Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
255w for a 54:45 few years ago then 269w for 53:47 and 269w for a 21:02 10! All about the kit unfortunately!

Think I’m going to try a few 10s on the road bike this year to see how much power I’m giving away!

Soldato
It is hard at this time of year, I was driving to pick the mrs up at 9pm in the dark/rain/snow a few night ago and I was feeling all sad and miserable.

During the summer I'm pedaling home from a bunch at 9.30pm in shorts/short sleeve properly buzzing for life!

I wouldn't throw big money at a TT rig but changing the cockpit/saddle to get into a comfortable aero position will see the best £/w gain I'd say.

I follow a local guy who is good at TTs and he was out in the summer there changing position every ride, trying 165mm cranks etc etc

Soldato
I have a “budget” TT rig and I don’t feel the bike holds me back.

Carbon bars or wider tyre would be nice to soak up some road buzz but that’s it.

2009 P3 built up with Rival 22, alloy bars & ski bars.

Soldato
OP
This is result of my work to the TT bike for this season....

New team skinsuit = Velotec w/ NoPinz aero pocket
New front wheel = Kronostok FWS7 w/ Vittoria Corsa Speed 25mm
New disc = FFWD w/ Vittoria CXIII 23mm
30mm longer stem = Oval Concepts 110mm
Sram eTap
USE 40 degree hi-rise extensions
Wattshop 10 degree arm rests
Fiberlyte custom 54t single front chainring w/ Rotor 3D+ cranks & Aero MAS spider
(pics is with the 2x Q-Rings still on but they are off now)

iRFAzoS.png

I *look* insanely more aero than I ever did in previous years and have a heap more kit that ticks the aero boxes. However, I am riding like utter turd so need the watts to come now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking massively better there, would say you're scarily similar to myself but with a bit more angle on the extensions! Watts will come, whats the drop you've experienced from previous?

Soldato
OP
Looking massively better there, would say you're scarily similar to myself but with a bit more angle on the extensions! Watts will come, whats the drop you've experienced from previous?

My PB for a 10 came off 320watts which was two seasons ago after not racing last year.
This year my best is only a 22:02 off 304watts.
My power meter sacked it on the line at Nat10 on Sunday there so no idea what watts I done there but it was stupidly slow..... I reckon I can get to 320w again in this more aggressive position and on the right night/day I am hoping it all comes together.

Why such a fat front wheel/tyre?

Might gain a couple of watts when the CX Evo is dead changing to the new Vittorias too.

The 25mm tyre matches the rim width perfectly so from that point of view should result in a proper aero gain to what I was previously running.
I've had my biggest problems through road conditions in all honesty and it is what I struggle most with is maintaining power/position on rough ground (which we have masses of up here!). I get bumped around like you would not believe as I am so light and my TT bike is scary light compared to most which aids that beat up style also.... The 25mm at slightly lower pressure has helped incredibly in that regard compared previously on 23mm's.

There is a load of evidence out there now showing that wider tyres are much better in terms of rolling resistance as well. Not something I have tested and will need more time from my general feel on riding different pressures. It feels a million times faster but it absolutely should as we all know that tyre is one of the quickest out there but it's a big step up comapred the 38mm rim with 23mm tyre I was running prior.

Soldato
I have a 25 CX that is now dead on my rear Disc, it's perfect for everything fits perfectly against the disc, but I've only got another 23 Veloflex spare to replace it with. Shall see how it blows up as the veloflex fit my 808 fine and they are the same width.

Soldato
You look more aero and smaller than me, my best is a 21:30 from 309w.

I did 22:29 last night from 286w and it felt hard. Come the middle of the year it doesn’t feel easy, but don’t feel like death haha

Soldato
It's really hard to quantify the difference but I've gone faster since switching from a Zipp 808 with a 21mm Zipp Tangente to a Hed Jet 6+ with a 23mm Corsa Speed. Think there is a combined aero and rolling resistance gain there.

Soldato
Does angling the ski bars upwards help bring your head up? I have been running mine at 10 degrees. I find my hands are always right on the ends at the shifters.

I have a flat back but my head sticks up a bit in the wind.

Soldato
OP
Does angling the ski bars upwards help bring your head up? I have been running mine at 10 degrees. I find my hands are always right on the ends at the shifters.

I have a flat back but my head sticks up a bit in the wind.

I have went to the 40 degree hi rise poles and 10 degree upward angle in the arm rests. My hands could not be any further forward/higher on the poles as I rest right on the very end of them..... It's let me lower my head drastically. Even though my hands are higher now my head is still very much lower.

I need rid of the Bambino now!

If you bring your hands higher with bigger angle on the ski bars as you mention, even if it results in your head in same place it will close the gap potentially making your frontal area smaller.
Got recent pics?

Soldato
If you bring your hands higher with bigger angle on the ski bars as you mention, even if it results in your head in same place it will close the gap potentially making your frontal area smaller.
Got recent pics?

Makes sense, I don’t have a recent photo but bringing my arms up would reduce my frontal area.

Soldato
OP
Makes sense, I don’t have a recent photo but bringing my arms up would reduce my frontal area.

My best mate was VERY sceptical of my position but listened to me after some testing on him.
He got hi rise 50 degree's and 15 degree arm rests. Some saddle height adjustment and he just beat me at National 10 by 45 seconds in his new high hands/low head position. He has never been within 30 seconds of me before and piled time into me in a target race. He cannot get over how comfortable it is either.

Not saying it's for you or anyone specifically. We are all different but it really is a clear cut case of massively improving my mate through very little work and the evidence is there now without us even testing him again... (which we will do anyway :p). Biggest difference was of course we took a massive gaping frontal area and shut it completely.

Soldato
I may as well break cover and show my set up. Bear in mind I'm mainly doing triathlons, so comfort as well as speed are both a concern.

I was advised after going in the Boardman tunnel to get some 40 degree bars (which I have) to improve my aerodynamics.
Chap there said it's very much becoming the norm now.

/and no I will never shave my legs!

FIwoKcC.jpg

5fgA2PP.jpg

Soldato
https://ibb.co/RBFJXVR
https://ibb.co/q1qvKHh

These are from July/August last year and it’s always a work in progress!

You can see how much front there is visible there and my head sticking up, but have my shoulders tucked in narrow as I can.

I have increased the stem length since then to assist with breathing (I don’t want to use the rear seat mounting position).

I have also moved a little lower and angled the bars to 15 degrees (it’s about 7.5 in those photos) (measuring the straight section) the ski ends will obviously alter the effective angle to more like 25 depending on hand position.

I rode this position for 80k on Sunday and it felt v good, need to get out and ride a couple of TT and hope for some photos to show how it’s going and how the time/power matches.

Soldato
I'm defiantly not shaving my legs. Was getting told last night it was the reason I didn't do as well in the race at the weekend.

Pasty white, hairy legs and zero muscle definition crew here.

Back
Top Bottom