AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
While the X1 has plenty of bass I would not call them a basshead headphone. It has lots of bass but basshead can is something I often see reserved for Beats and the like, stuff that most people would consider boomy or excessive perhaps.

Caporegime
OP
Double amping is squiffy at the best of times :o

i've heard that if the original source is clean then it's not such a big issue

in fact i'm sure MLE double amps his AKG's when using a mixamp.

if anyone wants to convert these into the 65th annies then you can

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition/780

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1h885z/

"Fun: I want to give them an 8 for fun, and they do deserve that most of the time, but there are times when you can tell that sub bass is lacking. Don't get me wrong, they can be bassy at times, but its leaning more towards mid bass punch, rather than the ambient/mood setting bass that I prefer. Still, they can get very fun at times, and anyone looking for a well balanced can that can perform great overall, make these a great choice.

Competitive: I can't directly compare the Q701 and K701 for competitive use, but no one should pass these up for the slight decrease in score. They are essentially just as good, but the K701 lacks a warmth I deem necessary for overall use, so you end up really focusing on details, which is the main strength in the K701. The emphasis on detail retrieval is what makes the K701 just beastly. The Q701 is tuned for more enjoyment FWIH, though they are still detail monsters, just not as glaringly obvious. As far as positional cues and accuracy, they are every bit as good as the K701. Soundstage may be just a smidge smaller, but I attribute that to the fuller sound. Soundstage to me is bigger on headphones that lack a lower end, letting the space breathe more.

Comfort-wise, quite polarizing. A lot of people have issue with the headband's bumps. I won't lie, they take getting used to. However, once you've beared with it enough, your head will get desensitized by that particular sensation. The bumps no longer affect me in the least. I find them decent to good. My main complaint now is that I wish the headband extended just a little more. I have to fully extend them to fit me properly, and it's quite noticeably felt, though it's not a real discomfort.

I need to mention that while the Q701 is a better overall can than the old K701 to me, the difference is not night and day. They essentially sound VERY similar, with a slight tonal difference. The difference was definitely enough for me to say it's worth choosing the Q701. Need to clear that up, in case people are expecting a big difference. Think of the Q701 as a very slightly EQ-ed K701, with added warmth and very slightly more bass.

Like the K701, they desire amping when using voice chat. The sound also scales with amping, but isn't really necessary.

Update 3/5/2013: So it seems that the K702 Anniversary and Q701 are essentially the same sound-wise, the difference being attributed to the K702 Anniversary having memory foam pads that alter the sound. The new sound gives these headphones a warmer, thicker body, with bass that now meets the mids, for an even more balanced sound, though not as immediately airy as the Q701 pads.

If you happen to already own the Q701, you might want to invest on some K712 pads which will bring the sound to a new level, one I personally feel is superior in bass, balance, body, and fun. The K712 pads will still allow the Q701 to be very detailed, and amazing for competitive play, but with the added benefit of being more fun.

Which is better? Well, now that they're known to be essentially the same with different pads being what harbors the difference in sound, the K702 Anniversary still has the added benefit of a flat headband which is much more comfortable. They are also limited in quantity and aesthetics, if you are into that. Buying new, the Q701 + K712 pads will cost less than $300, while the Annie is ready to go at around $375. If you are brave enough to mod the headband on the Q701, you can also pay for a K601 headband which will be flat and more comfy than the stock headband. Still, I have seen a thread on the mod, and doesn't seem easy. This will further bump up the price to perhaps around the Annie's price anyways. If you have owned the Q701 already, you can basically renew them for around $100 for the Annie pads and K601 headband, which is probably more appealing and cost effective than spending $375 to replace the Q701 for the Annie, barring selling your Q701 to fund for the Annie as some have done."

"The Q701 is basically about 98% as good as the K701 for competitive use. The reason it gets a lower score is because it's not as competitive oriented as the K701, though ultimately, I would suggest the Q701 anyways, as it's more enjoyable all around and still god-mode inducing."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...e-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

K701 review

"Remember how I felt the AD700 did something to me? How it completely change my view on headphones and Dolby Headphone? Well, I got that same feeling again with the K701. In fact, I felt like god had given me the secret to just out right smite my enemies with the hammer of justice. The K701 to me, is pure, unadulterated, SMACKDOWN inducing OWNAGE. The very first time I used them (Modern Warfare 2), I went 2 straight 25-0 games in Free For All. I mean, holy smokes. The K701 was like wearing x-ray vision goggles for my ears. Depth, width, imaging, complete detail retrieval... it had it all. These to me, are the very vision of the perfect gaming headphone (with Dolby Headphone). I'd still place the overall positioning behind the DT770 Pro 80, and AD700, but it's on par with the HD598. We're talking about them being maybe a 9.9 instead of a 10 (which is what the 770s and AD700s are to me). Those two have NOTHING on the clarity and detail-whoring the K701 has. The bass is light, but present enough for it not to be anywhere near a complaint for me. It just works. You want my top pick for a purely godlike hardcore gaming headphone? The K70x is it. Now if only they were easy to drive. Believe it or not, the Mixamp does a good job driving the K70x, as long as you don't mix in voice chat whatsoever. Talking about leaving the game/voice balance completely on the game side. Once you nudge the balance away from game, the volume takes a steep dive, and you will note how badly the things need an amp.

Now I already know how volume =/= driving force, but for gaming with dolby headphone, you WON'T think about that or notice. Trust me, the Mixamp is enough for the K701 if again, you don't add voice chat. If you do, you WILL need to attach an amp to the Mixamp's headphone out, just to juice the K70x and voice chat audio. Yes, they do scale with good amping, but for the purpose of gaming, I don't deem it necessary, asides from when you're in need of voice chat.

