*** Alien: Covenant ***

Soldato
Alien 4 was the worst, 3 was ok. These latest ones are below that with better sfx
Danny sealing off the doors resembled the first Alien with Dallas in the aircon with the flamethrower.
Covenant is a kind of repeat, like a broken record thats getting more scratched with each cycle

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gave this a good re-view last week... Better than my memory at the flicks, and plenty to digest, but "let me do the fingering" and "there's so much wrong here" stand out as utterly hilarious.

Still beaten by miles by the Alien:3 assembly cut IMHO.

Was watching that version of Aien 3 the other night, i was suspirsed the movie came out in 1992, i always thought it was 1991. The cg alien was pretty bad to say the least, matte lines all over the show, and it seemed to keep changing colour from a pale brown to a greenish colour, that bit where Pete Postlethwaite sees it on a ceiling and throws a torch at it, it looked incredibly bad, almost like a jpeg that had been compressed so much it was nothing but artifacts.

Soldato
Was watching that version of Aien 3 the other night, i was suspirsed the movie came out in 1992, i always thought it was 1991. The cg alien was pretty bad to say the least, matte lines all over the show, and it seemed to keep changing colour from a pale brown to a greenish colour, that bit where Pete Postlethwaite sees it on a ceiling and throws a torch at it, it looked incredibly bad, almost like a jpeg that had been compressed so much it was nothing but artifacts.

It isn't CGI...but it kind of is ;)

A common misconception regarding Alien3 is that the Dragon was portrayed in wide shots through the use of computer-generated imagery (CGI). While this is false — the aforementioned rod puppets and optical compositing were used to depict the full creature on screen — some CGI was used to help portray the Dragon. Digitally implemented shadows were added to the rod puppet once it had been composited into the live-action footage, and mattes to enhance motion blur in scenes where the creature is moving quickly were also added digitally.[17] The only time in the film that the Alien itself is portrayed with CGI is a very brief shot of its skull cracking moments before its body explodes through thermal shock.[17]

Source: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dragon

Caporegime
It isn't CGI...but it kind of is ;)

Source: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dragon

They would probably have been better going cg as the result they got in the movie looks really amateurish, even by 1992 standards.

VEpwGOy.png

That's the scene with the torch being chucked at it, other scenes you've got matte lines that are incredibly obvious. It baffles me how this movie cost $65 million even with reshoots and set rebuilds, it seems and looks to be much smaller in sale than Aliens and that only cost around $20 million with a hell of a lot more going on in the movie.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Alien 4 was the worst, 3 was ok.

Alien 4 was a terrible Alien movie, but it was very much typical sci fi action flick of the era, and it would be OK as such, without the Alien part, I never quite warmed up to Alien 3 though. The whole prison thing didn't work for me as an Alien location, retrospectively it's more Chronicles of Riddick world with Alien cast crossover, and additionally it was just so... British. So budget. Someone asked how they could spend 65 mil on it - precisely - it had a classic money laundering feel - as if they wanted to make it straight to VHS while "bleeding" a lot of funds on something that had the cheapest location out of all Alien movies.

Man of Honour
I loved Alien 4. As said, go into it as a standalone and it's decent.

As an overall story continuation, it's a bit daft. Cloning Ripley to get the alien embryo, her getting super powers etc all seemed a bit convoluted and daft.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
The only redeeming thing about this turkey was that we now know exactly how the aliens came to be, albeit a ludicrous choice for the story.

Soldato
The only redeeming thing about this turkey was that we now know exactly how the aliens came to be, albeit a ludicrous choice for the story.

Stupid. When david was in the ship floating above those people I thought WTH???

I think the next Alien movie should have the main character wake up after having a nightmare, that Promethius and Coveneant wenre't real, and then goes "phew I'm glad it was just a dream, wow Ridley Scott is a ass" and then get back to proper Alien movie.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No matter what they do, Alien and Aliens will never be defeated. They were made in an era where it was a new groundbreaking feat. Both masterpieces.

That being said, I thought Covenant was OK at best. Better than 4 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom