Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
I think front end of my body would seriously struggle to be much narrower. I can get a touch lower I feel but I am way narrower than everyone I see in pictures.
60kg and at 308watts now with the goal of 320ish come national 10, on paper, that should result in a serious time. I am at disadvantage of only running 40mm wheels with not ideal tyres and my skinsuit is bottom end Impsport only. It's annoying knowing I could be quite a bit faster with the gear but I'll just need to smash out as is with a few aero position "advances" over the next couple weeks and see what it nets me.

Unfortunately it is a money game, and poor kit will lead to poor times. Most of the top riders down here have all the trip suits/socks etc (I know socks aren't legal) and even Thomas has joined the dark side I believe :D

Soldato
Lol yes, a lot of it is kit. But like you I get very frustrated knowing the time is there with the right kit, so within reason I may as well get the best kit I can to limit that loss. This year I've moved across to a disc wheel, deeper more aero front, faster tyres etc and seen pbs tumble. Still don't have a trip suit, and am waiting a trip to see the aerocoach, so plenty more on the table.

Soldato
Going to the velodrome tonight to do a 20min test on the TT bike
20min test last night at an outdoor velodrome... my FTP is a whopping 181W! That's 3.1W/kg. :confused::(
Negative gainz yo!

Did you do your previous test on the TT bike as well? You can't really compare power between different positions on different bikes, my FTP on the TT bike is around 3.2W/kg and my road bike is 4W/kg.

Soldato
I only do my testing on the TT bike since it's the only bike I have a PM on. It is a Stages so it's only measuring my left leg which I know is weaker, roughly 45%L/55%R when I last used a Wattbike.

Extrapolating from speed isn't that useful, but assuming a flat course, my average speed for the 20mins would put me on a 25min 10 miler @ 190W. Does that seem reasonable?

Soldato
Doesn't sound unreasonable, but on a quick DC course you could probably take a minute off that due to traffic. Easiest way to find out is to aerolab the velodrome ride and get a CDA number.

How does it work with getting on herne hill of an evening?

Soldato
How does it work with getting on herne hill of an evening?

They have a road bike session on Tuesday evenings from Spring until end of Autumn. Handy for certain things like a traffic-free FTP test or intervals but I wouldn't do it too often since the price has increased from £5 to £10. Best to try and use the full 2 hours.

The new pavilion is really good though.

Soldato
I got there from 6pm and had it to myself mostly for the first hour then it gradually got busier. I had a clear run for the test at least and hugged the blue line the entire time.

In the second hour, I think it would have been difficult to get a clear run as some pacelines were forming on the blue line and there was a kids session riding the white line.

Soldato
Got out for a blast yesterday of the club 10. It does involve a 12 mile lumpy slog there which I probably took a bit enthusiastically considering I wasn’t feeling wonderful...

I’ve my extensions set quite narrow and combined with an 808 rear, the ‘sail’ like side profile of the Speedmax and exposed roads around here I’m finding it unnervingly twitchy. I caught a cross wind on the ride home on a roundabout as I swung right and it felt like the bike was almost blown out from under me! I’ll see if it’s possible to adjust the rake – I think it is. I probably just need a bit more time on it too so it starts to feel more familiar as this is only my second ride on it having not been in the TT position since September last year. Tyre pressures (GP4000Sii) were bumped up slightly to 100psi front and 110psi rear (to reduce RR) which for a 78kg rider + bottle + spares probably contributed a bit.

So first time on the club loop this year (which has bloody awful scabby surfaces in places and generally is quite a slow course with two small climbs) with this bike & first time out with the Bambino too. Had a clear run without having to stop at any junctions but did scrub speed owing to there being no marshals waving it clear.