Comfort-wise, quite polarizing. A lot of people have issue with the headband's bumps. I won't lie, they take getting used to. However, once you've beared with it enough, your head will get desensitized by that particular sensation. The bumps no longer affect me in the least. I find them decent to good. My main complaint now is that I wish the headband extended just a little more. I have to fully extend them to fit me properly, and it's quite noticeably felt, though it's not a real discomfort."

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have no idea who MLE is - I'm only interested in the Q701's multitasking gaming, movie and musical ability.

There's too dramatisation with audio reviews around the web so I opted to just go by experience and trust my own ears. I'll post just that once I've had some time with the Q701 :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Who said I don't listen to reviews? Of course I do and it's what I've observed where things get blown pout of proportion and walls of text start appearing.

Keep it simple, share an experience and back it up. That's why I'm buying the Q701 so I can experience them and back whatever I say up. They may well be better and if/when they are I'll post about that.

Soldato
Reviews are only useful to a point. Audio is far too subjective and variable to rely on any one (or even any several) sources.

Where possible, use it to get an idea of the phone but then rrust your own ears to do the rest and the decision making.

Caporegime
OP
Well I don't think so many positive reviews means they can be crap but I do agree hype can take over. It's the same with anything. Smartphones get hyped up so much they are a disappointment when they are released. Same happens with movies, video games, etc.

I don't tend to really listen to movie reviews as most of them are overly critical. I judge movies on my own likes/dislikes of what I am looking for and wanting out of a movie.

I use headphone reviews as a gauge of quality. These have always been highly reviewed and expensively priced. AKG are a well known high quality brand within headphones much like Sennheiser. In fact AKG have a much bigger and better reputation than Phillips when it comes to headphones. Phillips surprised a lot of people with their full Fidelio range.

I have no idea what these sound like but I know that they should be good. AKG are used by music producers, etc. In fact these are named after one "Quincy Jones".

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh indeed I am sure they are amazing and more than likely I'll have a new addition to my current solo collection - We will find out once the mass drops!

I've stopped putting any thought into products that are named after famous people in their relevant field ever since companies like Monster fell in bed with Dr Dre and now we have every other big name putting their names on products. That's not to knock the Q701 of course, it's just for me no thought process passes regarding who sponsors what product and I prefer to just focus on the product :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah had a browse marathon on them earlier in the evening. Hmm the black are sold out on mass drop so it's pretty clear they are most popular. I would have thought the white would be 2nd in line?

The green does look funky though.

Permabanned
K550 have too much bass for me, X1 would be like strapping a sub to my head!

:eek:

I find mine very flat. I'm going to replace them with something else. I spent hours browsing head fi yesterday, so I'm a wee bit more clued up as to what to buy. I'll wait until I've purchased DAC/amp before making a final decision though.

Soldato
:eek:

I find mine very flat. I'm going to replace them with something else. I spent hours browsing head fi yesterday, so I'm a wee bit more clued up as to what to buy. I'll wait until I've purchased DAC/amp before making a final decision though.

:o K550 sounded incredibly flat to me!

I like the K550 just found the seal really annoying.

The seal is why I bought them, only use them if I want to block out any background noise.

Here is a quick graph from where I buy my headphones.

RepHCMo.png

As you can see the K701s that I was used to for 5 or 6 years have the lowest bass response, before them I had the older version of the DT880.

The difference from K701 to K550 is quite large and it is also what is putting me off buying the K812 without trying them first.

If you think K550 have no bass, don't even bother with neutral headphones!

Edit: Just put my K550s on, Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC into Lyr Amp and played a few songs at a moderate volume. I can feel my head vibrate from the bass... I don't know why you would want more than that :p

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the amount that customs values your import at
- Duty: £0.00
- VAT: £19.16
Total import duty & taxes due: £19.16
This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
Total landed cost: £114.95
This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
at exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.7 USD

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance
Headphones has an import duty rate of 2% and a VAT rate of 20% . Some probability that restrictions apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies. Packaging and labelling requirements apply to Lithium batteries whether they are contained in the equipment or sent separately from the device. Please, contact your courier for more information.

Notes on import taxes due
Duty result is nil because the total value of the products does not exceed £135.00
Please include the costs of insurance to assure correct import tax calculation
Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Last edited:
Permabanned
The seal is why I bought them, only use them if I want to block out any background noise.

Here is a quick graph from where I buy my headphones.

RepHCMo.png

As you can see the K701s that I was used to for 5 or 6 years have the lowest bass response, before them I had the older version of the DT880.

The difference from K701 to K550 is quite large and it is also what is putting me off buying the K812 without trying them first.

If you think K550 have no bass, don't even bother with neutral headphones!

Edit: Just put my K550s on, Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC into Lyr Amp and played a few songs at a moderate volume. I can feel my head vibrate from the bass... I don't know why you would want more than that :p

Wow I'll steer clear of 701s then. Had a look the k812...I think those are beyond my rave ruined ears :D

I might pump for the Phillips x1. They'd suit my preferred music genre better.

Caporegime
OP
Wow I'll steer clear of 701s then. Had a look the k812...I think those are beyond my rave ruined ears :D

I might pump for the Phillips x1. They'd suit my preferred music genre better.

You could always use an equaliser. Simply keep the bass at neutral and lower the other frequencies to compensate.

That way you can control exactly how much bass the can has.

That way you save yourself £70-£90 by buying these over x1's. If you can't be bothered doing that then get X1's.

Caporegime
OP
I am really liking the look of Ox and Bull Silk Cuff Link Set, shipping is expensive though for what seems to be a little plastic tube with some silk and a cork on top.

I suppose that's normal with it being on the other side of the world.

What would have been cool if someone had organised a mass buy on here (so they all shipped to their address) and then shipped them to us using cheap royal mail postage.

Far too late to organise something like that though.

Back
Top Bottom