Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

As good as this new information sounds, and fair play to ocuk here for putting the effort in (seriously), I do have to worry about the level and quality of the 'QC checks' that Acer will be carrying out.

As mentioned, they don't really have a track record in gaming and high end monitors, so what sort of process and procedures will they have in place?

A little man, who has no real idea, casually turning a monitor on (probably in bright room) and going "looks ok to me guvnor."?

Or, what???

Good point, mine isn't really noticable in a bright room during the day. Change the scenario to night time with the lights off playing a survival horror game and the bleed/glow is horrific.

Very good result Gibbo and Bailey, I might even be tempted to pick one up in the future now but only when the price drops! ;)

But like wunkley said, we need to hear more about this "QC check" as for all we know, they could test it with a brightness lower than 20%, in a bright room with bright content (which is what LG told me to do when I contacted them about getting my 29um65 fixed.....), which isn't great for those like myself who play/watch lots of dark content games in dim/dark rooms at night.

I would also expect zero dead pixels for a £700 monitor.

Good point, mine isn't really noticable in a bright room during the day. Change the scenario to night time with the lights off playing a survival horror game and the bleed/glow is horrific.

Exactly. Unless they have a specific, standardised test system, carried out in varied and proper conditions for finding the issues, it will be utterly pointless.

Call me cynical but I just cannot see a company like Acer thoroughly testing every single monitor in the proper way it would need to be done.

HI there

Just to echo what has being said, Acer have being building monitors for years, but this is really one of their first ventures with high-end premium gaming panels.

We explained to them on such panels customers are expecting perfection and as such problems such as dead/stuck pixels and excessive backlight bleed really are not acceptable on a monitor which cost north of £500. They have completely agreed with this and all new batches of gaming/premium panels they offer will go through extra QC checks that look for in particular dead/stuck pixels and excessive backlight bleed.

Actual faults such as electronics/dust are incredibly rare so are a none issue, we've now sold 400 of these monitors at OcUK alone and were talking around 26 returns to OcUK/Acer from what we have sold for either bleed/pixel defects.

So the extra level of QC should help reduce returns greatly and result in far happier customers.

So if your panel has dead/stuck pixels or excessive glow particular in the bottom right hand corner where blacks appear like a yellow tinge feel free to send the monitor back to OcUK/Acer as faulty, we will swap it out and will happily pre-test any screen we send you out for backlight bleed and stuck pixels.

Its taken sometime but again OcUK comes through strong by making Acer recognise these issues and work with us on them, but also I have to say a big thumbs up goes to Acer for recognising these issues and also wanting their gaming customer to have a great experience with the product and customer service. :)

Sounds good, shame it has taken so long.

Are there any plans to offer postage refunds to those of us that were forced to return our monitors under CCR because at the time you refused to consider them faulty?

I'd be interested in a monitor from the new batch. I returned mine due to dirt under the screen and have now had a refund instead of a replacement. (I asked for either one). I assume they opted for a replacement due to the issues with them. :)

I really want this monitor but I guess it would make sense to wait for this new batch to arrive before clicking the buy button.

Will someone at OcUK let us know here when they arrive?

Take the issues away and its a beast of a panel. I'm itching to get another one :)

Almost tempted to skip the wait and try my luck again now lol

We are here to help :)

Cheers

That's great Bailey , but why the wall of silence before this meeting ?
, no offence meant but i didn't see any offer of help or any genuine concern from you guys in my CS discussion, and it's not as if i was rude or demanding.

In all honesty i'm very disappointed especially since i have been loyal to OCUK for many years and spend thousands with you every year.

I, and am sure others don't want VIP treatment just not to be treated like crap next time.

Exactly. Unless they have a specific, standardised test system, carried out in varied and proper conditions for finding the issues, it will be utterly pointless.

Call me cynical but I just cannot see a company like Acer thoroughly testing every single monitor in the proper way it would need to be done.

I don't think they really need to test every screen that come out of the manufacturing process.

All they really need to do is to check where they went wrong with the build quality of the screen and then fix the flaws to
prevent the issue that have been reported like to backlight bleed due to the chassis and front button LEDs.

The backlight bleed issue seems to be one of the main reports about this screen affecting a lot of these screens
and it is mostly due to the way they have been build.

Id like to test a theory here, don't know if there is anything to it but could all those that have had good ones and good replacements specifically mention in what month they were made, I think I'm right in saying there are ones here from March and April? If so can you post them, both my original and replacement that has gone back to Acer now we're made in March.

That's great Bailey , but why the wall of silence before this meeting ?
, no offence meant but i didn't see any offer of help or any genuine concern from you guys in my CS discussion, and it's not as if i was rude or demanding.

In all honesty i'm very disappointed especially since i have been loyal to OCUK for many years and spend thousands with you every year.

I, and am sure others don't want VIP treatment just not to be treated like crap next time.

We had to keep quiet as we had to await official confirmation from Acer.

They came in Thursday , Gibbo and myself were in a meeting with them for several hours.

Sorry it took a little time but its a top result however

Bailey

I had been looking at the monitor for quite a while reading this thread intently. Good to see the solution. Think I may buy one when the new stock comes in.

We had to keep quiet as we had to await official confirmation from Acer.

They came in Thursday , Gibbo and myself were in a meeting with them for several hours.

Sorry it took a little time but its a top result however

Good job. Did you tell them to stop using glossy piano black under penalty of death while you were at it?? :)

^^

THIS!

I HATE GLOSSY PLASTIC!

Seriously, why do they use it?! It just makes every thing look like a cheap fisher price toy....

Again, for those who want to have a nice looking finish, follow this video:

My lg's 29um65 bezel after doing that:

VNdML20h.jpg

If you guys are intending to RMA the screen shortly back to OcUK for replacement, I wouldn't bother until they get the new batch.

I had sent mine back some days ago and they received it on friday and on the same day they received it I was sent out
a replacement which will obviously be from the original old batch they first received.

I tried to get Bailey to place a hold on the screen once they received it until the new batch arrives
but this unfortunately didn't go through for some reason.

I am not happy at all at the fact that have been sent a replacement from the original stock they have which has a
higher risk of the replacement also having the same issues because of the batch.

They also didn't even test the replacement before it was shipped to make sure it was free from issues.

I am expecting the replacement to arrive on monday. I am hoping this replacement is a bit better concerning
the backlight bleed thought I am not getting my hopes up because it will most likely be just as bad or have
less backlight bleed but suffer another issue instead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom