Alien TV series (Alien Earth) : 2025

In my experience having multiple seasons planned means everything moves at a glacial pace which puts people off and then people switch off and you end up with an unresolved story that leaves everyone dissatisfied when it gets cancelled before completion.

You'd better buddy, you'd better! :mad: :D

I was one of the few lunatics who attended the midnight premiere of "that film", stood amongst the rest of the hardcore Aliens Universe fans, happily wearing my "Narcissus" t-shirt in homage to the first film and my "Bug Stomper" baseball cap in homage to the second, chatting away with the 100+ other fans all excitedly looking forward to what Ridley Scott brought us as the next instalment of his master-piece creation, only to walk out at the end to a very muted, almost sombre reaction from this group of hardcore fans. Almost no-one talked and the few that did were in hushed tones, almost as if no-one even dared voice the same thing we all seemed to be thinking "well that was crap!" and by the time I made to the car park those thoughts started to give way to loud animated "well that was crap!" conversations as people finally processed what they'd been through whilst they got in their cars and sped away from the source of their trauma.

To say that I was devastated by just how poor I felt this film was would be a monumental understatement, and this is 100% true if an over-reaction I know, but I've never worn any of my Alien Universe t-shirts, hats etc since nor watched the follow-up film either.

Other than that I thought it was OK though :D

You haven't actually stated why you didn't like it
:-p

It was a good introduction to those who had never watched alien. Acting was decent, good cast. Pacing was good and left you wanting more.

Fight me

Last edited:

Greased up and naked or letterboxes & poop at dawn in the traditional OcUK way, your choice! :D

Basically I thought it was just filled with "dumb*" screenwriting which I wasn't expecting from Ridley or Lindelof (from his TV stuff). For examples of specifics there's enough YT vids out there explaining all the "dumb" stuff in an easier to digest form than reading paragraphs of a diatribe to make the same point, but the most visceral point was that the constant "dumbness" took me out of the film, and by doing that I stopped being engaged and fully focused on the film which made the "dumb" even easier to notice, which then took me even further away from enjoyment as I couldn't just enjoy the film when I'm going "what idiot wrote this" every-time an unrealistic event occurred. The lack of "Alien" or the focus on The Engineers (two common complaints) never concerned me, I looked forward to learning more TBH to see if they matched the comics I have somewhere in a loft.

* = clever people doing silly things they would never, ever do just because they couldn't invent a better "in character/lore/realistic" way to advance the plot instead.

Last edited:
Doesnt seem widely reported so take as rumour , but Alien : Neverland
In Alien: Neverland we are introduced to the characters on Earth set 30 years prior to Ridley Scott’s 1979 Alien film. Characters are caught in a conflict with the beginning of AI intelligence and the competition among developers and users.’

Doesnt seem widely reported so take as rumour , but Alien : Neverland

As much as I'd like more Alien content, I'm not sure if a TV show is really going to work. Particularly one on Earth before Alien and how do you get an Alien into that story line?

A short 6 to 8 part mini series of the fall of Hadley's Hope would probably be a safer bet.

Prometheus got the whole look wrong. Everything was all glossy and high-tech yet set before then events of Alien \ Aliens.

Whenever I raise this people say yeah, but the Prometheus was funded by a billionaire so they could afford the best etc. Which is a ridiculous argument, compare the best and most expensive smartphone of 2006 with a budget one from 2022...

Consistent world building has become a lost art. I'd say Rogue One is about the only prequel that has come close to consistency but even then the modern direction style and CGI was jarring.

Prequels suck and sequels are almost always derivative.

In short, leave Alien alone.

Last edited:
There's nothing 'alien' about that synopsis?
If that's accurate it's like pitching "Jaws: Neverland" and having it be about how to run a supermarket in Luton. There's as much xenomorph in that A:N synopsis as shark in mine.
What a ridiculous idea.

EddScott's hypothetical "Fall of Hadley's Hope" is something I'd be eager for, though.

There's nothing 'alien' about that synopsis?

Yeap and thats a worry. Even within the whole synopsis, to me at least, it shows that the writers seem more concerned about modern day issues such as their job being taken by AI, rather than understanding that the actual Alien canon holds that AI was a well used, well respected aspect of future life and it was only when a few 'evil' humans deliberately changed the AI within a few specific individuals (Ash for example) that things went wrong.

The rest of the synopsis is this -

“It’s the story of humanity trapped between its primordial parasitic past and its AI future, and they’re both trying to kill us. So, there’s nowhere to go. It’s really a story of does humanity deserve to survive? Does humanity’s arrogance in thinking that we’re no longer food and its arrogance in creating these AI beings who we think will do what we tell them – but ultimately might lose their mind – is there a way out?

Which shows that the writers believe AI is equally the bad guy here, and I don't think that'll fly with Alien fans. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Prometheus got the whole look wrong. Everything was all glossy and high-tech yet set before then events of Alien \ Aliens.
Prometheus was basically showing the tech that the top people got.
IIRC it was mentioned for example that the "autodoc" was a one of a kind prototype that on it's own cost billions, by around the time of Aliens Resurrection there is a story (Alien: Sea of Sorrows) where it is mentioned that a mining colony has one of the autodocs but it's only for extreme emergencies because of the cost.

Imagine walking into say the offices and personal megayacht of a billionaire investment broker/businessman who happens to own an airline, oil and mining companies, now imagine walking into the accommodation and working areas on a coal mine he owns in some third world country.
Or say the personal jet of the owner of an airline compared to the the 30 year olds ones that they have in use for the budget short journey arm of their airline where they can get away with stuff that barely meets the minimum standards and can fill the aircraft to maximum allowed design capacity because the passengers are only going to be on it for an hour or two at a time (the owners jet might have a design capacity of 200+ but only 20 seats, whilst the same version in his regional company might have 180+).

As I said earlier in the thread, it ties in completely with how WY run things, the top execs at "home base" get the lovely new stuff and have a staff just to polish stuff and clean it properly when someone leaves a smudge on a surface.
Meanwhile the actual staff doing the work at the offices get budget gear that is used till it needs replacing, and the people actually out doing the dirty jobs such as hauling raw materials around are lucky if the company will authorise a repair for a vital system before they're running on the backup, let alone have enough staff to keep the equipment looking clean.

Another way to look at it is it's like the Red Arrows/Blue Angels display teams, they are RAF/USAF, but the care and attention their equipment gets tends to be on another level compared to what the normal units get, with everything polished and maintained to well above 100% of normal operational standard.
IIRC the Blue Angels for example apparently have/had a team who go and look at the aircraft of the type they are currently using and can/will requisition the best examples from any other unit and then refurbish them/fully clean them up including things like a complete removal of all existing paint before they're given the colour scheme of the unit and will get the paint touched up/redone whenever it gets damaged, as opposed to when it absolutely has to be done or during a major refit.

In real life you can also see this to a degree with the Space Station, it's expensive to get stuff up to it, and they need what they do take to it to last, so it's nowhere near as nice and shiny as say the officers of Boeing or the companies that make stuff for it or even a new commercial aircraft, instead it's made of materials that were chosen because they're durable, known to be suitable, long lasting, and won't get replaced until they have to be.

I agree with @ianh (for once)

Prometheus was total bilge and I felt exactly the same watching it at the cinema with my friends. Just completely mind bogglingly stupid decisions being made throughout.

No doubt if it was released now it would be called woke garbage on the forum, but it's just poorly written (like a lot of things)

Last edited:
I'm not against stories set in the same universe which aren't about aliens if they are good, but sounds like it is riding on current AI trends which as above don't fit the universe.

While tenuous Firefly is kind of semi-officially the same universe (Weyland-Yutani exists as a largely defunct corporation in it) and even more loosely Bladerunner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom