Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Associate
How you enjoying it?

It's great. Having only ever used 60hz monitors in the past, the jump to 144hz is to me amazing. Games are silky smooth with no lag, stuttering or tearing. Colours and visuals are very crisp and detailed.

Despite things i've read about needing 970sli or a 980, I'm using a single 970 and getting great results. GTA V I have most things turned up and still getting around 60fps, a lot more if I scale things back. Project cars with most settings at max or near to max also runs very smoothly at around 70fps.

Got to say that although I feel for those with poor versions of this monitor when you get a good one it is really good.

Associate
that's good news =] enjoy it mate! it's natural for people to be more vocal about something that's bad than something that's good... not excusing acer in anyway though as i'm one who also sent this monitor back.

Soldato
Sounds like Acer didn't bother to invest in a dust free assembly room and now your getting problems like people had with Ezio screens a few years ago which had blass panels and trapped dust problems.

In terms of rma Acer can't possibly be any be worse then Asus surely?

Associate
I'd like to bring up again an issue I mentioned back on page 35, that is about fullscreen games being randomly minimized to the taskbar, I've had it happen about a dozen times or so since having it now, it's happened twice while playing The Witcher 3 over the last day and night for example. I've also noticed last night that while on the desktop the screen flashed, just for a millisecond, I'd bet money on it that if I'd had a game up at the time it would have minimized it again, this is not someone I've had happen with any monitor before including the Asus with the same resolution on the same drivers and hardware, and the cable that comes in the box. Might be related to other issues people are having with not getting the monitor to work right or flashing etc, there is definitely some more issues than just backlight and glow going on with these monitors, at least for some.

Mine is going back to OC on Tuesday, this really sucks to be honest, but I can't risk this kind of money on such a shaky product no matter how good it is when it is good.

Mine is doing this also, playing witcher it minimises back to desktop every 45 minutes or so. This issue is worse than the backlight bleed for me.

Requested a replacement 3 weeks ago but have so far had no contact from this Mark guy. If I don't hear anything this week I'm getting a refund.

Associate
There is a manufacture date printed on the Acer XB270HU box. I would expect the new batch to have a newer manufacture date than the previous batches.

Yeah, only gives the month though. If it's March then it's not new, if it's April, maybe, if it's May then should be, good luck to those getting replacements from the new batch.

Associate
This would be the perfect monitor (it almost is) if it also had additional 2x HDMI ports for input from other devices (that don't use DP) and was a tad bigger, at least 28". Then I'd sell my soul for one.

Associate
How long did it take others for Acer to contact them? I'm on this list for a replacement but I've heard nothing from them yet. I asked to go on the list around lunchtime last Friday.

If it takes a while and I know there was a bank holiday then fair enough but if I don't hear a thing in the next couple of days I might just give up and return it.

Don't know how others feel but regardless of how good this monitor could be I've almost had enough of this chasing it now. Shouldn't be so hard to get what you pay for.

Soldato
Well, to put it into contrast, with the nightmare of this monitor now behind me my Dell 2713 has developed a few bright pixels, 1 phone call to dell today and i'll have a replacement to my door tomorrow morning, no quibbling, no fuss, took 5 mins.

Soldato
I recently bought an XL2420G (TN) as I wanted 144Hz and G-Sync however after going to that from an IPS U2311H I find the viewing angles shockingly poor. Even viewing head on there is still a massive different between the top and bottom of the screen.

I think I will be returning it and getting one of these once the issues are sorted.

Soldato
Well, to put it into contrast, with the nightmare of this monitor now behind me my Dell 2713 has developed a few bright pixels, 1 phone call to dell today and i'll have a replacement to my door tomorrow morning, no quibbling, no fuss, took 5 mins.

Yeah I can't knock Dell on customer service. If only they sold FreeSync monitors.

Associate
I recently bought an XL2420G (TN) as I wanted 144Hz and G-Sync however after going to that from an IPS U2311H I find the viewing angles shockingly poor. Even viewing head on there is still a massive different between the top and bottom of the screen.

I think I will be returning it and getting one of these once the issues are sorted.

That's what I did and now this Predator while initially looking perfect I've now noticed a dead pixel smack bang in the middle of the screen, about an inch down from the middle and I've also just today spotted dirt behind the screen in the bottom left corner in the taskbar area on Windows 7. I didn't notice it earlier because the icons I have there hide it.

General image quality is very good, IPS glow in the corners is a little more than I would like, but motion is fantastic and there is no afterglow on fast moving stuff either. But these two areas with dirt or whatever are very distracting when watching videos and TV.

I rang the store up today and asked what my options are and apparently ACER are now accepting them back for a full refund or for a quality controlled replacement when they arrive. As soon as I can sort out a lift I am off down the store to take it back and get my money back, only because of the poor QC for a monitor in this price range. I'll not be buying ACER again, lesson learnt. Fingers crossed another manufacturer starts selling these same panels with better QC soon.

Back
Top Bottom