Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Just a quick post having been using the AW2725DF for most of the day.

I am extremely impressed with the monitor, both the design and the image quality. I honestly haven't seen colours 'pop' as much as they do on this display. It's kind of like my previous ASUS PG279Q IPS display minus the IPS glow but with Digital Vibrancy set to 75% in the NVIDIA Control Panel... but really it's just fantastic. I did initially try the monitor during the day, albeit with the blinds shut and one curtain closed and I could see the slight purple tinge on the screen, it's was very slight though, but the colours and image still looked fine when using it. The screen is very reflective though, I kept seeing the lighter parts of the window and my silhouette whenever a game displayed a dark screen, obviously not an issue at night (like now) but definitely something I noticed more than on my previous monitor which has a matte screen coating.

I am not sure what the best settings are for this monitor: I basically left it on Standard and enabled SmartHDR > HDR Peak 1000 or whatever it's called. I also enabled HDR in Windows, set the taskbar to auto-hide (which sometimes bugs out and shows a thin single pixel high line at the bottom of the screen for some games... I thought this was a fault until I re-enabled the taskbar and saw that the line disappeared. Doesn't happen all the time, thankfully, so I have left the taskbar on auto-hide). I've also set the Windows power plan to turn the screen off after one minute which doesn't kick in when watching a YouTube video for example.

HDR looks stunning on this monitor. It really blew me away along with the colours. I can honestly say that this puts me 55" 2019 LG B9 OLED TV to shame when it comes to HDR 'pop'. Tested out about a dozen games, including Tekken 8, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, GRID Legends, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Hearts III and EA's WRC (the latter of which is finally patched to fix the uber-annoying stuttering!). Very impressive.

As for the text clarity: surprisingly I find it perfectly fine and about the same as my PG279Q from the normal viewing distance as I am typing this.

Biggest gripe so far in a list of positives though is the annoying flickering I see while using HDR in games. The flickering is even visible on the dark background I have for the desktop, it flickers as I move the move pointer around, and was especially irritating while playing Tekken 8 as it uses a lot of dark loading screens and backgrounds. This issue isn't noticeable while actually playing games, so isn't a complete game-breaker for me, but it is easy to see on static backgrounds and loading screens. Not sure if there is any way to address this as it was not something I ever saw on the IPS panel. I have read that this is an issue inherent with OLED screens and have seen this in a few PS5 games while playing them at 120 Hz on my LG B9.

So almost a perfect screen then if it wasn't for the HDR flickering. Anyone know any tips to mitigate or eliminate this?

Oh and before I forget, the monitor is G-SYNC compatible but the control panel just states that it is not certified. Assuming the HDR flickering isn't related to G-SYNC then it seems to work exactly the same as the hardware G-SYNC on the PG279Q. Would be nice to see NVIDIA certify this at some point though.

Last edited:
P.S. The monitor defaulted to 60 Hz for me and I had to manually set it to 360 Hz in Windows. I also downloaded and installed the AW2725DF monitor driver from the Dell website.

The monitor is using the latest firmware (ending in 102) so didn't need to be updated even though I had downloaded it just in case.

360 Hz is certainly very smooth in games and I did play a few games with uncapped framerates and saw them go from the previous maximum of 164 fps on my 165 Hz display to as high as 290 fps at 360 Hz! No tearing obviously as G-SYNC was enabled. Having this refresh rate is very useful for DLSS3 frame generation in my opinion as some games would run at a max of 158 fps with frame gen on my old display but were limited by the 165 Hz refresh rate. Now the framerate can go higher which both improves perceived motion smoothness and reduces the latency. All nice things to have!

