*** Alien: Covenant ***

Soldato
So much hate for Alien 3. I disliked it on first viewing, but the second time around really gelled. It felt very claustrophobic, and I noticed some things I hadn't before (like the fact the alien actually came from a dog this time).

That said, it does not stand the test of time in comparison to the others. I still rank it 3rd in line tho. The rest have been abysmal, but mainly in chronological order i.e. convenant has been the worst. Aliens is above alien for me tho, as it was my first watch and it really scared the hell out of me in an era where freddy krueger couldn't.
If Alien 3 didn't continue the storyline from Aliens (essentially killing off 2 of the 3 leads in a credit scene crash) it might be regarded far more highly from a horror perspective. As is I can say it is rarely watched!

Soldato
Watch covenant again tonight, meh. Even the whole talk between David and Walter with Walter being more robot like was taken straight out of TNG where Lore says that he was too human and it unsettled people so Data was created to be more robot like, pretty much the same dialogue in this.

Its funny just how fast the Aliens grow in this movie, the back burster went from being the size of a puppy to the size of a rottweiler when it scurries outside the ship mere moments after being born. I know they're meant to grow fast but that was a bit ridiculous. Whistle and i'll come (spelling of come is left open to interpretation) and the whole "i'll do the fingering" part.

It goes from a spore to a back burster in about 30 minutes so not really that unbelievable (in the context of the movies).

Soldato
Some things just don't need to be explained, the Xenomorph could have and should have just been an Alien species, instead of shoehorning in this bs story of it being a psycho Androids personal engineering project.

It also doesn't tally with the original "Bone Ship" in Alien being declared as 100's if not 1000's of years old and fossilised. As the black fluid/spores seem to be something of a wild card as regards the exact appearance of the Xenomorph, what are the chances of David creating an exact match?

Unless Scott has disavowed the AvP movies, an Alien Queen and Alien Warriors had already been seen on Earth in Mayan etc. times, again in the late 19th century and finally when the ill fated Weyland expedition reached Antarctica. Oh and not to mention running around Oregon in the early 21st Century. The Predators were also well acquainted with the species (trophy head in P2) and must therefore have had some interaction with the Engineers in order to set up their training grounds.

If the Alien we know and love is truly the result of David's genetic engineering, I can only assume Scott is intending to introduce some sort of time travel element in the third film. The perils of writing your story backwards!

Caporegime
It also doesn't tally with the original "Bone Ship" in Alien being declared as 100's if not 1000's of years old and fossilised.

That's also been ret-conned, the story behind that was they thought that was the actual alien in Alien when prometheus showed it to be a suit, so their assumption of it being fossilized was wrong apparently. Reeks of bs as an explanation really.

Man of Honour
I dont know if this has already been posted. but why wasn't this stuff put in the movie, it would have all made so much sense and been far better. Would still need to remove all the silly deaths and over the top silly action scenes.

Man of Honour
I dont know if this has already been posted. but why wasn't this stuff put in the movie, it would have all made so much sense and been far better.

Usually it's a case of Director wanting to do X but Studio overruling and doing Y. It's a shame as the story/lore they were building with Prometheus was interesting and then they just flush it all away in Covenant.

Caporegime
I have no details, but I've read some comments about him having some kind of respiratory issue/disability that affects his speech. Dunno how true it is.

If it is true he really took up the wrong thing, he sounds as if he's asking a question in most of his sentences whilst trying not to laugh.

Soldato
Watxhing this now with the missus. Almost finished and considering I'm here posting while they have been taking off for ten minutes.. I can confirm this film is utterly crap.

Just finished it. Predictable ending and myself and girlfriend were bored for last 40 minutes. Just wanted it to end..

Yawn

Last edited:
Soldato
I was a huge fan of Alien and Aliens. This film really was abysmal in comparison.

I appreciate it looked stunning in places (except for bad alien cgi) but it made me rage more than most films I've seen in recent times.

I swear I nearly threw something when she waded into room with a shotgun then fell on her arse in the blood.

Even die hard alien fans must struggle to compliment this film. Its pacing was slow, none of the characters were relatable and them dying was just a snoozefest.

Soldato
Don't think about it too much, the film-making team didn't...
Questions:
1. Why did Mother not identify it was David and alert the crew. Because he was in Walters body? Because Mother/Weyland Corp is complicit?
2. If 1, why did he not self heal when back on the main ship? If he couldn't, why did the crew not realise?
3. If not 1 how did he dye his hair and remove his hand so quickly?

I think Ridley Scott has just failed at the basics or there is some key information we are missing.

Back
Top Bottom