Knocked 15s off my PB from the Club Open 10 in September with a 26:15. Ultimate goal is to get in to the 24's which isn't too far away I don't feel. Lots of variables;
  • was fully laden
  • had to slog it there (where as in September I parked & warmed up locally)
  • time of day and generally fresher form wise
  • proper TT lid
  • slowed at junctions
  • still adjusting to new bike
  • new shoes & cleat position recently
  • skintight jersey vs slightly looser fitting one
  • gloves (also too chilly for skinsuit:p)

Despite this slightly quicker run average power was 3w down to 279w yesterday vs 282w though NP was up from 290w to 304w. Pacing definitely needs some work and a hard 20+min effort didn't feel too alien.

GoogleFU found the article below interesting as a guide for how much harder to increase effort in to a headwind or on a shallow grade.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/how-to-ride-the-perfect-time-trial-constant-power-vs-variable-power/

I’m curious how do your average & notional powers come out on flat vs undulating or lumpy TT’s? Are they quite closely matched regardless or is there some variance with the latter style of course?

Soldato
I’m curious how do your average & notional powers come out on flat vs undulating or lumpy TT’s? Are they quite closely matched regardless or is there some variance with the latter style of course?

Depends on how lumpy, but it's never as big as you may expect, 10-13W extra on 250W on a very lumpy one. (650Ft for 10 miles sort of lumpy)

Soldato
Ta, think I need to reign it in a bit on the climbs then! I'm not going all out but seem to get a bit carried away with the descent to recover on... having said that I was +10% of NP for the first climb but almost 20% up on Avg power. The second drag actually seemed to be bang on/a shade above Avg power and was 33 seconds quicker than 2w less Avg power in September.

Need to get to work with finding where I'm throwing away time :cool:

Soldato
There's definitely merit in pushing on the climbs. The hillier a course is the bigger the difference between AP and NP should be IMO - looking at that profile you've probably paced it right, plenty to be gained on those lumps provided you keep enough back for the draggy second half. @BennyC

Soldato
Cheers SoliD will take a look. (@SoliD , are you based in Portsmouth? )

OMS, ta. Yeah the second half is probably where most of the time is going. Slight rise combined with a fade in power. Probably another 10-15w to be squeezed out of me currently without a ride to & from.

Edit: having said that the first 5m were 275w @ 22.9mph and the final 5m 282w @ 23mph. Last half felt tougher which is to be expected I suppose! :p

Will head up to Bicester on a Tuesday shortly as there is a pretty flat 10 (150ft) on a closed circuit which will be my first TT without any sort of climbing effort involved.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@SoliD & @One More Solo - https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/15655
Should I bother even trying to enter that? I've never competed under CTT but my club is affiliated. I don't understand the "100 slowest riders" thing and why do no events on CTT bother to enter any details about said bloomin event?!?

I guess entry numbers for that being on Levens will be mental. Reckon I would need to enter a PB of NA since I have never competed under CTT?

Soldato
Cheers SoliD will take a look. (@SoliD , are you based in Portsmouth? )

Yep down in Pompey BennyC.

@SoliD & @One More Solo - https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/15655
Should I bother even trying to enter that? I've never competed under CTT but my club is affiliated. I don't understand the "100 slowest riders" thing and why do no events on CTT bother to enter any details about said bloomin event?!?

I guess entry numbers for that being on Levens will be mental. Reckon I would need to enter a PB of NA since I have never competed under CTT?

I'd say whats the harm in entering and putting in your 10PB up in Scotland. 100 slowest riders is usually when they have a multitude of events on the same day 100 fastest 100 slowest, to allow people to ride a fast course that never usually would.

Details will be added nearer the time about HQ etc, this far out that sort of stuff isn't even settled yet!

I had a shocker of a ride yesterday 241w/250W NP, injury definitely got to me, not got any league or Opens planned in now for about 5 weeks so going to get my focus on 2 hour CX race in 2 weeks, and then a solid training block, may enter a few club events depending how I'm feeling and really focus on second half of the season once I'm back from the Alps in July.

@Thomas. PLease. saw your time for Saturday, almost under the 20!!! Spoke to Gary yesterday, same power as normal for him on his new bike to give him the win (370ish). You've got big aero gains to be made.

Back
Top Bottom