@Darren1967 The flickering is VRR flicker, some are worse then others and sometimes its worse in certain games, you kinda get used to it and long as you don't go looking for it shouldn't be a issue

Yeah QD OLED blows WOLED away, some say it looks un-natural or inaccurate which isn't true, but even if it was I'd rather have a 95% accurate display for gaming and have it look and pop like it does (especially in HDR) then have a WOLED any longer

Also interesting to see a fellow East Yorkshire guy here, never noticed before

Last edited:
@Darren1967 The flickering is VRR flicker, some are worse then others and sometimes its worse in certain games, you kinda get used to it and long as you don't go looking for it shouldn't be a issue

Yeah QD OLED blows WOLED away, some say it looks un-natural or inaccurate which isn't true, but even if it was I'd rather have a 95% accurate display for gaming and have it look and pop like it does (especially in HDR) then have a WOLED any longer

Also interesting to see a fellow East Yorkshire guy here, never noticed before

I've personally never had VRR flicker in desktop use, I've never noticed that on my C2, only in certain games/loading screens. @Darren1967 have you tried lowering the refresh on the monitor itself, try dropping to 240hz see if that helps.

Last edited:
Got my AW2725DF. Not sure about it yet. At first I was a bit mehhh but it's growing on me. Missing the ultrawide (AW3423DW) a bit tbh. Will keep testing :D the FPS mode setting seems better to me tho ... i.e. On my AW3423DW it feels way to warm(yellow). AW3423DW is spot on and punchy.

*Came running the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Got my AW2725DF. Not sure about it yet. At first I was a bit mehhh but it's growing on me. Missing the ultrawide (AW3423DW) a bit tbh. Will keep testing :D the FPS mode setting seems better to me tho ... i.e. On my AW3423DW it feels way to warm(yellow). AW3423DW is spot on and punchy.

*Came running the latest firmware.
27 would feel like a downgrade to me, I would only consider 32 if coming from 34.

Got my 27" set up yesterday. Very happy with it so far. Cant hear the fan and no issues with raised black or reflections etc in my set up. Picture quality is awesome, especially when compared it to my nearly 10 years old Benq XL2730Z that its replaced. Not played around with the settings too much but, still trying to figure out what does what and what looks best to me. Standard mode straight out of the box looked pretty good but a little too bright for me. Currently using Creator mode with sRGB colour space, brightness at 50% and contrast 75%.

What settings are you guys running? Im sure it can look better if I play around more. Also would settings for the 32" model be ok for the 27"? I imagine they would be as they use the same panel just different size and resolution

Got my 27" set up yesterday. Very happy with it so far. Cant hear the fan and no issues with raised black or reflections etc in my set up. Picture quality is awesome, especially when compared it to my nearly 10 years old Benq XL2730Z that its replaced. Not played around with the settings too much but, still trying to figure out what does what and what looks best to me. Standard mode straight out of the box looked pretty good but a little too bright for me. Currently using Creator mode with sRGB colour space, brightness at 50% and contrast 75%.

What settings are you guys running? Im sure it can look better if I play around more. Also would settings for the 32" model be ok for the 27"? I imagine they would be as they use the same panel just different size and resolution

Creator mode sRGB would be the best for SDR and general content.

I know it's a new display with more tech to mitigate burns and retention, but if anyone is rocking 75% Brightness, you should make a note to check your display with a grey background (use Windows Photo viewer and look at a small image, the rest of the screen enlarged to fill will be what you need) and see if there are any obvious burn/retention marks from any white borders or menus, etc from Windows or other OS that you might leave on for a while. If so, suggest you change those colours to something like Storm Grey, and/or reduce the Brightness level down. This is especially true if you use HDR as well.

Definately looks the most natural to me with my limited testing. With my previous monitors I've generally just copied the calibrated settings that have been used in TFT Central reviews. So eagerly awaiting their review of the AW2725DF
If the 32" rtings review is anything to go by then you probably won't need to calibrate. Creator mode sRGB was pretty much perfect.

I know it's a new display with more tech to mitigate burns and retention, but if anyone is rocking 75% Brightness, you should make a note to check your display with a grey background (use Windows Photo viewer and look at a small image, the rest of the screen enlarged to fill will be what you need) and see if there are any obvious burn/retention marks from any white borders or menus, etc from Windows or other OS that you might leave on for a while. If so, suggest you change those colours to something like Storm Grey, and/or reduce the Brightness level down. This is especially true if you use HDR as well.
Im using 50% brighness which is about 120 nits i believe. 75% was too bright imo

Back
Top Bottom