Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Soldato
Also people who just got this laptop. You have to use old ati and intel drivers to be able to switch graphics inside windows. These old drivers dont have hardware accelleration etc.
The way I do it is use my modified bios and change the graphics from the bios. Set it to ati only or intel only. Means the other is disabled in windows and you can install the latest graphics drivers for the graphics you choose. This does mean you have to restart and enter bios settings when you want to switch graphics, but its not like you should need to switch back and forward frequently anyway.
:)

Are you sure this is right? do you have any links or other info regarding this to confirm/back it up?

With programs such as Arcsoft Total Media Theatre and PowerDVD, the hardware acceleration option is always there and ticked on my 8371 (it's not greyed out like it would be on a system that doesn't support hardware acceleration).

By all accounts the Intel 4500 was pretty much designed for high definition playback and has a high level of hardware acceleration for this purpose as far as I know (clicky) and I'm almost positive the ATI card will have it also (clicky).

Granted the drivers need to support it but considering that the hardware came first before the drivers I'd expect even the earliest version of the driver to support the capabilities of both cards.

As far as I'm concerned hardware acceleration is working fine here? :confused:

Associate
Guys, can anybody tell me how to turn the flashing wireless activity off? Gets quite annoying.

Also do you know how I can detect if the webcam is on? I don't like it how there isn't some kind of indicator.

Thanks.

Any ideas anyone? Cheers

Soldato
Most probably not, you should be fine without it. I didn't need it but when running win experience index the hdd score was capped at 5.9 and installing those drivers fixed it for me.

im only getting 4.3 index

something wrong?

if updated graphics driver and AHCI too

edit:
and fingerprint driver gets half way and hangs :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got mine (had to fetch it from TNT) and the thing keeps shutting its self down!! Think i've got a dud :( I've disabled graphics switching to see if it makes any difference and it seems to have installed Windows7 now.. I want to update the BIOS but really don't want it to shut down half way through!!!

The WD HD has also been removed as it's only 5400RPM apparently.

Associate
Are you sure this is right? do you have any links or other info regarding this to confirm/back it up?

With programs such as Arcsoft Total Media Theatre and PowerDVD, the hardware acceleration option is always there and ticked on my 8371 (it's not greyed out like it would be on a system that doesn't support hardware acceleration).

By all accounts the Intel 4500 was pretty much designed for high definition playback and has a high level of hardware acceleration for this purpose as far as I know (clicky) and I'm almost positive the ATI card will have it also (clicky).

Granted the drivers need to support it but considering that the hardware came first before the drivers I'd expect even the earliest version of the driver to support the capabilities of both cards.

As far as I'm concerned hardware acceleration is working fine here? :confused:

Sorry I meant Adobe Flash Hardware Accelleration. Like when you watch youtube videos etc. Its only supported in version 8.15.10.2021 and later.

The one on the acer website is something earlier

Last edited:
Associate
I got this, mains powered on the dedicated graphics.

qxnxpy.png

Still on Vista (upgrading to 7 soon) pretty much out of the box

Man of Honour
Just got mine (had to fetch it from TNT) and the thing keeps shutting its self down!! Think i've got a dud :( I've disabled graphics switching to see if it makes any difference and it seems to have installed Windows7 now.. I want to update the BIOS but really don't want it to shut down half way through!!!

The WD HD has also been removed as it's only 5400RPM apparently.

Thats a shame hope you get it sorted, I thought the drives were meant to be 7200RPM?

Soldato
OP
and fingerprint driver gets half way and hangs :(

Mine did too, dont worry about it though. When it hangs leave it for afew mins and just restart, the drivers are installed when you check in device manager and it wont bother you again. I have zero intention of actually using the fingerprint reader.

Anyone got a sleeve for their 8371? I wondered if a 13" Macbook sleeve would fit?

I ordered a sleeve from the bay for around £7, it was for a 13" macbook and it fits but its a very tight squeeze. The laptop only fits in one way, battery on the outward side and because the case is abit elasticy, it stretches and you can just about manoevre the zip around the 2 corners of the laptop which are sticking out.

Those asking about Win 7 WEI scores:

28sngo0.jpg

...or thereabouts once you OC the CPU, GPU and fit a SSD. :) For instructions please read through the full thread but I will add all the details to the first page tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Thats a shame hope you get it sorted, I thought the drives were meant to be 7200RPM?

Some websites say 5400rpm some say 7200rpm. Then again when I first got this, the website I ordered from said No webcam, No Bluetooth and No fingerprint reader, but I researched elsewhere and was sure they would be present and they were.

The drives in this laptop are WD Scorpio Blue if memory serves me correct, and they are rated at 5400rpm although for the short time I had mine in, it did seem very decent and I thought it was 7200rpm myself until I took it out.

Associate
Does everyone keep the stickers that come with there laptop on, or do you take them off? The sticker with the specification and ati, windows logos etc.

Back
Top Bottom