Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

I can see whats happened.

It's been a blink first situation on who pulls the plug on this first, i imagine non of the retailers wanted to lose out on any sales. If you pull a popular product because of QC issues then your probably going to lose out to the nearest competitor.

The problem being, and my only real gripe in all of this is being told that the monitor wasn't faulty in any way and being treated like crap over it all.Now after all the hassle Acer (at least with one retailer) have pulled the stock.

I mean being told you have to turn the brightness all the way down to fix a qc issue is a travesty and quite honestly an insult to customers.

Just seen this on another website. Is this the worst case of problematic pixels or what !

May 17, 2015 | 03:27 PM -
Just a heads up, but recent batches still have quality control issues. I recently was sent one from Amazon that was shipped 3-days ago and immediately on power-on you can see a group of 50-60 pixels (about size of eraser head) that are stuck partially on in a white to light-green color near the middle of the screen. It is very apparent on black background, but still visible as off-shade/incorrect colored area when displaying normal images. Combine this with another 5-10 actually dead pixels scattered around the reset of the monitor. I am going to get a replacement (eta 3-5 weeks), but don't think I will bother again if I see such poor QC on the next one.

I actually left a 1-star review on Amazon with an image of defective area, but Amazon rejected my review for some reason.

My Amazon Review: Very poor Quality Control from Acer. Four distinct areas of 2+ dead pixel groupings, plus a large group of ~40-60 pixel in the center that are partially stuck on at all times (visible from power-on).

It is hard to claim this is a rare event if you just look at the reviews on Newegg.com or Amazon.com. Even some of the 4-star review note dead pixels or back light issues. Guess some people are less picky on their $800 investments, but I put this through the same paces I did with any of my other sub $700 24-27" IPS displays.

Note the date.

Last edited:
I think on principle alone I might have to return mine. (2nd)

I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed dust/dirt yet again effecting my screen. Closer inspection and the use of a camera shows the dark spot stays stationery and the pixels show color when the viewing angle is changed.

At the end of the day this would be my 2nd attempt with this monitor which now has the very same problem I sent my last one back with. The glow and BLB after a closer look is actually stronger on this one that my previous.

I think its best I return it and simply wait a few months to see if the issues improve or another manufacturer makes a same spec panel.

I've had enough gambling with this kind of money.

Here is 2 close ups of the dust itself. Im 99% sure it is dust or dirt and not dead pixels. I'd like to think others would say the same

lvQH8S7.png

UPBT7RX.png

Well in an interesting chain of events a certain place in bolton has removed them from sale.

Reply i got from a live chat was : "Yes we have been advised of an issue with the stock we have so its been recalled by Acer"

The *******. I bought mine there and even though they agreed to refund I was still deducted £12 for collection. :mad:

Whats the bet they reset all the monitors to 25 brightness and ship them all back out again. No wonder there is only 2 year warranty and over 15 dead pixels accepted.

To those who wonder why so many on this thread are persevering with a replacement, it is still, by far the best gaming reproduction I have seen since CRT.

Someone wants their ass kicking all the way back to Taiwan for this rick.

Someone should report Acer to watchdog for poor quality standards of these screens.

Already done that with the 4k screen but it needs a fair few people to write in before they take notice.

Wonder if Ocuk have been told yet to remove from stock?

They wouldn't be "told" it would be upto them to do it and I doubt it will happen.

Even if you get lucky on your first purchase (no dead stuck pixels or dust) Would you really want to be left with something knowing if a problem develops later down the line the company are going to be a complete PITA to deal with.

For £700 there really should be some peace of mind.

Even if you get lucky on your first purchase (no dead stuck pixels or dust) Would you really want to be left with something knowing if a problem develops later down the line the company are going to be a complete PITA to deal with.

For £700 there really should be some peace of mind.

Pay with CC then :) You'll always have that protection even 'down the line'

I'd like to bring up again an issue I mentioned back on page 35, that is about fullscreen games being randomly minimized to the taskbar, I've had it happen about a dozen times or so since having it now, it's happened twice while playing The Witcher 3 over the last day and night for example. I've also noticed last night that while on the desktop the screen flashed, just for a millisecond, I'd bet money on it that if I'd had a game up at the time it would have minimized it again, this is not someone I've had happen with any monitor before including the Asus with the same resolution on the same drivers and hardware, and the cable that comes in the box. Might be related to other issues people are having with not getting the monitor to work right or flashing etc, there is definitely some more issues than just backlight and glow going on with these monitors, at least for some.

Mine is going back to OC on Tuesday, this really sucks to be honest, but I can't risk this kind of money on such a shaky product no matter how good it is when it is good.

I am getting a replacement from a new batch that Mark from Acer is expecting from Acer around the 25th.

This new batch is supposedly meant to be fully quality checked before going into the distribution channel.

I have already had a replacement from OcUK and this one arranged by Mark from Acer will be my second
replacement. If this last replacement has any of the same issues as been reported about this screen
then I will definitely be asking for a full refund this time not another replacement.

HARSH but sadly true :(:(:(:(:(:(

It was a harsh statement but this is the worst I have seen for a while and I am usually on the hype train

No one in there right mind would buy one after checking the forums but unfortunately I've had mine from day 1, and I would certainly question buying anything at all from ocuk in the future....

I feel for you pal. I am never buying a day 1 release monitor again

As for OCUK knowing, hard one to guess. I imagine they did continue to sell monitors knowing that potentially there could be an issue. But is it their fault or Acer's. I'd say the latter

Avoid Acer. Their QC sucks and their RMA process is awful.

Back
Top Bottom