Alien TV series (Alien Earth) : 2025

I saw it at the cinema and it was dark and dirty and wasnt happy it basically took a dump on the previous movie but it was OK. Most of the cast were British as well (Brian Glover, Charles Dance, Moxy from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) It was plagued with re-write after re-write and iirc i remembered seeing a documentary saying they were getting scenes/script changes faxed over daily it was an utter **** show. The original story was also bloody weird with the pseudo religious themes and wooden planet.
Killing off newt and hicks ruined it for me.

Lol imagine being a massive fan of Aliens going on release night in a time with very little internet access and seeing that in the first 10 mins. Well that’s what I got I lived it! Oh and after it finished at almost midnight some drunk scumbag tried to ram me off the road in his work van with his mates hanging out the back.

I don't get the love for Newt and Hicks personally, Newt was a pretty wooden kid actor, which you can't just brush over with the 'she's traumatised' excuse. Hicks is the good guy grunt.... same character he played in Terminator. A couple of classic meme lines save them.

Charles Dance's character and performance as Clemens in Alien 3 is miles better than either of em. What really makes 3 for me is all the characters are so well written and acted, a league above any other Alien film, and obviously Ripley is the star of the show. The whole setup of her on the hyper-macho prison world full of criminals and the tension there is ace. The sets and cinematography are excellent. We go back to the suspense of barely seeing the Alien the whole film, the stop-motion and puppetry when you do see it is great and more visceral and impactful compared to the dudes in rubber suits flopping around in Aliens.

The central conceit of one alien in a contained space with a bunch of people with no weapons is a better setup, especially as its all these super-masculine hard men being reduced to gibbering wrecks.

I think I need to break out my one and only bluray purchase and rewatch it this weekend actually, since I'm stuck indoors with covid!

I don't get the love for Newt and Hicks personally, Newt was a pretty wooden kid actor, which you can't just brush over with the 'she's traumatised' excuse. Hicks is the good guy grunt.... same character he played in Terminator. A couple of classic meme lines save them.

A lot of it is how casually they are dismissed in 3 when a large part of Aliens. Some scenes which included interaction between the two at the bit where they are looking at the map emerged recently on YouTube which never made it to the movie which are quite decent character development though brief.

A lot of it is how casually they are dismissed in 3 when a large part of Aliens. Some scenes which included interaction between the two at the bit where they are looking at the map emerged recently on YouTube which never made it to the movie which are quite decent character development though brief.
You'd be fuming if you read what William Gibson did to Ripley in his script :D

Would have preferred it be retcon and Neill Blomkamp given the go ahead but that's out the door now.
Considering he initially did one great movie and 2 mediocre ones before the news of his Alien sequel came out, I was never on board. He's visually excellent but he's not a great story teller. I'd happily see him direct an Alien movie written by someone else though.

I'm in danger of repeating what I posted in the Fede Alvarez Alien movie thread though so i'll get back in my box :D

Newt was a pretty wooden kid actor, which you can't just brush over with the 'she's traumatised' excuse. Hicks is the good guy grunt.... same character he played in Terminator. A couple of classic meme lines save them.

I don't think people were expecting Carrie Henn to turn in an oscar-winning performance (depsite winning a few awards for her role), I'd suggest it's more likely it's what Newt represents to Ripley which was more important and the same with Hicks, although he does have a few of his own "hero" moments to make him stand-out from the rest.

You'd be fuming if you read what William Gibson did to Ripley in his script :D

I'm not that invested in any one character in Aliens it is the ensemble of the cast and the gritty feel which makes it - it is one of a tiny number of movies I can rewatch time and time again - most movies once I've watched once that is it.

Alien 3 in its own way is a great movie, they just should have made it more discrete to Aliens and it is very different to what made Aliens enjoyable.

I'm not that invested in any one character in Aliens it is the ensemble of the cast and the gritty feel which makes it - it is one of a tiny number of movies I can rewatch time and time again - most movies once I've watched once that is it.

Alien 3 in its own way is a great movie, they just should have made it more discrete to Aliens and it is very different to what made Aliens enjoyable.
See, I've always preferred Alien, to me it stands out as a genuine masterpiece of film-making, everything about it is absolutely spot on. It's my #1 film of all time, and hasn't aged a day, still looks as good as when it released in 1979.

Aliens took it in a different direction, it's a James Cameron movie! The characters are more charicatures and less nuanced and real, it's big, bombastic, more aliens, more guns, more explosions, more big set pieces, loads of cheesy one-liners, more special effects, and it's really bloody long. I love it but it's much more a big blockbuster style movie, and lost a bit of what made Alien great. The visuals haven't aged well at all. It's still great, like Predator, and T2, but a bit more....vanilla.

Alien 3 went back to the original formula. No yeehaw marines, no guns, no explosions bombast, no cheesy one-liners. More focused on a bunch of 'normal' (well, -ish) people trying to figure out this lone alien killing machine that's stalking them. The stop-motion effects look amazing still compared to the flopping rubber suits in Aliens.

So there :P Aliens is the abberation, the spin-off. Alien3 is the true successor to Alien.

Set 70 years in the future on Earth. Which would put it somewhere around the events of Prometheus which left earth 2091 landed 2093.

Not sure what to make of that. Noah Hawley and Timothy Olyphant, yes please, but more Prometheus, no thanks.

Is this more of a Caprica esq prequel ?

Noah Hawley is one the best tv makers around today (might even be the best imo) so i'm actually looking forward to this

You'd better buddy, you'd better! :mad: :D

I was one of the few lunatics who attended the midnight premiere of "that film", stood amongst the rest of the hardcore Aliens Universe fans, happily wearing my "Narcissus" t-shirt in homage to the first film and my "Bug Stomper" baseball cap in homage to the second, chatting away with the 100+ other fans all excitedly looking forward to what Ridley Scott brought us as the next instalment of his master-piece creation, only to walk out at the end to a very muted, almost sombre reaction from this group of hardcore fans. Almost no-one talked and the few that did were in hushed tones, almost as if no-one even dared voice the same thing we all seemed to be thinking "well that was crap!" and by the time I made to the car park those thoughts started to give way to loud animated "well that was crap!" conversations as people finally processed what they'd been through whilst they got in their cars and sped away from the source of their trauma.

To say that I was devastated by just how poor I felt this film was would be a monumental understatement, and this is 100% true if an over-reaction I know, but I've never worn any of my Alien Universe t-shirts, hats etc since nor watched the follow-up film either.

Other than that I thought it was OK though :D

Last edited:
Really don’t want more Prometheus crap.

Id love a direct sequel to Aliens myself but that project is dead and buried.

If they explore anything could be resurrection ending as clone ripley finally got back to earth if I recall right. Though she is far too old to play any main protagonist role now

Noah Hawley suggesting he's ignoring Prometheus / Covenant and the whole Engineers / bioweapon backstory.

This is great news, has only raised my expectations of the show even further.

News today says they have plans for multiple seasons across a 3 act run.

“I think that endings are what gives a story meaning, and so you should never start a story without some sense of where it’s going because then you can really build that meaning into it.

With Legion, I had what felt like a three-act structure to it that I didn’t know if that would be three seasons or five seasons, or whatever it was, but I sort of knew what a beginning, middle, and end was.

And here, similarly, I knew that their desire was for a recurring series, not a limited series, and I had an idea that I was excited about, that I could see the escalation of it from one year to another.

That’s where we ended up not pitching them having a bible or pitching them blow-by-blow, but saying, ‘Big picture: this is the first movement, this is the second movement, and we’re ultimately going here.'”

Back
Top Bottom