• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 8gb 290x in crossfire is a good option if you have a PSU to support that large power draw.
You may be right, and I've seen a few people recommend this option, but I have an 850W EVGA G2 with an OC'd 5820K CPU, plus it's in an H440 case so not the friendliest for air cooling. I foresee issues lol!

You would be OK with a good 850watt PSU. Only issue you might have is the heat output in that case.
It is a good PSU actually, and I have just seen a video on YouTube with someone testing a similar set-up and only drawing about 660W, so that's impressive. The heat would be an issue though... these cards can get toasty I have heard, even in well cooled cases.

Oh well... I consider I am noticing the stuttering... as soon as I exceed that magical 3.5GB barrier, things turn to a stutter-fest... even when the FPS is decent.

In FC4, DA:O and Dying Light...

Little bonus for me... with the recent exchange rate adjustments over here for the CHF, I'll get to upgrade my 970s -> 980s for the equivalent of about £50-70 each.

I'm not happy with how it's been happened/handled... I would consider switching to AMD, but they still suck balls... Nvidia software is still further ahead and more pleasant to use... so maybe I'm a sucker but they're still getting my money.

For the most part the GTX970s are good cards.

I would have been happier if they had just sold them as 3.5GB cards, however.

One simple driver fix I could see though... is limit the cards to 3.5GB for game-allocation and keep the OS based graphics sitting in that slower 0.5GB... Windows UI doesn't need that bandwidth.

Last edited:
What REALLY narks me is that when I bought my 970 end of last year, the OCUK 980 Reference (which I very nearly bought) was £400! GODDAMIT!

Yes setter but there's making a mistake (do you really believe they made a mistake?) and then there is trying to cover up, removing admissions, leaving Ocuk and such like to put it right, at great cost, nah mate never again, there is one vendor for me now and if they ever did this, well I'm out. :mad:
I dont know what they done tbh, and yes their response is pathetic. I work in a job that is based on reputation and quality of the job you do. If we mess up one customers house on a 50 house site, we are out of a job. It's how nvidia adress this situation is what im interested in. For me, they should admit that they misled people, wether genuine or a mistake between marketing and tech departments.

Yea basically, we're all bad humans :D. Especially humbug :o:p
Ranger, AMD are doing pretty ok on the gpu front, if they can get cpu's that do well. Id love to see that, but as it currently stands. They cant compete with intels mid range such as the haswell range.

Last edited:
What is the latest please

I have been away from this most of the day as I have been building a PC.

Ocuk are allowing returns on certain cards currently. Infact they've been nothing short of fantastic. Unfortunately the allowed brands are buried in this thread somewhere. I believe from memory EVGA have stepped up to the plate on their own and ocuk are sorting returns on any they sell as their own / galax/kfa2.

I dont know what they done tbh, and yes their response is pathetic. I work in a job that is based on reputation and quality of the job you do. If we mess up one customers house on a 50 house site, we are out of a job. It's how nvidia adress this situation is what im interested in. For me, they should admit that they misled people, wether genuine or a mistake between marketing and tech departments.

Ranger, AMD are doing pretty ok on the gpu front, if they can get cpu's that do well. Id love to see that, but as it currently stands. They cant compete with intels mid range such as the haswell range.

TBH AMD CPUs do very well for the price, yeah sure if you running multi GPUs or into video editing/recording then Intel pays the extra..

But if it was just gaming alone and you had to pick between intel or AMD to get a better GPU or something then AMD will do just fine..

The difference in gaming isn't really that much..

Ocuk are allowing returns on certain cards currently. Infact they've been nothing short of fantastic. Unfortunately the allowed brands are buried in this thread somewhere. I believe from memory EVGA have stepped up to the plate on their own and ocuk are sorting returns on any they sell as their own / galax/kfa2.

People need to watch as this unfolds when considering future purchases of GPUs.

I think Gibbo, OCUK and EVGA deserve a lot of thanks for looking after their customers and I hope they get increased sales as a result.

Gibbo deserves special thanks as he has taken the time to answer difficult questions in this thread.:)

TBH AMD CPUs do very well for the price, yeah sure if you running multi GPUs or into video editing/recording then Intel pays the extra..

But if it was just gaming alone and you had to pick between intel or AMD to get a better GPU or something then AMD will do just fine..

I'd agree with that. The same also applies to overclocks on the haswell chips, I hardly see a difference from stock to a fairly aggressive OC.

Mate, the last decent cpu AMD made was on s939 with the athlon 64 range. C2d came out, intel havent looked back since. Yes i run a modern mediocre mid range intel cpu in the 4790k, a factory gimped hot running pos tbh. Yet amd has nothing that comes close to it, heck they cant compete with the ancient intel i7 900 bloomfield i have in my second pc. And if i want to give it a boost, 60 quid will net a xeon hex core that will overclock to 4ghz with ease and match my 4790k at its stock speed.

Last edited:
That is better than anything I have got.:eek:

I would love to build a 4790k based system with a fast card for benching.:)
Oops, typo i meant a64 4000 s939 was my first pc i built myself. Few beer tonight.:)

But tbh Kaap, do not buy a 4790k unless your willing to scalp the lid of it. They dont clock well as theyre very severely temp limited due to how theyre made. A cheap air cooler will do pretty much the samne job as hundreds of pounds spent on custom watercooling. But, take the lid off and its a whole new game. Theyre a great platform to clock/tune ram on too.

Mate, the last decent cpu AMD made was on s939 with the athlon 64 range. C2d came out, intel havent looked back since. Yes i run a modern mediocre mid range intel cpu in the 4790k, a factory gimped hot running pos tbh. Yet amd has nothing that comes close to it, heck they cant compete with the ancient intel i7 900 bloomfield i have in my second pc. And if i want to give it a boost, 60 quid will net a xeon hex core that will overclock to 4ghz with ease and match my 4790k at its stock speed.

But like I said if you have your 4790k and 780ti and then used same GPU with a 9590 or 9370 hell even 8350 overclocked. I dont think you would notice the difference in gaming performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom