Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Interesting that a few people are not having the glow when it's supposed to be inherently a part of the technology. I think some are confusing the big yellow glow some of us have in the bottom right of the screen (apart from the backlight bleed) with the normal white glow you get when looking at the screen from an angle.

But other than Asus no one else seems to be that bothered about G Sync / Free sync, it is still a small proportion of the market, can't ever really see Dell or Samsung pushing towards full on gaming monitors anytime soon.

Gsync maybe but what's the cost of Freesync to a company like Dell? All their screens come with Display port and they will have to upgrade to the latest standard anyway. Besides Freesync will be another feature they can add to the marketing material and feature lists they give to re-sellers.

I've had two now, one from OcUK and one from elsewhere. The one from OcUK had some dead pixels so was returned under CCR (and I got a full refund, by the way, sans their initial shipping cost, but even though that should have been refunded I'm not going to argue the point).

The second one had a couple of stuck pixels which I could have lived with, but then almost identically to some others in this thread, it also had some of what appeared to be actual dirt stuck within the panel. So yes, it's not just some "batch" to OcUK or anything, they seem to have bad QC all round.

So, had new one today, unfortunately it's worse, the backlight bleed isn't as bad but I has 4-5 bits of dirt under the screen and a cluster of stuck or dead pixels, so that's going back to Acer, I'm not going to wait for any more so Mark has mentioned to get a refund on the original with OC through James Bailey, so that's what I'm going to do, was told that even though it's past the 14 days I should not have an issue with a refund, I do hope that is true.

Pictures don't pick up everything.

6fb40f9b41.jpg

bc13e49b8c.jpg

6baf31ca36.jpg

be1bf9be0f.jpg

Last edited:
According to Mark, OcUK might be receiving a new batch on or around the 25th and so those of us that have had issues
with the screen and still haven't had any replacement yet, we might be getting replacements through OcUK not him.

This still hasn't been completely confirmed yet on what's going to be exactly happening and if this is the case but
we should know more soon about this from OcUK.

Last edited:
But other than Asus no one else seems to be that bothered about G Sync / Free sync, it is still a small proportion of the market, can't ever really see Dell or Samsung pushing towards full on gaming monitors anytime soon.

Perhaps. After all, we didn't really see any competitors for the Swift... that had the market to itself for ages. It seems odd though with Dell and Samsung releasing their 34" curved screens, you'd think they would see the advantage of going that extra mile and pushing out a top notch gaming monitor. They'd dump all over Acer with QC and overall build quality, I am of no doubt.

It's a shame that there are so many people having issues with this monitor. It seems a real lottery getting a good screen. My replacement is excellent, no dead pixels etc and the glow in the bottom right corner is minimal and seems to be decreasing.
Amazing screen when playing games.

Yet again what started as a great monitor has slowly got worse, not better, on use, my 'GLOW' in the bottom right is annoying and looked better than my previous screen but now looks much worse in a dark room trying to watch a film with black bars is a no go.

I'll contact Acer in the morning but by all accounts they will send mine back and i'll now have to RMA my original screen and hope it's bad enough to be classed a fault, as i'm probably now out of the CCR window.

How do i upload a pic?

Yet again what started as a great monitor has slowly got worse, not better, on use, my 'GLOW' in the bottom right is annoying and looked better than my previous screen but now looks much worse in a dark room trying to watch a film with black bars is a no go.

I'll contact Acer in the morning but by all accounts they will send mine back and i'll now have to RMA my original screen and hope it's bad enough to be classed a fault, as i'm probably now out of the CCR window.

How do i upload a pic?

Upload it somewhere (e.g. imgur.com), get the direct link, click on
insertimage.gif
in the editor options, paste the link, send.

How long does it take for Overclockers to put reviews of there products they sell?
I thought there would be reviews up of this product lol maybe there hiding what people are saying :D

Few people have mentioned reviews have been sent in but nothing has appeared.
It does say subject to approval when you submit them I guess they just dont think the issues in this thread are still faults. Just user perception.

To be honest I dont get OCUK. They bend over backwards when something goes wrong with a GPU (eg 970) which as everyone was saying the VRAM thing was not a fault but they offered the refund scheme yet when it comes to a monitor which again they have officially said its not a fault they go quiet.

