Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
@Berger definitely get yourself some bent bars. And angled rests. That head will come down and just bring you tighter together. If you or anyone on here wants the angled arm rest bracket things let me know. I know the guy that makes them for kingswann on tt forums so can get them direct for a better price.

Soldato
@Berger definitely get yourself some bent bars. And angled rests. That head will come down and just bring you tighter together. If you or anyone on here wants the angled arm rest bracket things let me know. I know the guy that makes them for kingswann on tt forums so can get them direct for a better price.

As I just have el cheapo armrests I can easily alter the angle as they just clamp to the base bar. I just have no up/down spacer alteration like you get on the more expensive ones.

Soldato
OP
Yeah @Berger as @SoliD says. You have EASY gains there!

I am unable to provide any valid input to lads not even willing to shave their legs :p Sort it out boys!
I'm surprised the Boardman tunnel folks tested someone with hairy legs. I bet they have a list of you "types" on the wall that have balls big enough to rock up with chewbacca legs :p :p

Soldato
But you can't angle them up I presume? That's what you need to go with ski bars.

I can put them at whatever angle I want, the only limitation is the pads have to match the aero bars.

TT tonight so see if my tweaks help & if there are any photographers (helpful!).

Soldato
Yeah @Berger as @SoliD says. You have EASY gains there!

I am unable to provide any valid input to lads not even willing to shave their legs :p Sort it out boys!
I'm surprised the Boardman tunnel folks tested someone with hairy legs. I bet they have a list of you "types" on the wall that have balls big enough to rock up with chewbacca legs :p :p

Oi! :p

I'd rather sacrifice a few watts to not look like ken doll from the waist down and big foot waist up!

Soldato
I can put them at whatever angle I want, the only limitation is the pads have to match the aero bars.

TT tonight so see if my tweaks help & if there are any photographers (helpful!).

Well 15 degree bars felt really natural and no issues, imagine I can go further and try again.

Impossible to do a direct comparison as it was super windy last night, mostly tail/head wind. I also ran my Corima disc/front wheel instead of Enve 65s.

It’s an out/back part way/out/back course now so had to keep your powder dry on the tail and save it for the headwinds. I paced it alright, had a clear run at all the roundabouts.

Took 10 seconds off my time from last week, pushed 5w more power, but most important I felt a lot lot better.

Last week I was all over the place just trying to get the watts down and felt like I was going to throw up. Much more controlled this week, I ride 25-30km out to the TT so riding home I felt OK too, last week totally empty.

Comparing the wheels, lot more comfortable on the Corimas, both are tubulars, but the Corima rims are wider (22.6mm) and have better tyres on them (22mm Conti Comps Vs Conti Giros). The wind when it gusted didn’t grab at the Corima front wheel anywhere near as much, it’s a 58mm compared to a 65 but it was much reduced.

If they are quicker, couldn’t say.... but if it makes the bike easier to control then that’s an energy saver.

Soldato
Not managed to get a proper side on picture from an event this year yet, but this is my current position:

ipwsj4.jpg

Not made too many changes this year but have swapped my old Zipp 808 tubular for a Hed Jet 6+ on the front, fitted an old TriRig Omega brake and tweaked the risers on my extensions to angle both the pads and bars. I haven't done any testing to validate yet but it seems to be working well based on performances to date (270w for a 49:48 on a fast 25 course, ~290w for a 21 on a local 10 course). Pretty happy considering the frame has been bodged with zip ties and duct tape to get Di2 running on it. :D

Soldato
Well I moved to 20 degree arm rests, felt odd for 30 mins but then OK. I like the carbon Vola bar setup or the PDQ but need some spend some £ on the house so have to use what I’ve got.

I went and did 50 miles, with a semi effort of the old 10 mile course in the middle of that, not going all out, a 25:30 from 250w, bit of extra coasting in there and soft pedalling, but good to hold the position for a period.

I have entered the Sigma sports 28 at the weekend in the Lakes. Might end up regretting it, we have a club 25 the following week so a good time for it.

I’ll have to get onto that cycling windsock and see what it estimates my CDA at.

Soldato
Not managed to get a proper side on picture from an event this year yet, but this is my current position

Drafting a car is cheating!:D

Entered the same TT I enter every year in Richmond Park (where @Thomas. PLease. normally podiums). Going to play around with my position a bit as I think I'm sacrificing Watts for aero. The position seems fine for cruising but when going hard it makes my left quadricep die quickly. Would be nice to get under 27mins finally but I'm not that confident.

Soldato
It was slowing me down, honest!

Always fancied doing the RP TT as used to ride round there a lot when I lived in London but the early start and location make it a pretty expensive jaunt for a northern monkey. Maybe next year.

Soldato
Always fancied doing the RP TT as used to ride round there a lot when I lived in London but the early start and location make it a pretty expensive jaunt for a northern monkey. Maybe next year.

Oh it's totally not worth it if you have to come down from Manchester. The only reason I do it is because I'm 6 miles away! Also, the TT bike category starts later than the road bike cat so fractionally more sleep.:cool:

Soldato
Oh it's totally not worth it if you have to come down from Manchester. The only reason I do it is because I'm 6 miles away! Also, the TT bike category starts later than the road bike cat so fractionally more sleep.:cool:

I'd love the chance to biff my TT bike at Cancellara corner though. :D And I'm sure I could find other stuff to do in London for the rest of the weekend...

Soldato
Drafting a car is cheating!:D

Entered the same TT I enter every year in Richmond Park (where @Thomas. PLease. normally podiums). Going to play around with my position a bit as I think I'm sacrificing Watts for aero. The position seems fine for cruising but when going hard it makes my left quadricep die quickly. Would be nice to get under 27mins finally but I'm not that confident.

Going to do the road bike category this year, so a good chance I won't be podiuming given how tough it is. Unless Hale and the likes end up in the TT category, which is a possibility now.

Soldato
Well after seeing some photos this weekend, my head still sticks up but my arms being more angled defiantly helps.

I can’t adjust my arm rests due to drilling too many holes in them to lighten them (made them from 3mm steel plate after the alloy ones cracked!).

Looks like I’ll have to go to an adjustable front end. I like the bullhorn style base bar, but need an adjustable up top while I refine my position.

Any recommendations? Or just buy some arm rests with lots of mounting positions and then use them on a bar upgrade at a later date?

Soldato
OP
@Berger it depends on what you want to spend and commit to right now.
The WattShop arm rests are great, I am loving mine. That's much cheaper to go with in mean time rather than full front end upgrade for example... they come blank though so you need to drill where you want them but that of course won't be an issue for you.
Get angled ones as well as you are going for higher hand position this will definitely lend to comfort in that regard also. They will obviously be usable down the line if you upgrade base bar as well.

I want a set of the Revolver aero mantis things. £200 for arm rests is even one step too ridiculous for me though.

I MIGHT have my 40 degree hi rise USE extensions available in the next couple of weeks as I have some Aerocoach 45's on the way specifically for eTap. Need to see how I get on with them first but will have either USE or Aerocoach ones available in near future if you are keen also (or anyone else of course on here).

Soldato
Ordered some USE 50deg extensions this morning. Currently using Specialized 40deg reversed, so these will be going on in the same manner. I'll be dropping the front end to the lowest point too (only something like 10mm to go down). Looking out for a single narrow wide bigger front chainring too to get a straighter chainline as I usually grind out a TT at low 80s cadence.

Back
Top Bottom