Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/gp-5000-data

Aero and RR testing/comparative for the new Conti 5000.
TL;DR - It is an improvement all round over the 4000 II in terms of aero and RR. Shame about the price!
A shame also it isn't pretty like any Vittoria Corsa variant ;)

Interesting.

Different roller data/resistance would be good, smooth two coat bitumen seal, the more common coarser chip single seal, white line/painted surface and maybe concrete.

Soldato
OP
Another GP5000 test here but they've not done the TL version yet.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-2018

To be fair, the Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless is only 1W higher than the GP5000 clincher as tested by the same guy.

Nice, thanks, hadn't realised it was on there yet.

I know we are only talking 1w here or just over between the TL and clincher. So what I said above is partly in jest like most stuff I bang on about. But tubeless I thought was marketed or trying to be sold as less resistance and therefore faster than old fashioned clinchers. It is clearly not the case by any stretch of the imagination. If it's now a case of perceived puncture protection only then I maintain that tubeless is an utter waste of life.

GP5000 clincher version clearly top dog at moment though. It's testing exceptionally against my beloved Vittoria's :( 25mm GP5k clincher is 2 watts faster than Corsa G and 5 watts faster than Corsa Control (@100psi).

Soldato
The guy says he will be testing the GP5000 TL very soon.

I read the aerocoach test may have put too much sealant in for a 25mm tyre so that may have affected the results of the GP5000 TL. On the other hand, bicyclerollingresistance.com apparently uses butyl tubes not latex in their clincher tests.

In my mind, the benefit of tubeless is having sealant to seal punctures. The actual tyre puncture protection is independent of it being clincher or tubeless. The Pro One is an example of a performance-orientated tubeless tyre with relatively rubbish puncture protection.

If you can live with very minimal puncture protection for a TT, the Vittoria Corsa Speed is tubeless and currently the fastest tyre in existence at 7.7W.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole tyre width thing is a nightmare still with nothing accurately measuring!

Do I fit 25s or 28s.... not knowing how wide they are actually going to measure!

Soldato
The whole tyre width thing is a nightmare still with nothing accurately measuring!

Do I fit 25s or 28s.... not knowing how wide they are actually going to measure!

I get the impression that GP5000s measure up more true than the GP4000s eg. 700x28 are ~29mm vs ~31mm respectively.

The downside for me is that I don't think my Cube has a hope of having clearance for the 700x32 GP5000s, but the 700x28 GP4000s give a lovely plush ride.

Soldato
OP
I actually think it is filtering in my work causing the problem.... I right click>open image in new tab and used that with img tags. I work in IT you cheeky monkeys :p

@touch - 25mm Vit Corsa Speed

Back
Top Bottom