AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Caporegime
OP
Upgrading cables improves sound quality marginally at best.

Your talking as little as 1% improvement and possibly as much as 5% in extreme cases.

If the cable costs <5% of the headphones it's worth buying e.g. cables for the fidelio x1 cost like £3 (monoprice and kenable) therefore they are worth buying.

if you can get a better cable than stock for say £15 (5% of £300 RRP) which I seriously doubt you can, then it would be worthwhile IMO. If you can't just don't bother wasting your time or money as it would be better spent on improving your source or amp, or the type of media you use, etc.

i've just noticed the cables your on about they are about the £15 mark so it may be worth looking into them, they seem to be priced right on the threshold

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Given the email update from mass drop yesterday it looks like we may have these in our hands potentially by end of next week! Otherwise definitely the following week. Shipments are arriving at their warehouse now and they're being repacked from next Monday/Tuesday.

Soldato
after reading so many forum posts on these it seems people swap out the cable on these for one of only two reasons, the first is length and the second is colour, I haven't read of any one questioning the quality so it isn't really a need to do job.

Lime green on the way to me so may be Austrian given it is less popular.

Caporegime
OP
after reading so many forum posts on these it seems people swap out the cable on these for one of only two reasons, the first is length and the second is colour, I haven't read of any one questioning the quality so it isn't really a need to do job.

Lime green on the way to me so may be Austrian given it is less popular.

yeah i looked and the cables that you get are very long, one is 10 foot the other is 20 foot iirc.

i only need like a 1.5M cable for when I'm gaming but the longer ones will come in handy for music/movies.

Soldato
I do plan on making my own with some vandamme cables as I like tinkering, about 1 meter will do me for sitting at my desk on the pc but like you say I have a need for longer from time to time too.

If I manage to make mine all nice and presentable ill be happy to knock out a few for others, pricing looks cheap as chips, 1-1.5m of vandamme comes in at £2 odd plus connectors should be around a fiver for a pretty decent cable.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
1.8m for me, that's the V-Moda I have on the X1, perfect length for desktop use but the 3 metre is broken out when I'm walking about the room.

I will see how I get on with the stock Q701 cable, if it's too long then I'll get a new one.

Caporegime
OP
Caved and ordered a custom van damme 2m cable from the bay. Pretty sure my HD555's have a 3m one which is always getting caught in chair wheels so 2m should be perfect.

the pics of the cable on the bay are terrible

when it arrives could you please post some pics? what colour did you go for?

i know it's just a cable but i quite like the look of the stock cable tbh i may just live it being 10 foot for now and buy a smaller one if i feel it's being a nuisance.

Soldato
To be honest, the 10ft cable drives me nuts and spends most of the time piled up in a tangle to the side of the keyboard. I much prefer the coiled cable on the DT990's which hardly droops at all between my amp and ears. I'm probably going to get the 1.5m Van Damme even though I can't stand Coors Light :D

Soldato
Went for a red cable as I could only get the Q701's in green so thought it would fit the mad colour combo. Won't really be able to take pics for a month or more yet as away on tour.

Soldato
I quite fancy a red cable too, or even the orange, something to stand out I think. My headphones are black and silver, so a bit of colour would be nice. It'll have to wait until I've got some money though - eating comes first :D

Back
Top Bottom