Poll: Abortion, Roe v. Wade

What is you're opinion on abortion ?

• Fully pro-life, including Embryo

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Pro-life but exceptions for morning after pill and IUDs

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Pro-choice but up until heartbeat limit of 6-weeks

Votes: 64 9.6%
  • Pro-choice up to pre-viability limit (based on local legislation)

Votes: 451 67.6%
  • Fully pro-choice until birth

Votes: 110 16.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
If you're pro-choice then please be fully on board with that and agree that women should be able to abort their unborn babies until they are literally out of their bodies. @Devilman I assume you are ok with aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born? Your position is clear on this, it is their body and their choice.

Associate
If you're pro-choice then please be fully on board with that and agree that women should be able to abort their unborn babies until they are literally out of their bodies. @Devilman I assume you are ok with aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born? Your position is clear on this, it is their body and their choice.
If you're pro-life then please be fully on board with that and agree that women should be forced to carry their baby to term, regardless of genetic defect, pregnancy complications or method of conception (consensual vs rape) with no regard for their wishes as a human being.

I assume you are ok with women and babies dying from complications such as ectopic pregnancy, detached placenta and a whole host of others which are a fatal risk to both baby and fetus? Your position is clear on this - you think you can see inside my head. Lets take a look inside yours shall we?

Soldato
If you're pro-life then please be fully on board with that and agree that women should be forced to carry their baby to term, regardless of genetic defect, pregnancy complications or method of conception (consensual vs rape) with no regard for their wishes as a human being.

I assume you are ok with women and babies dying from complications such as ectopic pregnancy, detached placenta and a whole host of others which are a fatal risk to both baby and fetus? Your position is clear on this - you think you can see inside my head. Lets take a look inside yours shall we?

You've stated your position and not answered my question, my personal opinion is that abortion is a serious procedure, it should be done as early as possible, once babies are "viable" or close to viable as humans then it should never happen. Period. Ideally abortions are done at latest 12 weeks, earlier if possible. Later than 12 weeks by exception up to viability. Exceptions will be rare and involve special cases where the woman was raped or there is danger to life.

Please answer my question now, if you are pro-choice then your position is clear I would say, otherwise stop claiming to be pro-choice because you aren't.

Associate
The position that only women are affected by abortion legislation only works if you believe that embryos/fetuses/babies have no value.

As such surely it's not that hard to see why people who support limits on abortion due to placing some kind of value on an embryo/fetus/baby would disagree?

It's one of those points which gets wheeled out every time, but it only actually makes sense to the people who are already completely and unreservedly pro-choice.

Maybe there are other arguments for only letting women have a say, but the 'it only affects women's bodies' statement is a consequence of deciding foetuses have no value, and doesn't stand on its own.

It is not a matter of value. The very use of the term is a way of attempting to influence discussion and affect a sense of "moral outrage" at the notion of considering something "worthless"

It is a matter of definitions.
For many pro-life they believe the definition of "life starting" to be conception.
For many pro-choice they seem to have a slightly more varied range, but generally seems to center around the notion of "can it survive by itself (with the help of our medical technology and knowledge) outside the womb by itself"

Associate
You've stated your position and not answered my question, my personal opinion is that abortion is a serious procedure, it should be done as early as possible, once babies are "viable" or close to viable as humans then it should never happen. Period. Ideally abortions are done at latest 12 weeks, earlier if possible. Later than 12 weeks by exception up to viability. Exceptions will be rare and involve special cases where the woman was raped or there is danger to life.

Please answer my question now, if you are pro-choice then your position is clear I would say, otherwise stop claiming to be pro-choice because you aren't.
Please show me where I stated...
@Devilman I assume you are ok with aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born? Your position is clear on this, it is their body and their choice.
I'll wait.

Soldato

They should have the autonomy to have the baby removed by induced labour or caesarian after the point of viability if they no longer wish to carry the baby.

In the same vein, if you're pro-life then the fetus is a citizen and benefits should start at the point of conception, maternity grants, and maternity leave should begin immediately as it would otherwise be classed as child labour.

Why are you, as pro-life allowed concessions but someone that's pro-choice isn't?

Caporegime
OP
You are quite correct, the pro life camp is not just men, there are indeed women there also. However if *only* women were allowed to vote on legislation surrounding abortion, it would indeed have the effect of giving women the power to decide, without interference of people whom are not affected by said legislation.
Very few issues in the world effect only a singular group of individuals with no effect on anyone else, as such this is a pretty unique situation which is unlikely to be replicated in any other such manner.
If the situation were reversed and it was deemed that all males should be forced to undergo reversible vasectomy, how many men would be willing to let women have a say on the matter?

Just because something is "the way it is now" does not mean it is the way it *should* be, that it is *fair* or even humane... Do not forget it is really not that long ago when "legislation" claimed that those of coloured skin were property and women were not worthy of voting so had no say over their lives. Times change, things evolve.

That last part is vague and doesn’t really address the obvious issues. Again it’s not like women only live in constituencies with female MPs nor is it the case that there are separate male and female MPs for each constituency. At what point do you even decide something is a male only or woman only issue? How is a woman living in an area with a male elected representative able to be represented on this? Likewise suppose some female MP is elected who can vote on this issue but most women constituents supported another candidate…

What other dividing lines should be drawn - only elderly MPs permitted to vote on some elderly issues? Only Jewish and Muslim MPs allowed to vote on religious circumcision? Or perhaps only male MPs?

It doesn’t seem to be particularly feasible or even particularly useful.

Soldato
They should have the autonomy to have the baby removed by induced labour or caesarian after the point of viability if they no longer wish to carry the baby.

In the same vein, if you're pro-life then the fetus is a citizen and benefits should start at the point of conception, maternity grants, and maternity leave should begin immediately as it would otherwise be classed as child labour.

Why are you, as pro-life allowed concessions but someone that's pro-choice isn't?

I didn't join some arbitrary camp or "team", those are my personal views. I don't think Devilman even has stated views, he's just here to disagree

Soldato

And 90% of all terminations are before 10 weeks, those after 24 weeks are in agreement with multiple professionals , and are usually (see previous statistics) as a results of a pregnancy failure mid term. No one is ripping term babies out of a mother (at term) and killing them.

Soldato
And 90% of all terminations are before 10 weeks, those after 24 weeks are in agreement with multiple professionals , and are usually (see previous statistics) as a results of a pregnancy failure mid term. No one is ripping term babies out of a mother (at term) and killing them.

Well, some people are in America actually, late term abortions is a thing that happens.

Soldato
It is not a matter of value. The very use of the term is a way of attempting to influence discussion and affect a sense of "moral outrage" at the notion of considering something "worthless"

It is a matter of definitions.
For many pro-life they believe the definition of "life starting" to be conception.
For many pro-choice they seem to have a slightly more varied range, but generally seems to center around the notion of "can it survive by itself (with the help of our medical technology and knowledge) outside the womb by itself"
Surely if you value a fetus in any way then an abortion doesn't 'just' affect a woman's body though? It affects a woman's body and the fetus.

I will acknowledge using the world 'value' does lead thoughts in a certain direction, but what would a better word be? I would argue it's less leading than failing to acknowledge the existence of a fetus at all, which the 'it only affects women's bodies' statement does.

Kind of sounds like you're agreeing with me about the 'it only affects women's bodies' not being a very useful argument though :p

Soldato
Seems to me that much of these arguments go unspoken. No matter what people think about abortion we have to balance the consequence of either choice.
We rarely seem to talk about what happens to an unwanted child if it is born. Should an unwanted child be raised by the parents who didn't want it? Could the system cope with all those additional births? Could the system cope with all the additional adoptions? Would the courts be able to cope with all the fathers who didn't want the child disappearing? How would we deal with the huge increase in illegal abortions? How many women would die? I think if we were honest the answers to some of these questions are why some people condone abortions in the first place.

Associate
I didn't join some arbitrary camp or "team", those are my personal views. I don't think Devilman even has stated views, he's just here to disagree
That's strange, as just moment ago you claimed...
@Devilman I assume you are ok with aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born? Your position is clear on this, it is their body and their choice.

It would seem to me you are confused old chap, one moment you claim I made my position clear, then you say I haven't, which is it?

Ironically in the very same post you "assumed" I was "ok with aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born?" - which surely would have been entirely unnecessary (making an assumption) had my position indeed been clear?

Also why is it that you default to the assumption that someone who is "pro-choice" by default is the most horrific monster version you can imagine - (I quote) "aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born?" Why the need for such rampant hysteria? - This is exactly the kind of language used by those looking to evoke an emotional response from a person, rather than a more thought-out, logical and balanced response? We've seen people in this very thread wishing people to "go to sleep at night with the sounds of the screaming babies they murdered" - it's absurd to resort to such levels in an attempt to elicit an emotive response from someone, rather than allow them to consider the argument rationally.

I truly doubt anybody that is "pro-choice" would be advocating the aborting of a baby at 8 months 3 weeks, or before the day they were due to be born. However many that are "pro-life" are advocating that a woman should be forced to go through pregnancy, regardless of their wishes and in some cases, even against their health.

Personally my position is more along the lines of pro-choice up to a determined "viability limit" (determined by medical experts in the field) with exceptions if there is a risk of life to either mother or child - It seems the most fair, balanced compromise you can manage to achieve.

Associate
Surely if you value a fetus in any way then an abortion doesn't 'just' affect a woman's body though? It affects a woman's body and the fetus.

I will acknowledge using the world 'value' does lead thoughts in a certain direction, but what would a better word be? I would argue it's less leading than failing to acknowledge the existence of a fetus at all, which the 'it only affects women's bodies' statement does.

Kind of sounds like you're agreeing with me about the 'it only affects women's bodies' not being a very useful argument though :p
However if you do not value a 3 day-fertilized egg anymore than a bunch of skin cells on your arm, then it does 'just' affect a woman's body though?

Is a 3 day-fertilized egg to be considered the same as a 6 month old fetus? - This is something you often note is lacking in the arguments from the vocal pro-life supporters, preferring instead the tendency for hysterical over-reactions and "doom scenarios" of aborting 8 month 3 week old babies.

This is the round-about issue sadly.

Indeed the word value tends to have inferred connotations which get in the way of what is really the issue. Also it is arguable to say that even "fetus" can cause an emotive response in people which can affect their judgement, it does not adequately reflect the various stages of embryo development to reality and people start conjuring up images in their mind of fit-healthy babies being "terminated", rather than a cluster of several hundred cells that is maybe a few days since fertilization. I would honestly suggest the appropriate term in this discussion is simply "life". Is it, or Isn't it?

If you define "life" as being from the moment of conception, then you will of course "value" that and as such can argue it does not just affect a woman's body.

If you define "life" as being when the fetus becomes viable outside the womb, with the help of medical technology and knowledge, then it's quite possible that little to no value may be attributed to it, or a varying amount based upon time.

As such the argument of whether it "only" affects the woman comes back around to when do you define "life" ?

If it's from conception then of course any action taken will affect both the mother and the embryo / fetus (depending on development stage)
If it's from viability though, it could easily by argued that the only person being affected is the woman.

So no, I wouldn't say it's not a very useful argument, but I will concede that depending upon the person's view of when "life" occurs, it may be considered valid or invalid :confused::D

Last edited:
Soldato
Also why is it that you default to the assumption that someone who is "pro-choice" by default is the most horrific monster version you can imagine - (I quote) "aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born?" Why the need for such rampant hysteria? - This is exactly the kind of language used by those looking to evoke an emotional response from a person, rather than a more thought-out, logical and balanced response? We've seen people in this very thread wishing people to "go to sleep at night with the sounds of the screaming babies they murdered" - it's absurd to resort to such levels in an attempt to elicit an emotive response from someone, rather than allow them to consider the argument rationally.

I think the why is pretty obvious - without restoring to hysteria and emotive language, there is no rational argument against abortion up to the age of viability (or at least any argument which does exist escapes the intellect of those posters in this thread).

Soldato
That's strange, as just moment ago you claimed...

It would seem to me you are confused old chap, one moment you claim I made my position clear, then you say I haven't, which is it?

Ironically in the very same post you "assumed" I was "ok with aborting babies at 8 months and 3 weeks, or before the day they are due to be born?" - which surely would have been entirely unnecessary (making an assumption) had my position indeed been clear?

I truly doubt anybody that is "pro-choice" would be advocating the aborting of a baby at 8 months 3 weeks, or before the day they were due to be born. However many that are "pro-life" are advocating that a woman should be forced to go through pregnancy, regardless of their wishes and in some cases, even against their health.

Personally my position is more along the lines of pro-choice up to a determined "viability limit" (determined by medical experts in the field) with exceptions if there is a risk of life to either mother or child - It seems the most fair, balanced compromise you can manage to achieve.

Ok so you have the same position as me, you aren't pro-choice. So for people who are who say it's their body and their choice, then surely that position doesn't stop at viability, otherwise that's not really the argument because the baby is still in their body. There are definitely people with extreme views that you doubt exist, such as there are people with I would argue with the less extreme view that life begins at conception

Soldato
Ok so you have the same position as me, you aren't pro-choice. So for people who are who say it's their body and their choice, then surely that position doesn't stop at viability, otherwise that's not really the argument because the baby is still in their body. There are definitely people with extreme views that you doubt exist, such as there are people with I would argue the less extreme view that life begins at conception

Shock horror as people's opinions and decisions are based on nuances rather than absolutes :rolleyes:

It's almost as if the poll should have been created with multiple options to take that into account...

Back
Top Bottom