A thread with photos and things.

Associate
For your astro shot you'd be better stacking them to really make the dust pop. I'd take around 6-10 exposures and 1 foreground shot of either a silhouetted or painted subject.

Here's a couple really good guides for stacking and then popping

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Oh those may be handy for future shots ta. I used the ETTR method because I'm in the city, stacking doesn't work so well whereas ETTR gathers more information at higher ISO without the noise.

Associate
You can mask/stack ETTR frames to emphasise the dust, although I'd only use a couple of them and be quite generous with the masking, especially in the city.

The Night Sim has been invaluable and has saved me many a wasted trip, or allowed me to prepare/bring an Astrotrac.

And this site is also good for finding local dark sites

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Some top reading links thanks. I have a long night session at the end of the month on the Isle of Wight so will see what I can come up with.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
A little work in progress, water tested, seems to be a hit so far, more to come I guess!

14851694664_71e7c3dc8b_b.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
A few reasons I couldn't at this venue, not wide e ough and not a surrounding I could work with being surrounded by trees all round. Perhaps the next shoot though and I'm ordering the 14mm as soon as I can!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Composite so harder to work with colour on this but...
A26A3394_Edit-2_2.jpg

A few more from the day:

A26A3359.jpg

A26A3156.jpg

A26A3139.jpg

A26A3080.jpg

A26A3061.jpg

Lastly I'm quite fond of this chance capture during the speeches!

Soldato
Composite so harder to work with colour on this but...
A26A3394_Edit-2_2.jpg

I saw this on your FB page the other day, I was going to mention the sky, but didn't want to annoy the bride who no doubt watches your page :D

Just a thing that was bugging me about the sky. As it's not black, it really doesn't match with the trees for me, and looks like a composite. I know most won't care about that, but it bugged me :D It would look better if darker, if not black. Maybe graduating towards the darker as it lowers (which is obviously opposite to how it should look, but would fit better).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I saw this on your FB page the other day, I was going to mention the sky, but didn't want to annoy the bride who no doubt watches your page :D

Just a thing that was bugging me about the sky. As it's not black, it really doesn't match with the trees for me, and looks like a composite. I know most won't care about that, but it bugged me :D It would look better if darker, if not black. Maybe graduating towards the darker as it lowers (which is obviously opposite to how it should look, but would fit better).

Yeah as I mentioned in an earlier comment, this venue is in the perfect location for star shots (Middle of New Forest( but the surroundings don't work so well for it as you have large floodlights illuminating the trees directly around the site which you can see in the photo and as such it creates a look and feel that you and I would probably spot quickly whereas the average person wouldn't even notice.

One to keep an eye on at the next venue I guess :p

Caporegime
Yeah as I mentioned in an earlier comment, this venue is in the perfect location for star shots (Middle of New Forest( but the surroundings don't work so well for it as you have large floodlights illuminating the trees directly around the site which you can see in the photo and as such it creates a look and feel that you and I would probably spot quickly whereas the average person wouldn't even notice.

One to keep an eye on at the next venue I guess :p

Why not shoot from the other direction ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Because the trees are taller and it's just a big wall of trees blocking the stars. The galactic core was that side too but no hope of seeing them with the trees in the way. Come on now, don't you think I'd have ventured through all possible directions? :p

A26A1805.jpg

I like the 35 1.4 for the dof it creates on wider room shots. Works well for the getting ready prep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom