A HIGH FPS GAMERS DREAM: INTEL 8086K & 9900K BUNDLES WITH FREE STUFF!!

Associate
I wouldn't do it and I am another generation behind you. The small performance gain isn't worth the massive cost and that's even more relevant to you being on a 6700k. If it's not overclocked then do so to get more performance out of it and then wait and see what Ryzen 2 bring's next year or Intels rip off prices come back down to where they should be on the 9000 series cpu's.

Yeah i think your right, i think its because the last time i upgraded it was december 2015 and it feels like its time.

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh I'ts still clocked at stock, I've never been confident enough to overclock it just seems like pure flipping magic to me.

If you mean what games am I playing, its everything from Pubg and Stellaris to War Thunder, Far Cry 5 and the latest Assassins Creed. (Being house bound leaves time for gaming)

Not sure, it's been a while since I price checked my set up, I was thinking of building a htpc using my old gear after any upgrades but am not sure it's worth it.

Soldato
OK so will this be an upgrade on my i7 2600k clocked at 4.6ghz with 16gb of ddr3 ram? I game at 4k and have a 1080ti.... Im so tempted to buy this but i have to know that it is worth it and going to be as future proof..... Opinions wanted as this deal wont be on forever lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so will this be an upgrade on my i7 2600k clocked at 4.6ghz with 16gb of ddr3 ram? I game at 4k and have a 1080ti.... Im so temped buy this but i have to know that it is worth it and going to be as future proof..... Opinions wanted as this deal wont be on forever lol
Come on peeps, normally people are falling over themselves to advise if its worth an upgrade or not from one piece of hardware to another..... :D

Soldato
OK so will this be an upgrade on my i7 2600k clocked at 4.6ghz with 16gb of ddr3 ram? I game at 4k and have a 1080ti.... Im so tempted to buy this but i have to know that it is worth it and going to be as future proof..... Opinions wanted as this deal wont be on forever lol

You'll get the benefit of of having 5ghz + for single/ dual cores games . Most recent AAA titles like Battlefield , COD, AS:O and Tomb raider eat up extra threads they could take . Naturally going from 4 cores to 8 and double the threads make sense- but your also pushing 4k so CPU hasn't the main factor - if you need to grab the extra 5 frames to make a stable 30fps+ min frame rate then it will help. If you were gaming at 1080p then min frame rate gain would be a LOT higher

also had a loot at what you could sell your core components for to make up any cash ?

as for future proof, no idea about new CPUs going in , but an 8 core / 16 thread 5ghz all cores chip should last just as long at your second gen i7 has , Plus 6 years easily

Soldato
You'll get the benefit of of having 5ghz + for single/ dual cores games . Most recent AAA titles like Battlefield , COD, AS:O and Tomb raider eat up extra threads they could take . Naturally going from 4 cores to 8 and double the threads make sense- but your also pushing 4k so CPU hasn't the main factor - if you need to grab the extra 5 frames to make a stable 30fps+ min frame rate then it will help. If you were gaming at 1080p then min frame rate gain would be a LOT higher

also had a loot at what you could sell your core components for to make up any cash ?

as for future proof, no idea about new CPUs going in , but an 8 core / 16 thread 5ghz all cores chip should last just as long at your second gen i7 has , Plus 6 years easily
Thanks for the reply. Im in expecting a huge increase of frames here but id like less lows and jsut need a few more to make games like the Witcher 3 a stable 60fps. Ive been waiting a waiting for the right deal to come along to replace my MSI Z68 board and ageing 2600k CPU and i think this is the one... How is this MoBo for overclocking? I understand it isnt the 7 but my MSI Z68 G3 has been rock solid for 5 years plus and i need that kind of reliability repeated with this board.

Soldato

Just to make it clear... im thinking of the 8086k upgrade not the 9900k upgrade... So it will be 6 cores and not the 8 cores you have mentioned... Im a little worried about the power delivery of the MoBo in this bundle. Any chance of a swap out of this board and adding in the Gaming 7 board instead @Gibbo ? Id be happy to pay the difference....

Soldato
Just to make it clear... im thinking of the 8086k upgrade not the 9900k upgrade... So it will be 6 cores and not the 8 cores you have mentioned... Im a little worried about the power delivery of the MoBo in this bundle. Any chance of a swap out of this board and adding in the Gaming 7 board instead @Gibbo ? Id be happy to pay the difference....