I think its because most monitors come with onsite warranty from day 1 and if they offered to sort out problems instead of advising to go with the onsite warranty it would be a major headache for them. So they keep stum and let or hope the customers go down the onsite warranty route. Just me thoughts.

Could someone with one of these panels in their possession please do me a massive favour and test it with any Displayport cable other than the (very short) one it came with?

I'm getting black screen drop-outs and system freezes on anything 85Hz+ with my Acer on a 3m Displayport 1.2 cable... I've crunched the numbers and even at 1440p @ 144Hz the bandwidth should never hit 13Gb/s, so the theoretical bandwidth of 21.6Gb/s that Displayport 1.2 provides should be fine.

Worryingly, I got the same with the supplied cable but far less frequently. On the 3m cable I can't even get it to display @ 85Hz half of the time.

I need to know if I have a faulty monitor or a weak cable, or if G-Sync adds to the load or struggles with longer cables.

Any ideas?

To be honest I dont get OCUK. They bend over backwards when something goes wrong with a GPU (eg 970) which as everyone was saying the VRAM thing was not a fault but they offered the refund scheme yet when it comes to a monitor which again they have officially said its not a fault they go quiet.

I think its because most monitors come with onsite warranty from day 1 and if they offered to sort out problems instead of advising to go with the onsite warranty it would be a major headache for them. So they keep stum and let or hope the customers go down the onsite warranty route. Just me thoughts.
It's odd I agree. They had zero backing from Nvidia over the 970 fiasco, and really went out of their way when they didn't have to. No doubt it cost them money too. That said, I do agree with what they've said about glow/bleed being somewhat inherent to so many IPS panels right now, you can't expect perfection (although bizarrely these problems have got worse vs older panels, so something clearly isn't right... lazy manufacturing, skimping on tech etc.). At the end of the day however, if I were a re-seller, I'd be point blank refusing to stock a manufacturer's product if I wasn't confident 99% of my customers would be happy... especially at this premium price point! Whatever happened to "customer is king"?

Could someone with one of these panels in their possession please do me a massive favour and test it with any Displayport cable other than the (very short) one it came with?

I'm getting black screen drop-outs and system freezes on anything 85Hz+ with my Acer on a 3m Displayport 1.2 cable... I've crunched the numbers and even at 1440p @ 144Hz the bandwidth should never hit 13Gb/s, so the theoretical bandwidth of 21.6Gb/s that Displayport 1.2 provides should be fine.

Worryingly, I got the same with the supplied cable but far less frequently. On the 3m cable I can't even get it to display @ 85Hz half of the time.

I need to know if I have a faulty monitor or a weak cable, or if G-Sync adds to the load or struggles with longer cables.

Any ideas?

Hi

I've been using a 2m cable I bought elsewhere and not had the problems your experiencing works fine at 144hz 120hz 100 and 85hz with G-Sync on all the time.

Hi

I've been using a 2m cable I bought elsewhere and not had the problems your experiencing works fine at 144hz 120hz 100 and 85hz with G-Sync on all the time.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Unfortunately 2m won't reach from my base unit to the panel which is on a bracket. I bought a 3m cable from eBay but it won't display at higher refresh rates.

Not sure whether to drop £25~ on a 19-wire 3m DP cable or not, but I guess if I do, and it doesn't work, I can safely say the panel is at fault.

Anyone else tried anything over 2m? Am starting to wonder if its a G-Sync limitation rather than bandwidth issue...

What gibbo etc. did for the 970 was a very smart move for them, people returned their 970's for a refund (iirc, the manufacturers covered the costs or at least helped with it) and those people proceeded to purchase 980's or other more expensive cards from ocuk so whilst the customer wins in the end so does ocuk, they get even more profit from all the people who bought the 980's plus it give ocuk a good image as iirc none of the other etailers did anything.

The problem with this monitor is that most people don't have any alternatives (no other IPS 144HZ gsync) so they would most likely just be doing constant RMA's or getting a refund and not buying anything else.

Ocuk would have no problem selling the 970's on via the b grade section (since the 3.5gb vram wasn't a fault) where as with this monitor, it would be tricky selling it on due to the noticeable back light bleed.

Also, I imagine the 970 fiasco was a much much much larger problem compared to this screen.

At least that is my opinion anyway :p

Back
Top Bottom