Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Associate
I must admit that I am slightly because its such a nice image, but I'm afraid the longer I leave it the less chance I get to just get my money back if things don't go well.

Last edited:
Associate
Here's hoping the new batch that is imminent is good because if it isn't then I will be arranging a refund and then waiting some
months to see if the issues with this screen get fixed or if a new screen comes out from a different company by then.

Associate
Aye, would be nice to get an update of some sort regarding this. Still haven't even heard anything from Acer myself yet.

The temptation to pull the plug on the whole thing and send it back just for a refund is becoming more appealing.

Soldato
I have one of these in my basket ready for checkout, after reading this thread though I'm not too sure whether to gamble on getting a good one or not as it's a fair chunk of wedge for a monitor.

Associate
I was debating between this and a 34".....

I’ve got one of each of the following right now:

LG 34UM95 (34”, 3440 x 1440, 60Hz, 21:9 Superwide)
Acer XB270HU (27”, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, G-Sync, 16:9)

Depending on the content different panels suit best.

The LG superwide is best for general OS stuff, web browsing, emails, music/image editing, Excel etc, some action games (Assassin’s Creed and other 3rd-person stuff), RTS games etc. Going to this for the first time was like going from 4:3 to 16:9 for the first time again. There’s so much screen real estate! Side-by-side viewing of docs/progs etc is blissful, you’re talking the productivity of a dual-monitor setup but without the bezels, and of course a nice wide viewing port for gaming. Switching from this to regular 16:9 is quite jarring, you feel something is lost.

Not everything is supportive of this aspect ratio, but with a bit of work and the help of the Flawless Widescreen app most things work, although you have to settle for what is essentially a cropped FOV on some titles. Newer stuff seems to support wider ratios more readily.

To be honest, if my superwide wasn’t capped at 60Hz I wouldn’t have gone for the Acer, but I needed something that can handle 75/90Hz for ease of use with my Rift DK2 (you need your panel to match the refresh rate of the Rift to avoid judder on the HMD). Plus I wanted to see what life was like above 60fps.

The build quality, design and overall feel and look on the LG is really tight, it is a beautiful piece of kit.

The Acer has been problematic – poor bezel design and construction makes for backlight bleed in the corners (especially the bottom right) and there’s more noticeable IPS glow than on the LG or other IPS screens I’ve owned/used. The OSD/menu is basic and not very nice to navigate.

Colour reproduction is good and the pixel density makes for tight viewing. 144Hz is lovely (when you can reach it!) and G-Sync makes for fluid viewing, but the screen I’ve got seems to lock up my GPU(s) on a regular basis… but it seems not many have suffered with these type of faults, and are more concerned with the bleed/pixels etc.

Oh and you’ll want a bracket or another third-party stand as the supplied one is a bit poor.

TL;DR: The Acer I had is defective, so it's hard for me to make an objective comparison as I can't get long periods of time on it without incident. When it has worked it is a really nice panel, but I find myself using the 34" Superwide more often, and appreciating the extra real estate over the higher refresh rate - both in gaming and other general use.

If I had to pick one, it would be the 60Hz 34" Superwide right now. Here's hoping the newer batch of Acers and (hopefully) other brands making similar specced monitors can up their game.

Last edited:
Associate
I have one of these in my basket ready for checkout, after reading this thread though I'm not too sure whether to gamble on getting a good one or not as it's a fair chunk of wedge for a monitor.

I highly advise waiting at least. This monitor is amazing if you take away the QC issues.

If this new batch sorts out the dirt, pixel issues and the excessive IPS glow then it's happy days.

The one I have now is my 2nd attempt... and it still has the same issue my first did with dust stuck inside the panel.

When all these issues are sorted out it will be a must have.

Soldato
I’ve got one of each of the following right now:

LG 34UM95 (34”, 3440 x 1440, 60Hz, 21:9 Superwide)
Acer XB270HU (27”, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, G-Sync, 16:9)

Depending on the content different panels suit best.

The LG superwide is best for general OS stuff, web browsing, emails, music/image editing, Excel etc, some action games (Assassin’s Creed and other 3rd-person stuff), RTS games etc. Going to this for the first time was like going from 4:3 to 16:9 for the first time again. There’s so much screen real estate! Side-by-side viewing of docs/progs etc is blissful, you’re talking the productivity of a dual-monitor setup but without the bezels, and of course a nice wide viewing port for gaming. Switching from this to regular 16:9 is quite jarring, you feel something is lost.

Not everything is supportive of this aspect ratio, but with a bit of work and the help of the Flawless Widescreen app most things work, although you have to settle for what is essentially a cropped FOV on some titles. Newer stuff seems to support wider ratios more readily.

To be honest, if my superwide wasn’t capped at 60Hz I wouldn’t have gone for the Acer, but I needed something that can handle 75/90Hz for ease of use with my Rift DK2 (you need your panel to match the refresh rate of the Rift to avoid judder on the HMD). Plus I wanted to see what life was like above 60fps.

The build quality, design and overall feel and look on the LG is really tight, it is a beautiful piece of kit.

The Acer has been problematic – poor bezel design and construction makes for backlight bleed in the corners (especially the bottom right) and there’s more noticeable IPS glow than on the LG or other IPS screens I’ve owned/used. The OSD/menu is basic and not very nice to navigate. Colour reproduction is good and the pixel density makes for tight viewing. 144Hz is lovely (when you can reach it!) and G-Sync makes for fluid viewing, but the screen I’ve got seems to lock up my GPU(s) on a regular basis… but it seems not many have suffered with these type of faults, and are more concerned with the bleed/pixels etc.

Oh and you’ll want a bracket or another third-party stand as the supplied one is a bit poor.

Thanks for your comment.

I've been using a 1440p 60hz panel for some time now and I've had no issues with FPS games (BF3/4/Hardline) at that speed which is why I'm still considering the 34". I already have a 27" so my logic would be to get the 34" and see how I get on. Considering the prices are not that far apart and the issues being reported with the unit in this thread, this pushes me more towards the 34".

The other side is that I've yet to experience and try g-sync!

Soldato
Thanks for your comment.

I've been using a 1440p 60hz panel for some time now and I've had no issues with FPS games (BF3/4/Hardline) at that speed which is why I'm still considering the 34". I already have a 27" so my logic would be to get the 34" and see how I get on. Considering the prices are not that far apart and the issues being reported with the unit in this thread, this pushes me more towards the 34".

gsync is very nice, it's convinced me to wait until it's on larger 60Hz panels, rather than grabbing a smaller faster panel.

Associate
Took mine back this morning for a refund, was a hassle free process and had the money back in my Paypal account almost immediately, how long my bank takes to reflect the refund will usually take longer, crafty buggers. Can't fault OCUK for their service though, thanks.

Associate
Thanks for your comment.

I guess I'll need to await my replacement Acer to really test it objectively but I've been a little underwhelmed with G-sync so far.

I've enjoyed the higher frame rates offered by the 100Hz-144Hz capability of the panel when my rig could get up to it - and where the game engine didn't stop me reaching it; Shadow of Mordor won't go higher than 100fps and the 'Creed games top out at 60fps. Notable highlights are Borderlands 2 at 144Hz and Elite: Dangerous at 120Hz though, both very pretty!

But when those inevitable frame rate drops do hit, they aren't being as smoothed out as I was led to expect. Not sure if they're spiking at <40fps or whatever the low end of the G-Sync threshold is, or if my monitor is so b0rked that it isn't carrying out the G-Sync duty as it should, but I'm yet to have the 'wow' factor that the reviews implied from the tech.

For reference, I'm rocking an i7 5930k @ 4.5GHz and 3 x GTX980 in tri-SLI so I'd like to think that I'm running something that has the juice required to show it off.

How are other Acer owners finding G-Sync?

Back
Top Bottom