Alan Wake 2

And the reason for the high specs is now clear, FInnish mentality :p

The worrying thing is, it might be cause it's an Nvidia sponsored game, they gave Remedy a backhander to push buying hardware people didn't need...
I mean that table we saw mate... C'mon, if that isn't scare tactics/marketing, I don't know what is!

Last edited:
Yeah, so a PC apples to apples comparison would be the AMD equivalent card of the PS5's hardware (I forget which one but there is one isn't there) running on the PC at the same graphic settings/res...

Not a random Nvidia card running FSR of all things and not DLSS, if you're going to make a completely random comparison with Nvidia then he should be using a mid tier card such as mine that the game is literally designed for using DLSS3.5/FG/Reflex/RT...

So this is pointless on the basis of a direct PS5 spec PC build comparison... As it isn't the same hardware as the PS5's APU is it.
true.

i see it as a "redeem" of sorts for "3070 is already obsolete, consoles are so much better than PC". they aren't.

true.

i see it as a "redeem" of sorts for "3070 is already obsolete, consoles are so much better than PC". they aren't.
Yeah don't worry it was in no way a dig at you mate :)

It just makes no sense for them to make a statement like "here's the direct PC hardware form of what's in the PS5" then not use it. Then to use FSR on a DLSS product? You what m9? :cry:

Would have made more sense to literally say, here's how it randomly plays on a last gen mid tier Nvidia card?
Seeing as there IS a AMD GPU people claim is basically the PS5's portion of the GPU side of that APU? Which is usually how they do these kinds of silly comparisons despite IMHO that being pointless, as no one builds a pc to the spec of a console, nor expects the performance to match it/beat it?

"Today we're comparing Stella out of the fridge from a can at home to Stella pulled at the pub..." *Get's out a random can of Cider!* "See the same m9!"

Last edited:
Posted in the RT thread but worth here too because game related:

From TPU's conclusion :cool:
Thanks to support for ray tracing, path tracing and NVIDIA ray reconstruction, you have several tools in your arsenal to further improve the visual quality of the game. NVIDIA's Ray Reconstruction, in particular, solidifies its role as the third fundamental feature of DLSS, complementing upscaling and frame generation. Previously the feature could only be enabled (officially) for path tracing. Now it is available for classic ray tracing, too. It fuses various rendering steps into a single one, so additional information is available. It definitely helps to enhance the quality of shadows and reflections with more fine detail. The good thing is that it even brings with it a performance boost, at least in all our testing in Alan Wake 2. The best thing? It's supported on all GeForce RTX cards, not just GeForce 40—so no reason to not enable it.

But this did make me lol:
The settings menu of Alan Wake 2 has a long list of options for performance tuning, but there will be a ton of drama around the forced upscaling. Yup, you can't render at native. There's only options for "DLSS" and "FSR"—nothing else. Both upscalers come with the option to render at native resolution, but will still use the image enhancement techniques of the upscaler. Not sure why Remedy made such a choice—it will just antagonize players
Sod those people, for FSR it's labelled as "native", for DLSS that's DLAA. This is as good as rendering at native res, because it's rendering at native res whilst utilising the upscaler for its AA benefits. I don't think TPU got that memo? Without this method, you'd have to use in-engine AA settings whic are 99% of the time total crap anyway so you'd end up using DLAA anyway, Remedy have just bunched two steps into one for ease of application.

Last edited:
Posted in the RT thread but worth here too because game related:

From TPU's conclusion :cool:

But this did make me lol:

Sod those people, for FSR it's labelled as "native", for DLSS that's DLAA. This is as good as rendering at native res, because it's rendering at native res whilst utilising the upscaler for its AA benefits. I don't think TPU got that memo?
Haha I cannot wait for the moaning about this! It's going to be glorious, then it'll be the hardware/pricing's fault!

All those AMD fanboy's that slated DLSS/4xxx etc etc are going to loose their minds! Starfield payback time haha!

"I DoNt LiKe DlLsS AnYwAy iT DoEsN'T bOtHeR mE RaY tRaCiNg Is A fAd RaStEr RaStEr! EvErYtHiNg Is ToO eXpEnSiVe"

*grabs popcorn*

Oh and @mrk I expect GIFs lots of GIFs!

Last edited:
Gamespot's PC review:

Such a rave review, looking forward to playing it. I completed the original Alan Wake years ago but for the hell of me I can't remember much about it, except for feeling a bit bored near the end.

Looks like I might have to shuffle my intended play list order (again) :D.

Such a rave review, looking forward to playing it. I completed the original Alan Wake years ago but for the hell of me I can't remember much about it, except for feeling a bit bored near the end.

He was a druggie writer with a god complex and according to the 2 dlc's (which I wouldn't recommend) who was basically tripping balls and creating his own realities and getting lost in them due to his own narcissism.

This paranoia and tripping then causes him to be aggressive to everyone in his life, especially his girlfriend and best friend, and pretty much fight his own conscious.

His best friend was very annoying throughout and his appearances feature some of the worst written cringe cheese on toast pointless dialogue along with encounters, he made the last half of the game and 2nd dlc nearly unbearable.

At first you think they've just got someone terrible for his voice acting, who's never acted in their life and exaggerates everything for dramatic effect but just makes it look fake and dumb, later you find out that's just Alan's narcissistic personality and he really does think that highly of himself and everyone else is below him, then you find out in the 2 DLC's he's a drug addict and it makes more sense why he acts like this, or rather why it'd even worse if he's that full of himself and his last famous book to start with before becoming a drug addict...

I did the original recently and both DLCs. Pretty underwhelming, overhyped and linear, loved Control though.

Hopefully this is more of what I loved about Control with less of what I hated about AW...

Last edited:

I replayed the Remaster a few weeks back, the controls feel a bit clunky by modern standards (with a controller at least) and the gameplay mechanics are a bit repetitive and frustrating at times, but you soon get used to them and the game and story holds up well otherwise.

This'll get you up to speed on the main events though (spoiler alert: it's got absolutely nothing to do with drugs):

I replayed the Remaster a few weeks back, the controls feel a bit clunky by modern standards (with a controller at least) and the gameplay mechanics are a bit repetitive and frustrating at times, but you soon get used to them and the game and story holds up well otherwise.

This'll get you up to speed on the main events though (spoiler alert: it's got absolutely nothing to do with drugs):
Yeah, it does have its quirks (really hate how it takes away your weapons between acts), but the atmosphere and writing (and graphics, as old as they are), are excellent.

Sounds like you haven't played the 2 DLC's for AW1 then nor Controls last DLC which Alan Wake features in?

In the DLC's he's literally in rehab/therapy sitting down explaining things to a doctor/shrink and they're talking about his drug addiction and how it got worse and worse to the point he started taking things out more aggressively on his gf and friends.

Then it gets to the point where he doesn't know wether this is happening or not, due to his paranoia and excessive drug use and being such a narcissist!

Where he is so full of himself he refuses to accept this and thus it drives him madder and madder along with what he's writing, or thinking he's wrote/is/isn't reality.
This then triggers loads of trippy sequences which occur at the rehab/doctors place in between what's actually occurring with the shrink conversation. Thus confusing him further and further to what's reality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom