of course.

I think 8gb 290x in crossfire is a good option if you have a PSU to support that large power draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom