• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
8gb is fantastic for future proofing too as I think that most next gen cards won't even have that much memory.
It will be interesting if that's the case... I figured 8GB cards were inevitable within the next year or so, what with more and more games hitting above 4GB now. Makes me wonder exactly what the 3xx series will bring to the table that would make it a MUST buy over a 970/980 then? You'd hope the power/heat issues would be addressed and improved, but that won't be enough if they want to steal back market share, even with the 970 'scandal' sending more customers their way.

Last edited:
If I was building a dream PC it would have four 290X 8GB in it with a 3440x1440 monitor, nuff said, enough horsepower and enough VRAM to never run out.

But remember this AMD crossfire works far better on X79/X99 platform as it's silky smooth, but on Z97 it can suffer from stutter, something Freesync might remedy though.

Fixed.:D:)

What OCUK are doing is so incredibly admirable.

I'll be hanging onto my 970, it's a great card for what I do. The 980 equivalent of the HOF is so unbelievably expensive! I cannot afford nor justify returning my 970 and paying the extra. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and insist on having the HOF for my upcoming colour scheme. :rolleyes:

Somehow I feel like ocuk may profit from this, what with all the upgrades people are making as a result.

Some going up to 980's, and mugs like me going trifire 290x 8gb.

It will be interesting if that's the case... I figured 8GB cards were inevitable within the next year or so, what with more and more games hitting above 4GB now. Makes me wonder exactly what the 3xx series will bring to the table that would make it a MUST buy over a 970/980 then? You'd hope the power/heat issues would be addressed and improved, but that won't be enough if they want to steal back market share, even with the 970 'scandal' sending more customers their way.

My guess is memory demands for the next few years will hit a bit of a plateau now that the next gen consoles are with us and probably won't spike again until the following generation of consoles.

If I was building a dream PC it would have three 290X 8GB in it with a 3440x1440 monitor, nuff said, enough horsepower and enough VRAM to never run out.

But remember this AMD crossfire works far better on X79/X99 platform as it's silky smooth, but on Z97 it can suffer from stutter, something Freesync might remedy though.

Right now with what is current, this is definitely true with anything above 1440p. I'd happily sell 8GB 290x to people all day long, you just need to factor in that when looking at that many pixels and cards, water makes a huge difference. Both TITANS and 290x when paired up 2 or more can get the room toasty.

I really know little about gfx cards compared to most of you but i'm still unsure what to do. I'll most likely be gaming at 1080p but maybe higher at some point.

With this NVIDIA memory debacle, am I likely to encounter stutter and performances problems running at 1080p ultra settings for most new games? Is the 970 likely to hold its own for games coming out this year and next?

I, like most feel like i've made a bad purchase, but returning it isn't quite a viable option for my system either.

I wonder if developers or NVIDIA could implement solutions so that games do not try and write to the .5gb slow ram, or whether games can be optimised in a way that cleverly uses this slower memory for parts of the game or operating system that do not require fast performance. Then again, a lot of what i read about pc gaming is badly optimised ports of aaa games so i'm sceptical.

I'll admit I don't quite get my head around it all.

Hi there

I now have a final update on all brands:

YES BRANDS! (Supporting OcUK)

OcUK Brand: We support these ourselves as customer is king.
KFA2 (Formerly Galax): Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal.
Inno3D: Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal.
EVGA: Supporting OcUK to keep our cost minimal and offering step up for customers contacting them directly.
Asus: No decision but their support in past has being legendary so we are confident they will have our backs.
Zotac: Looking into it but want to support but need final decision to come form big boss, looking good though!
Palit: Now supporting OcUK with our returns! :)
MSI: MSI are covering OcUK for all our returns! :)

NO BRANDS! (Refusing to support as still waiting for a decision)

- Gigabyte: Will not accept returns yet, but have not come to a final decision. As such OcUK shall still take them back and cover all the cost ourselves should Gigabyte decide not to support.

I am really hopeful the NO brands decisions next week will be to support us and I am sure they will as Gigabyte are a great company.

In short OcUK will now accept returns on all brands should you be unhappy with your purchase, the window for returning a 970 is between now and end of February.

I must inform customers that 970 performance is absolutely mind blowing and is the best all round performance card sub £300, the only faster single GPU card is the 980, but cost a lot more and the extra performance does not justify the extra cost. This makes the 970 still the performance bargain at sub £300! The stuttering some customers are experiencing, some customers are not experiencing or are also experiencing on other GPU's, so this does mean that issues some are experiencing are simply down to drivers/system configuration, so do try different drivers and updates first. Then some games simply run poor on all GPU platforms. So please bear in mind as 970 is the card everyone was raving about only a week ago, nothing has changed, it is still the same awesome product it was previously and still is. But if you are truly unhappy then please contact OcUK returns in regards to your 970 purchase (all brands).

Here are some performance stats:

• There is no issue with the 970 product, this is by design from NVIDIA in the 970 GPU
• There is a $220 delta in the price of the 970 vs. the 980
• There is only a 3% performance delta of the 970 vs. the 980
• If Direct Customer has an irate customer that wants to return the board, let the customer return it.

In order to try and assist further we have included some performance data below so that you can see actual testing results between the GTX 970 and the GTX 980.

Shadows of Mordor: GTX 980 GTX970
<3.5GB settings: 2688x1512 Very High 72FPS 60FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3456x1944 Very High 55FPS (24%) 45FPS (-25%)
Relative performance difference: 1%

Battlefield 4:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 2xMSAA 36FS 30FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 135% res. 19FPS (-47%) 15FPS (-50%)
Relative performance difference: 3%

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS off 82FPS 71FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS on 48FPS (-41%) 40FPS (-44%)

As you can see above the relative performance difference varies from 1% in Shadows of Mordor, to 3% in Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The performance differences between a 970 and 980 in the above examples remain a constant 15-19%, regardless of memory usage.

I hope that the above information helps clarify the performance from the GTX 970.

OcUK & Caseking believes customer is King!

OcUK believes the customer is king and this is why we are offering this to ONLY our customers on all brands even though some of the brands have not yet made decisions.

I hope this will go a long way in securing in peoples minds that OcUK has changed since several years ago when it comes to customer service and now we truly are the best in the industry and without a doubt the Kings of graphics card. We offer the largest range, we have the most exclusives and our prices are competitive if not the best. You then get so much more with OcUK also, these forums with staff around the clock monitoring and helping out and our legendary customer service.

We are not a faceless company and the customer truly is King in our opinion!

Have a great weekend and those who are 100% returning cards please don't all ring or email at once and give it some real thought if an RMA is what you really wish to do because as I say this issue is blown hugely out of proportion, the 970 is still simply epic and will remain the great card it is.

Over and out!

H'onwards
H'upwards

Gibbo

P.S. To make it clear OcUK & Caseking will accept all brands back if you truly are unhappy, our companies are the best in customer service throughout UK/Europe, we are no.1 !!!! :)

P.S.2 To return a card you must contact RMA department first and then post the card back to us or bring it in person, but you must obtain an RMA first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom