Alan Wake 2

Performance on a 3070 looks really rough (low, no RT). Guess it's a vram thing. I'm guessing a lot of cherry-picking (for performance) will be possible for this title depending on the scene.

According to Techpowerup the game uses a lot of VRAM (up to 18GB with pathtracing and frame generation):

I wish Nvidia hadn't been so stingy with VRAM on the 30 series, but I knew it would be a problem when I bought my 3080 FE (thankfully for MSRP) and so it proves to be.

Last edited:
Just realised I've lied, by virtue of the fact I use UE5, I have the epic launcher installed lol. No games installed but I have just seen I collected loads of freebies including Subnautica which was recommend to me.
Subnautica (the first one) is a masterpiece, the sequel not so much. Epic is great for freebies, picked up some cracking titles for nothing on there over the years.

According to Techpowerup the game uses a lot of VRAM (up to 18GB with pathtracing and frame generation):

I wish Nvidia hadn't been so stingy with VRAM on the 30 series, but I knew it would be a problem when I bought my 3080 FE (thankfully for MSRP) and so it proves to be.
Stingy? Should have gotten a 3090 Hehe

The game is gorgeous, even on lower settings. Runs well on my RX 6800. Can do 60 fps at 4K with FSR2 Performance (but mix of settings levels) or just max it out with Ultra Performance. Ofc, no RT, tested it for a bit but seemed somewhat borked for me (didn't get the driver for AW2 though). The atmosphere is on point but not really my thing, and unfortunately as I suspected there's not much of an actual game to it. More of an experience (or walking simulator, if I were less charitable), which is fine.

Not sure I'd necessarily recommend playing it, let alone upgrading for it.

The game is gorgeous, even on lower settings. Runs well on my RX 6800. Can do 60 fps at 4K with FSR2 Performance (but mix of settings levels) or just max it out with Ultra Performance. Ofc, no RT, tested it for a bit but seemed somewhat borked for me (didn't get the driver for AW2 though). The atmosphere is on point but not really my thing, and unfortunately as I suspected there's not much of an actual game to it. More of an experience (or walking simulator, if I were less charitable), which is fine.

Not sure I'd necessarily recommend playing it, let alone upgrading for it.
As long as it has the atmosphere I will be happy, the thing I most loved about Alan Wake 1 was that it was the closest thing I had experienced to being in a Stephen King novel. So if it encapsulates that again, that will do me nicely :)

As long as it has the atmosphere I will be happy, the thing I most loved about Alan Wake 1 was that it was the closest thing I had experienced to being in a Stephen King novel. So if it encapsulates that again, that will do me nicely :)
Yeah, I don't mind more 'experience' type games either if it's to my taste. In this case they did execute quite well on the atmosphere so you'll enjoy it.

@mrk
84097b.jpg

Last edited:
Maintaining 60fps in 1440, DLSS on quality , all settings on High, motion blur and film grain off of course. Frame Generation on, raytracing on medium. That'll do.

Back
Top Bottom