Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

HI there

Just to echo what has being said, Acer have being building monitors for years, but this is really one of their first ventures with high-end premium gaming panels.

We explained to them on such panels customers are expecting perfection and as such problems such as dead/stuck pixels and excessive backlight bleed really are not acceptable on a monitor which cost north of £500. They have completely agreed with this and all new batches of gaming/premium panels they offer will go through extra QC checks that look for in particular dead/stuck pixels and excessive backlight bleed.

Actual faults such as electronics/dust are incredibly rare so are a none issue, we've now sold 400 of these monitors at OcUK alone and were talking around 26 returns to OcUK/Acer from what we have sold for either bleed/pixel defects.

So the extra level of QC should help reduce returns greatly and result in far happier customers.

So if your panel has dead/stuck pixels or excessive glow particular in the bottom right hand corner where blacks appear like a yellow tinge feel free to send the monitor back to OcUK/Acer as faulty, we will swap it out and will happily pre-test any screen we send you out for backlight bleed and stuck pixels.

Its taken sometime but again OcUK comes through strong by making Acer recognise these issues and work with us on them, but also I have to say a big thumbs up goes to Acer for recognising these issues and also wanting their gaming customer to have a great experience with the product and customer service. :)

So considering this update from Gibbo from 15 May is now a couple of months old and from what I can gather ACER has not got this mythical new batch of product to resellers like OCUK yet (which allegedly will have gone through better QC), I would assume OCUK will look to sell existing stock before issuing any of the new batch? First in first out or will OCUK return all existing stock to ACER and only sell from the new batch once it arrives?

On a related note, I see a competitor website is currently out of stock but has a predicted date for new stock arriving as being 17 July. I wonder if this new stock (for them at least) will represent the 'new batch'? If so and considering OCUK's recent bizarre price increase by circa £50, I would wonder about the benefits of being a loyal OCUK customer in this case? I know OCUK have doubled the regular DSR returns period from 7 to 14 days but is there anything else that I should consider before I decide who to buy from? I also live in The Republic of Ireland so things like carriage costs on faulty or returned items (and who pays for that) is a consideration for me.

Last edited:
I've asked Bailey if I can come off the Acer waiting list and return my screen straight back to OcUK for a canellation and refund now.

Beyond the bleed/glow thing my particular panel has major issues; it won't even go above 85Hz without flickers, drops to black and even video card crashes. As such, I can't even get by using it while I wait for a new batch to materialise.

It's just sitting there devaluing and taking up space. Such a shame.

I just asked OcUK Bailey if he could get any firm idea of when new stock would be around, his reply:

"Got an update back already

This is from the Channel Manager at Acer.

The new stock due to land in the channel on Friday all being well. The stock has been fully QC tested and is all ok.

Bailey"

I just asked OcUK Bailey if he could get any firm idea of when new stock would be around, his reply:

"Got an update back already

This is from the Channel Manager at Acer.

The new stock due to land in the channel on Friday all being well. The stock has been fully QC tested and is all ok.

Bailey"

What you have to remember though is even if the monitor turns out to be first class if it ever goes wrong whilst still under warranty you have had a taste of how bad Acer Customer Service is do you really want to go through that nightmare.

Just because its passed QC doesnt mean its going to be reliable and trouble free. Acer monitors are renowned for developing stuck pixels (red ones) after a few months.

Not trying to put a dampner on it just wanted to highlight a bit of caution even though the new batch might be received in tip top condition. Its what happens after a month or two of use you have to remember. Can you afford to risk it with a £700 monitor. The Asus ROG one is a monitor in example.

I'd almost given up on the idea of a replacement.

I should be on this list. However other than Bailey telling me he put my details forward back in May I've heard nothing whatsoever from Acer since it all started.

Not even an auto email from them.

Not sure if I'm the only one who hasn't had any contact.

I'd almost given up on the idea of a replacement.

I should be on this list. However other than Bailey telling me he put my details forward back in May I've heard nothing whatsoever from Acer since it all started.

Not even an auto email from them.

Not sure if I'm the only one who hasn't had any contact.

You won't be on the list, I was in the same position and Acer hadn't got any of my information. If you want to be on the list you will need to contact [email protected]

You won't be on the list, I was in the same position and Acer hadn't got any of my information. If you want to be on the list you will need to contact [email protected]

E-mailed them yesterday, no word back yet. I guess if I don't get a reply ill give up.

2 things I would have learned from this.

1.Never buy from the first batch of a new high end monitor.
2.Use caution when buying an Acer product (if ever again) in future.

E-mailed them yesterday, no word back yet. I guess if I don't get a reply ill give up.

2 things I would have learned from this.

1.Never buy from the first batch of a new high end monitor.
2.Use caution when buying an Acer product (if ever again) in future.

When I get home from work I will post the escalation teams phone number for you.

Same here. The worst part is that they pulled these shenanigans with what many people consider as being the holy grail of gaming monitor tech. That is an unforgivable sin in my opinion. :mad:

Basically, what they need to do after all this time and radio silence is to legitimately have overhauled the construction, or at least QC of the panel. If the mythical new batch is better built then they (and early adopters) can pull a win out of this.

Failing that, we might just have to wait for a panel that delivers what was promised.

Here's hoping...

I noticed that there's no mention of this monitor on the Acer website as a product or under support section. (weird?)

I saw a 'V2' model of this monitor was on sale elsewhere - could this be the post-May manufactured ones?

I'll probably hold out until the ASUS IPS turns up now anyway.

"v2".. Interesting!

Wonder if it comes with better after-sales/cs? :p

Re: Price change for XB270HU
This is because these are is great demand and have had to be flown in and also the exchange rate at the same time but we're 1st to get the newer V2 which does not suffer from screen bleed and other issues of the 1st batch - we still have the best price..

Hopefully the replacement models we are getting from the Acer Escalation Team when they finally arrive is the newer v2 models.

I have sent them an email about this. Here's hoping the v2 ones we will be getting.

Does v2 come with all the glossy piano black removed and replaced with something actually suitable for a monitor? Outside of the QC disaster, which may or may not be resolved with the new batch, it's this cheap glossy plastic that makes a it a massive no buy for me. I had a monitor once before with a glossy bezel, and it is SOOOO annoying because whatever is displayed on screen ends up being reflected on the inside edge of the bezel! It's such a shocking design implementation on a premium monitor, I just can't fathom their decision making here!! I'll be waiting for the Asus PG279Q myself.

Just got one of these delivered today from ** No competitors **. I appear to have lucked out, minimal backlight bleed and no more IPS glow than any other display I have had (including my current other display a Dell U3014).

Manufacturing date of May so a V1 I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom