• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
But like I said if you have your 4790k and 780ti and then used same GPU with a 9590 or 9370 hell even 8350 overclocked. I dont think you would notice the difference in gaming performance.
Maybe not on one gpu, yes definitely on two. And i do end up going sli on most cards ive owned. If i was to take the cards in sig and put them into my old 930 rig, in games i play i would notice a difference. Not that id want to do it for too long as the p6 x58 de board is abysmal for sli/xfire. Things would get hotter than a strip club.:D

Maybe not on one gpu, yes definitely on two. And i do end up going sli on most cards ive owned. If i was to take the cards in sig and put them into my old 930 rig, in games i play i would notice a difference. Not that id want to do it for too long as the p6 x58 de board is abysmal for sli/xfire. Things would get hotter than a strip club.:D

And I did point that out in my first post :p

Going Xfire or SLI is the Hardcore PC gamer and the Hardcore PC gamer should be running the best out there hardware wise.. And intel does just that on that front.. :D

But my main point being AMD CPUs do perfectly fine for the normal PC gaming. So much so that unless you benched you wouldn't notice the difference.

For the price you can not go wrong!

Oops, typo i meant a64 4000 s939 was my first pc i built myself. Few beer tonight.:)

But tbh Kaap, do not buy a 4790k unless your willing to scalp the lid of it. They dont clock well as theyre very severely temp limited due to how theyre made. A cheap air cooler will do pretty much the samne job as hundreds of pounds spent on custom watercooling. But, take the lid off and its a whole new game. Theyre a great platform to clock/tune ram on too.

As a wise man said Haswell and Haswell-E are crap but they are better than all the other alternatives.:D:)

My 5960X is a really bad overclocker

Plan B, I have a second 5960X I will try in the Red Machine.

Plan C, I have one

Plan D, There is always the intel plan.

I like using Haswell-E but I wish it overclocked better. Perhaps next time I order a 5960X I should use my real name (Robert Noyce) and get it direct from intel.:D

Not a hardcore gamer myself tbh mate, yes my cards are a bit older, cpu is pretty ok. But with an old platform like x58. You can get a very very cheap core setup for little over a hundred quid. Whack in a 290/970 even with the vram issue and your good to go for most games. I like to buy cheap sh stuff, both my 780's are sh. As gamers, the gpu is our main focus, because any cpu from the last 4-5 years is grand for gaming on with one gpu.:)

Not a hardcore gamer myself tbh mate, yes my cards are a bit older, cpu is pretty ok. But with an old platform like x58. You can get a very very cheap core setup for little over a hundred quid. Whack in a 290/970 even with the vram issue and your good to go for most games. I like to buy cheap sh stuff, both my 780's are sh. As gamers, the gpu is our main focus, because any cpu from the last 4-5 years is grand for gaming on with one gpu.:)

I like X58 as I tried one of my GTX 690s on the platform and it beat my 3960X PC quite easy.:D

There is still a lot of life in X58.:)

And I did point that out in my first post :p

Going Xfire or SLI is the Hardcore PC gamer and the Hardcore PC gamer should be running the best out there hardware wise.. And intel does just that on that front.. :D

But my main point being AMD CPUs do perfectly fine for the normal PC gaming. So much so that unless you benched you wouldn't notice the difference.

For the price you can not go wrong!

I think the days of only hardcore gamers running 2 card sli/crossfire are gone , i'd class the hardcore as more the 3 or 4 card users and even then its simply because some need that grunt at the resolution they use and not necissary because they are hard core
Back on topic , Hats off to OCUK for stepping up and sorting refunds so far :)
Stuff like this is why i'd prefer if samsung ever went in this direction they entered as a 3rd player not buying into who we already have

Last edited:
I purchased my 2 970s from here. My only proof of purchase will be my record on my account order history. I lost the paper work what came with them.

Whould i be ok returning them if required?

I purchased my 2 970s from here. My only proof of purchase will be my record on my account order history. I lost the paper work what came with them.

Whould i be ok returning them if required?
Yea it should be fine.

However I think at this point OcUK is only accepting returns for 970s that were sold as their "own brand" 970? So if you got MSI, Gigabytes, Asus etc, you'd most probably still need to wait for Nvidia to do something.

Hurray! Been waiting for my account to activate so that I can get in on the action!

I really hope Gigabyte give over and allow returns... I've come from 4 consecutive AMD cards and finally dipped into Nvidia with my G1 970. My opinion has gone from 'What a dodgy company' to 'The dodgiest company..' after all this.

What I find irritating is how Gigabyte claim the 0.5GB is reserved for system usage. Oh okay gigabyte, so that's why we see this happening on the Gtx 980 and AMD cards? Right...

Yea it should be fine.

However I think at this point OcUK is only accepting returns for 970s that were sold as their "own brand" 970? So if you got MSI, Gigabytes, Asus etc, you'd most probably still need to wait for Nvidia to do something.

I havent yet filled out a guarentee form which normally comes with products like this nowadays. Hope thats not an issue if i want to return them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom