Acer Nitro XV273KP - 4K 120/144Hz G-sync Compatable certified

Associate
Is the only difference in the screens the g sync and FreeSync ?

Yep thats my understanding but that does mean at the moment you can use G-sync+HDR together on the g-sync model, while currently you cannot use freesync + HDR together on the Freesync one. There are rumours of new firmwares that may help with things like this but they may or may not materialise.

Man of Honour
there will be other differences between the Nitro XV273K (with FreeSync) and Predator XB273K (with G-sync). For instance the XB will only offer 1x DisplayPort 1.4 and 1x HDMI 2.0 connection because of the use of the hardware G-sync module (v2). Compare that to the XV which has two of each, as it doesnt use the Gsync module and so is not as restricted.

Because it only uses a single DP 1.4 connection that means that the 4K @ 144Hz capability is likely to be different. On the XV this was achieved by using dual DP 1.4 connections and so did not require any sacrifices to colour depth or chroma. you could run at 144Hz, 4K with 10-bit colour depth and 4:4:4 chroma fine. You could not use FreeSync/VRR though at this 144Hz mode.

I expect the XB to work more like the earlier Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ / Acer Predator X27 models where the native refresh rate supported by the screen is 120Hz, with the 144Hz enabled via an overclocking feature (the 144Hz as an overclock is confirmed on acer's spec page). This would then be achieved over a single DP 1.4 connection but would necessitate colour sacrifices like those other models. So 98Hz would likely be the maximum again for full 10-bit + full chroma at 4K. It's likely though that G-sync would work up to 144Hz if you were using that mode.

Other performance areas like overdrive control for response times could well vary as well because of the G-sync module. I don't believe theyve added ULMB blur reduction on that XB model either (someone correct me if i'm wrong!) which would mean the XV has a blur reduction strobing backlight option but the XB doesn't.

Also unlike the XV which can be used for VRR from both AMD and NVIDIA cards nowadays, the XB would be limited for VRR only from compatible NVIDIA G-sync cards.

Soldato
there will be other differences between the Nitro XV273K (with FreeSync) and Predator XB273K (with G-sync). For instance the XB will only offer 1x DisplayPort 1.4 and 1x HDMI 2.0 connection because of the use of the hardware G-sync module (v2). Compare that to the XV which has two of each, as it doesnt use the Gsync module and so is not as restricted.

Because it only uses a single DP 1.4 connection that means that the 4K @ 144Hz capability is likely to be different. On the XV this was achieved by using dual DP 1.4 connections and so did not require any sacrifices to colour depth or chroma. you could run at 144Hz, 4K with 10-bit colour depth and 4:4:4 chroma fine. You could not use FreeSync/VRR though at this 144Hz mode.

I expect the XB to work more like the earlier Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ / Acer Predator X27 models where the native refresh rate supported by the screen is 120Hz, with the 144Hz enabled via an overclocking feature (the 144Hz as an overclock is confirmed on acer's spec page). This would then be achieved over a single DP 1.4 connection but would necessitate colour sacrifices like those other models. So 98Hz would likely be the maximum again for full 10-bit + full chroma at 4K. It's likely though that G-sync would work up to 144Hz if you were using that mode.

Other performance areas like overdrive control for response times could well vary as well because of the G-sync module. I don't believe theyve added ULMB blur reduction on that XB model either (someone correct me if i'm wrong!) which would mean the XV has a blur reduction strobing backlight option but the XB doesn't.

Also unlike the XV which can be used for VRR from both AMD and NVIDIA cards nowadays, the XB would be limited for VRR only from compatible NVIDIA G-sync cards.

Thanks for the in-depth reply dude, appreciate it!

Honestly though would these sacarifices regarding the colour be noticeable to the average user?

I’ve toyed with the idea of the X27 for a while, but these newer version seems much more reasonable in terms of £££

Man of Honour
Thanks for the in-depth reply dude, appreciate it!

Honestly though would these sacarifices regarding the colour be noticeable to the average user?

I’ve toyed with the idea of the X27 for a while, but these newer version seems much more reasonable in terms of £££

i really don't think most people would see any noticeable difference for gaming even when using the necessary chroma sub-sampling. have a look at the tests and my comments on the whole thing in the review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xv273k.htm#chroma

Man of Honour
I bought it from a competitor which, of course, I cannot name. But it's being shipped from China. The price I paid was £179 for a 10m cable. I'll likely have to pay import duty on that.
Ouch! Is that because you need the long cable length? Is your pc that far away from your monitor?

Back
Top Bottom