Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
OP
Crank arm length is what I am looking to change next.
5ft 8in tall and I have short legs, probably 31in inseam.
TT bike is 170mm and race bike is 172.5mm. I've been reading a lot recently and funnily enough, GCN posted this video the other day which I found very interesting....

Soldato
sv3MoOU.png

It's a shame they've missed out many other manufacturers such as Reynolds, Bontrager, Flo, PRO/Shimano, Campag etc and haven't even included a control non-aero alloy rim.

Looking at the data more closely it's actually a pretty useless test. Rather than sweep across a range of yaw angles they've just measured two and just added them together.:confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm at work so can't watch it fully, I flicked through hoping for a summary shot......no luck.

What are the results?

I have the Roval CLX64s, so it would be interesting to see how they perform.
They said the Rovals were pretty terrible and the update cant come soon enough.
Glad I've gone for a bike with disc brakes with the 64 Reynolds Strike wheels - they said most of those wheels have shocking wet braking performance.

Soldato
I have some issues with that test (shock!)

1) They have just taken grams of drag at 2 yaw angles (5 & 12.5), added them up, and ranked them based upon that total, but that doesn't really mean anything in the real world:
http://flocycling.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/flo-cycling-wheel-design-series-step-2.html
They need more data imo

2) Tyres. They use one standard tyre as a control, which makes sense.. to an extent. Some tyres work a lot better on some wheels than others, and as they say in some of the reviews some widths will work a lot better than others. The difference between a good and bad rim/tyre interaction can be massive

Soldato
I have some issues with that test (shock!)

1) They have just taken grams of drag at 2 yaw angles (5 & 12.5), added them up, and ranked them based upon that total, but that doesn't really mean anything in the real world:
http://flocycling.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/flo-cycling-wheel-design-series-step-2.html
They haven't ranked them on the total drag, if they had then the 6th place Mavic wheel would be lower and the Roval in last. They also included the road test results too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seen it was Bike Radar and didn't even bother.
There are very clever guys out there measuring this stuff properly, if only they would publish it in such manners.

Soldato
OP
Slow course or just a windsock?

One of the fastest courses in our land but he must be big time non-aero as well. Watch out if he comes down to CTT champs, he will be up there on a fast course with those numbers.

Same guy that smashed our stage race last year? I'm not surprised he can do that.

That's the boy. Starting a season like that he will be snapped up by Raleigh/Madison/Condor this year surely. You think he is 78kg? I don't.

WTF watts is Dowsett pushing in 10's?!? Pretty sure there are boys riding sub 20's on the V718 regularly with 100w less than above....

Soldato
One of the fastest courses in our land but he must be big time non-aero as well. Watch out if he comes down to CTT champs, he will be up there on a fast course with those numbers.

I dont think the course is that fast? Never ridden it myself but on strava discussion for a boy I know from sunday somebody is saying that course is around 1min slower than West Ferry.

Soldato
OP
https://www.strava.com/activities/673207053

That is my ridiculously aero focused mate.

10 miles - 349W - 19:14.... and that is not the quickest course round here. He's gone sub 19 on 325w Aero is King!

What does he weigh?

I dont think the course is that fast? Never ridden it myself but on strava discussion for a boy I know from sunday somebody is saying that course is around 1min slower than West Ferry.

It's flat as you'll get up here with decent surface for majority of it and roundabout at the turn plus it's a A road so decent traffic volume. We don't have that many courses at all in Scotland as you know but reckon on the right day this is one of the fastest you can get. Problem being it's basically in a wide valley, and you head West on the out leg, so it's 99% guarantee you will have a stiff breeze or worse to the turn and it has no protection due to being in that big U valley. It's certainly faster than our typical Highland 10's hehe.

Back
Top Bottom