Acer Predator XR341CK/X34 34" Curved Gaming Screens with FreeSync and G-sync

Soldato
The hype balloon has thoroughly popped for this monitor though hasn't it, and however nice a little bump to 75Hz is, it's still a massive disappointment. It's virtually half what we were 'expecting' (note the inverted commas).

If by some miracle this monitor gets glowing reviews I might have a rethink. However, I've read so much bad news about these curved IPS panels and backlight bleed problems, I don't hold out much hope.

Associate
The hype balloon has thoroughly popped for this monitor though hasn't it, and however nice a little bump to 75Hz is, it's still a massive disappointment. It's virtually half what we were 'expecting' (note the inverted commas).

If by some miracle this monitor gets glowing reviews I might have a rethink. However, I've read so much bad news about these curved IPS panels and backlight bleed problems, I don't hold out much hope.

On the other hand.. like me if you were in the market for a 34" Curved and were originally looking at the LG/DELL.. this has now popped up so for me this exceeds my expectations of what I was thinking I was going to end up with. If I can get this I will be very happy!

Soldato
Fair point. But given you can get the Dell 34 curved for about £650 (and Dell build and quality and CS is good) how could you buy an Acer for £1k? Gsync and a paltry 15Hz is not worth the bump, especially as it's Acer...

I'm saying all this and I'll probably get one by the way ;)

Soldato
Samsung are missing an opportunity here. If they brought out a 3440x1440 PLS with a decent back light the competition would be crushed.

That would be nice to see. And to be honest, I just wish Samsung would make something that is >60Hz and realise it isn't all about 3D! I'm still rocking an S27A750D as one of my monitors and to be honest it compares favourably to this here XL2730Z in some aspects. :)

Soldato
I utterly fail to see the value of £1K in a 75hz monitor from Acer of all brands, despite the curve... especially come Summer and beyond. Makes little sense to me, but I'm sure plenty will buy, making even more manufacturers realise they really don't need to try that hard to make people part with their money. Shame.

Soldato
I utterly fail to see the value of £1K in a 75hz monitor from Acer of all brands, despite the curve... especially come Summer and beyond. Makes little sense to me, but I'm sure plenty will buy, making even more manufacturers realize they really don't need to try that hard to make people part with their money. Shame.

My thoughts exactly. I personally dont feel that an extra 15hz and gsync is worth another 400+ GBP. I was really looking forward to a 120hz+ 21:9 monitor as that ticks all the right boxes for me but nope apparently not gonna happen. I haven't heard a single person say they didn't like gaming on a proper 21:9 outside of the usual negatives that comes with IPS like blurring and low hz.

If only i were dictator and ruled the world.. Then i promise you guys we would get some proper tech instead of these silly 10% improvements..

Associate
I utterly fail to see the value of £1K in a 75hz monitor from Acer of all brands, despite the curve... especially come Summer and beyond. Makes little sense to me, but I'm sure plenty will buy, making even more manufacturers realise they really don't need to try that hard to make people part with their money. Shame.

Probably for the same reason 1 year ago the LG 34UM95 costed 1k too: first, unique, no competitors. Particularly the latter.

Soldato
Does anyone know from a technical standpoint what the challenge is exactly, going from 120/144Hz on an 2560x1440 display, which exists in the XB270HU, to a panel that's 'only' 34% wider? Is it REALLY that hard? I am no engineer, but I don't see that it would be an insurmountable challenge. The pricing of this monitor is insane if you ask me, for what it offers, not to mention from Acer of all brands!

Associate
Does anyone know from a technical standpoint what the challenge is exactly, going from 120/144Hz on an 2560x1440 display, which exists in the XB270HU, to a panel that's 'only' 34% wider? Is it REALLY that hard? I am no engineer, but I don't see that it would be an insurmountable challenge. The pricing of this monitor is insane if you ask me, for what it offers, not to mention from Acer of all brands!

It is that hard when you exceed the maximum bandwith available by modern connection, such as DP 1.2. Especially in real life where the used bandwith is not the theoretical one but has overhead and efficiency to take into account.

Then, besides the bandwith limitations, there are all the problems related to latency, GTG, CTC. Again, I'm talking _in practice_ not on a benchmark on paper. Modern panels simply can't do it and from a manufacturers standpoint is easier to quadruple the pixel on screen than offering incresing efficiency and real innovations. Oh but you can have 4k on your smartphone yo :facepalms:

Associate
Anyone thats waiting for the Gsync version, I've just seen pre-orders are starting to become available for the end of June. Hope OCUK send out a similar promo email soon!

Caporegime
Are any other brands going to be getting hold of these panels?

The 3440x1440 75HZ would be ideal for me I think... but not touching acer, especially for that price.

Back
Top Bottom