Aorus z370 Gaming 7 is damn good board with features, if running 8 core would select budget z390 ... The 12 phase VRM is impressive, so far only brand not to fail AVX tests at stock speeds without active air cooling in the VRM .
If your just gaming on the Machine, no AVX or workloads with 5ghz overclock, ultra board would be fine

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £808.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Though would personally push the 8 core, if you had the i5 then fare enough jumping to the 8700/8086k , but least with 9th you've got the extra speed, higher overclock possibilities as well as not needing a river to cool it - but lose the SSD

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £798.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Though you can see why for the extra £200 odd the flagship 9900k bundle is such good value !--- well if you can called Intel pricing good value... Haha

Extra clock speed will eek out the few extra frames, but as always, the GPU is the one that nabs the frames highest boost

Soldato
Thanks for the extra bundle suggestions.

Yea totally but pushing that sub 800 price to an over 1k price might get me divorced!! :D. I can put the 9900k in the 370 board later on right? I cant help but feel that the 8086k will have a better resale value in several years time when i want to upgrade again...

Plus, if i start thinking about spending over 1k then i start thinking about getting 2080ti as the 1080ti Strix OC is selling really well at the moment. Ive seen them going for between 550 and 600 quid!!

Have you ever considered a GPU upgrade program OCUK?

Soldato
Thanks for the extra bundle suggestions.

Yea totally but pushing that sub 800 price to an over 1k price might get me divorced!! :D. I can put the 9900k in the 370 board later on right? I cant help but feel that the 8086k will have a better resale value in several years time when i want to upgrade again...

Plus, if i start thinking about spending over 1k then i start thinking about getting 2080ti as the 1080ti Strix OC is selling really well at the moment. Ive seen them going for between 550 and 600 quid!!

Have you ever considered a GPU upgrade program OCUK?

8086k should have same resale value as 8700k - same chip pretty much. and depending on how the 'core wars' work out etc

you can , would recommend doing it in a flagship board like the 7 or Hero, taichi etc if you plan to overclock it . 8 cores does pull a lot and see why Gigabyte jumped up to 12 phase set up . Again depends how much you want to push the chip with OC - and as you've mentioned it'll just be used for gaming

Soldato
8086k should have same resale value as 8700k - same chip pretty much. and depending on how the 'core wars' work out etc

you can , would recommend doing it in a flagship board like the 7 or Hero, taichi etc if you plan to overclock it . 8 cores does pull a lot and see why Gigabyte jumped up to 12 phase set up . Again depends how much you want to push the chip with OC - and as you've mentioned it'll just be used for gaming
You keep mentioning 8 cores.... The 8700k and 8086k are 6 cores right? Do you not think that the 8086k effectively being a binned chip as well as an anniversary edition have a little better of a resale advantage over the standard 8700k even of they are effectively the same chip?

Soldato
I think this discussion has been pretty helpful actually. Its helped me work out what i need to make my next upgrade worth the money and time that i will expect have it for before my next upgrade and for my OCing requirements....

The CPU and RAM are about there but the MoBo isnt quiet at the level id like it. I need to be looking towards a 370 Gaming 7 or a ASUS Hero.... Same really as this is such a good deal but not quite what i think i require... :(

Caporegime
@orbitalwalsh I'ts still clocked at stock, I've never been confident enough to overclock it just seems like pure flipping magic to me.

If you mean what games am I playing, its everything from Pubg and Stellaris to War Thunder, Far Cry 5 and the latest Assassins Creed. (Being house bound leaves time for gaming)

Not sure, it's been a while since I price checked my set up, I was thinking of building a htpc using my old gear after any upgrades but am not sure it's worth it.

speak to locky . he had same chip. ocd to 4.6 went to a 8086k at 5ghz.

Soldato
You keep mentioning 8 cores.... The 8700k and 8086k are 6 cores right? Do you not think that the 8086k effectively being a binned chip as well as an anniversary edition have a little better of a resale advantage over the standard 8700k even of they are effectively the same chip?

good marketing from intel , it does use less voltage for most , but doens;t always hit higher clock speed when OC on all cores as 8700k- basically you know on core CAN HIT 5GHZ 100%

I think this discussion has been pretty helpful actually. Its helped me work out what i need to make my next upgrade worth the money and time that i will expect have it for before my next upgrade and for my OCing requirements....

The CPU and RAM are about there but the MoBo isnt quiet at the level id like it. I need to be looking towards a 370 Gaming 7 or a ASUS Hero.... Same really as this is such a good deal but not quite what i think i require... :(

good to clear stock - board is fine with 8086k and offers wifi found on B360/H370 boards that beats more of its rivals whilst being on the z370 chip . audio is also Gigabytes strong's - queue the Master and Xtreme insane set up on that haha .

if you were going from the i5 4 core would have said 8086k would have been a damn good push , since your on i7 - doubling the cores makes more sense , but hits your wallet

ram and ssd make the deal nice along with rma/rep support in the long run

Back
Top Bottom