Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

If you care to actually read my statement above i clearly linked the CCR and explained we can made a deduction up to the contract price on the returned item under CCR.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...-and-additional-payments-regulations-2013.pdf

Point 34:

I am not saying we will do that but we are entitled too.

That only states if the goods have been handled beyond reasonable amount to deduct the quality of the product. I imagine most here will try it and pack it up and send it back. That's not unreasonable.

Also got another email from Acer Mark earlier, I was about to contact him myself today as I'd not heard anything, anyway here is what he had to say.

"The replacement has been shipped today via UPS so it will be out for delivery to you tomorrow

I need to arrange a collection for the original one so I have booked a separate collection with UPS to pick the original one up. It will be 2 separate UPS drivers as unfortunately for some reason we are unable to book it as one.

Attached is the UPS label you need to print off and attach to box for the original monitor.

Regards
Mark
Acer Escalation Team
"

First I don't understand why he is saying it's unfortunate that there will be two separate UPS drivers as when I talked to him on the phone he said there would be two. Also he says the label is for the original monitor to go back to them. I'm not happy to see these words used because I need to have time to check the new one first, I'm not just handing over the original with the risk the new one might be worse. I already talked to him about this and he said it would be one drop off of new monitor and a separate pick up of either one of them, EITHER one was what he said. :confused: :mad:

If you care to actually read my statement above i clearly linked the CCR and explained we can made a deduction up to the contract price on the returned item under CCR.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...-and-additional-payments-regulations-2013.pdf

I am not saying we will do that but we are entitled too.
You are entitled to do many things, but the way you phrase this is key, and some of what I've read on this thread does little to engender much consumer confidence. Anyone buying this monitor wants to do so without a single shred of doubt that if they're not happy with it because it doesn't meet the exceptionally high standards that a £700 piece of hardware SHOULD adhere to, then they can return it without question or fear of penalisation. The exceptionally rare occasions on which you would have to invoke the CCR regulations and charge a 25% fee apply to such a minuscule number of customers, it's barely even worth mentioning. Of course, there are always going to be a select few who abuse the system and take the proverbial wee wee, but the vast majority of your customers are honest and simply want the quality product they've paid for. Personally, I have always had a positive experience with OCUK CS, but some of the rhetoric I've read from yourselves in this thread could very easily be misinterpreted and could only serve to alienate those customers.

He has to be able to handle the goods the way he has (and anyone else) as thats what you would do in an actual store if you could. So If returning under CCR it should be either a simple right to cancel/return within the 14 days from receiving the monitor.

I always thought DSR was too easily exploited by dishonest people.

Why isn't there a rigorously defined specification for backlight bleed/uniformity in terms of % deviance?

At a minimum there needs to be disclaimers such as "may have bleed in corners" or "may have some yellow tinted areas".

I always thought DSR was too easily exploited by dishonest people.

Why isn't there a rigorously defined specification for backlight bleed/uniformity in terms of % deviance?

At a minimum there needs to be disclaimers such as "may have bleed in corners" or "may have some yellow tinted areas".
Sorry, that's a terrible idea. Do you honestly believe that wouldn't be exploited by the manufacturer/retailer? When does "some bleed/glow" become unacceptable? How would an acceptable amount be defined exactly?

Got mine yesterday, counted three dead pixels without even trying and noticed some as above some backlight bleed down the bottom, mostly in the bottom right area. Needless to say it went back, thankfully purchased from a big retailer that has excellent hassle free returns.

I have to comment. I'm OCD when it comes to anything computer related and much more besides. As I've said before, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired - the bezel is crap, the stand is average, and the power LED bleeds all over the place.

However, the panel is great. Small amount of bleed or IPS glow bottom right, and it appears to be diminishing over time.

At the end of the day, I look at the panel, not the bezel. In a perfect world, I'd love the panel with a higher build quality chassis, but there is no alternative which gives the best of all worlds at the moment.

I'm happy with my display and given the issues in the thread I will get an extended warranty (which I always decline under normal circumstances).

The only thing that worries me is that I'm a bugger for new tech, and given the rep for this screen if I decide to change at some point then I may struggle to sell it on.

At the moment though it's a great screen, and not having to mess with vsync is a godsend :-)

You are entitled to do many things, but the way you phrase this is key, and some of what I've read on this thread does little to engender much consumer confidence. Anyone buying this monitor wants to do so without a single shred of doubt that if they're not happy with it because it doesn't meet the exceptionally high standards that a £700 piece of hardware SHOULD adhere to, then they can return it without question or fear of penalisation. The exceptionally rare occasions on which you would have to invoke the CCR regulations and charge a 25% fee apply to such a minuscule number of customers, it's barely even worth mentioning. Of course, there are always going to be a select few who abuse the system and take the proverbial wee wee, but the vast majority of your customers are honest and simply want the quality product they've paid for. Personally, I have always had a positive experience with OCUK CS, but some of the rhetoric I've read from yourselves in this thread could very easily be misinterpreted and could only serve to alienate those customers.

I really just want to reiterate what Legend says here. He's hit the nail on the head. Buying something for £700, the customer should be able to assume that the product will be perfect, and if not, be entitled to a refund or replacement. Telling customers who have an issue that "we just don't see it, there is no fault" just leads to a bunch of finger pointing and a loss of trust from the customer. I am very disappointed in OcUK's handling of this matter entirely.

I think it would be best for OcUK to stop selling these screens for now until the issues with them have been fixed. Acer really needs to
stop sending them out to retailers for stocking until they've had a look at the way they have built the screen and fix the flaws with
them that is causing the backlight bleed issue and other issues.

It is obvious the screen chassis and front button LEDs seems to be causing all or most of the backlight bleed to
happen due to very poor build quality.

Us users that have bought the screen shouldn't need to have to put up with this considering the price we paid for it.

im getting mine replaced now instead of refunded by acer new stock arrives on the 25th really good timing, as the van to pick it up almost arrived :)

How did you manage to get a replacement?

Mark from the Acer swap out said to me a couple of days ago that his distributors had no more stock left and not ETA when they will be
able to get more and so suggested to me to RMA the screen back to OcUK for a refund since he won't able to get me a replacement.

How did you manage to get a replacement?

Mark from the Acer swap out said to me a couple of days ago that his distributors had no more stock left and not ETA when they will be
able to get more and so suggested to me to RMA the screen back to OcUK for a refund since he won't able to get me a replacement.

I had an email from Mark yesterday also, supposed to be one on its way, maybe today, maybe tomorrow. I don't know why some are getting one and others are not, when did you first contact OC/Acer about this?

I think it would be best for OcUK to stop selling these screens for now until the issues with them have been fixed. Acer really needs to
stop sending them out to retailers for stocking until they've had a look at the way they have built the screen and fix the flaws with
them that is causing the backlight bleed issue and other issues.

It is obvious the screen chassis and front button LEDs seems to be causing all or most of the backlight bleed to
happen due to very poor build quality.
I agree. This isn't OCUK's fault at all... the retailers are stuck in the middle here, and it's equally unfair on both them and the customer. The manufacturer just sits back and watches the cash rake in, and then tries to absolve all responsibility when the customers say they aren't satisfied, and they don't seem to be any more co-operative with the retailers either! It's just not right, and they absolutely need to be held to account. OCUK (and other retailers) have the power here... we certainly can't ask or expect everyone to stop buying them, but if a group of retailers banded together and said "we're not selling these until you sort it out", that would surely make an impact!

Back
Top Bottom