Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
32in hath arrived...

Also guys note that the UPS timeslot is a rough guide, mine came 835am and was given a 10am-1pm slot! Thank the Lord though, another 5 mins I would have been out with the dog!!

Haha, yeah mine arrived at 9:05 or so, wasn't expecting that! Nor was I expecting how the huge the box would be!!! Now I need to try focus on work till lunch time :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
I love the clarity of oled now, fantastic.

You know what brings a huge grin to my face when I boot up my PC on the AW2725DF? It's seeing those perfect blacks on the boot up screen that means I can't even tell that Windows is loading until the blue Windows flag appears. And when I shut down there's that perfectly crisp white Shutting down... message with no blooming or IPS glow. It's just a joy to see. And, yes, that probably sounds a bit sad but for me it shows just how impressive this monitor is from the moment you turn you PC on to the moment you shut it off.

I have noticed that this monitor likes to run the pixel refresher every 4 hours of use which takes around 6 minutes. I have started to get into the habit of turning the screen off on the desktop (if I do it in games that it causes them to crash) when I leave the room so as not to leave a static image onscreen for too long. In doing this, especially over the weekend where I was using my PC for 10-12 hours a day, I was finding that the pixel refresher would kick in when I turned the screen off when just nipping to the loo or downstairs to collect the post and then having to wait for it to finish before turning the screen back on.

The monitor indicates it is doing the pixel refresher by blinking the Power button green. It's good that it does that but my understanding is that most other monitors and TVs, including my own LG B9 OLED TV, do this after 8 hours of use so I am surprised that this does it every 4 hours. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the time interval between pixel refreshes on this monitor but then this monitor lacks options to enable/disable logo detection and pixel shifting, which I have on my B9. Thankfully, I haven't noticed any pixel shifting personally so I am not even sure how often this occurs but I have noticed that this screen doesn't leave the same shadowy boxes around logos and HUD elements that fade after a couple of seconds like my B9 does (I assume this is the logo detection doing its thing?).

TFTCentral have their review up of the 27" QD-OLED, you have to be a Patreon support, and posted the settings they used. I have now settled on using the same Custom Colour profile as them with Dark Stabiliser set to 1 (they used 2 and claimed it doesn't affect blacks levels) with their ICC profile and HDR Peak 1000 for HDR, using my calibration saved using the Windows HDR Tool (available from the Windows Store via the link in HDR Settings). Custom Colour looks really good to my eyes using 75% Brightness and 75% Contract (TFTCentral used 46% Brightness for their calibration). I noticed that the whites in the browser actually looked bright white as opposed to slightly off yellow/warmer as with the Game1 profile I had been using. I was playing Banisher: Ghosts of New Eden on these settings (SDR only since the game doesn't support HDR) and it looks fantastic, especially as it is a moody game with lots of dark areas and grey fog etc etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the lg 27 oled and wondering if this is worth the upgrade. Can sell my lg on a popular auction site to offset the cost

120 extra hz

Issue I have with current lg monitor is brightness

Do you have the monitor in a really bright room?
The reason I ask is that I'm using the 32" with brightness at about 42% (which I find plenty bright), and that's in a room with two big windows off to the right of my desk.

Soldato
Sorry guys I've been too busy playing BF1 hahah, I'll get it done today

@Darren1967 Honestly I'd just set windows to turn of display after like 1-2min, also I wouldn't worry about leaving something on screen for couple minutes, I mean on my CX I played WoW everyday on it for months doing M+, so for most part everyday for couple hours or so it'd have mostly static UI on screen and never had a issue

Associate

@Darren1967 Honestly I'd just set windows to turn of display after like 1-2min, also I wouldn't worry about leaving something on screen for couple minutes, I mean on my CX I played WoW everyday on it for months doing M+, so for most part everyday for couple hours or so it'd have mostly static UI on screen and never had a issue
Remember, it does also have a 3 year warranty. :)

Soldato
I have the lg 27 oled and wondering if this is worth the upgrade. Can sell my lg on a popular auction site to offset the cost

120 extra hz

Issue I have with current lg monitor is brightness
I’d wait for the new LG models with the new pixel layout and higher brightness.

The new qd ASUS isn’t much brighter than the older woled, which is only slightly brighter than your LG.

Caporegime
Pics pics pics
image.png

Going on an arm soon so that will sort the mat out, also going for a G915 TKL + 502x combo.

image.png

Should look nice :)

Associate
I’d wait for the new LG models with the new pixel layout and higher brightness.

The new qd ASUS isn’t much brighter than the older woled, which is only slightly brighter than your LG.
Is there an ETA for them?

Edit : just seen this. Only see 32 inch plus models? Bit too big for me

Last edited:
Associate

@Darren1967 Honestly I'd just set windows to turn of display after like 1-2min, also I wouldn't worry about leaving something on screen for couple minutes, I mean on my CX I played WoW everyday on it for months doing M+, so for most part everyday for couple hours or so it'd have mostly static UI on screen and never had a issue.

Yes, I've not noticed any burn-in on my 2019 LG B9 OLED TV either but that is used only for games, streaming and disc playback. When not in use, I turn off the TV.

The difference with a PC is that I generally leave it on when I am at home so I can use it when I want to and just shut it down when I go to bed and when I go to work. I use Stardock Fences, so the desktop icons auto-hide after 10 seconds, and the taskbar also auto-hides. Desktop backgrounds are also set to change every 30 minutes (I did have it set to 10 minutes but I was concerned it might cause stuttering in games).

I just don't trust Windows to always turn off the screen when it isn't in use - a random background task or even having an application such as Steam open but minimised in the taskbar can prevent the screensaver from kicking in or the monitor going into standby. I've seen this happen at least twice in the last week and a bit since getting the monitor.

This is why I have just started to turn off the screen when I am away from my PC. It's reliable and the screen would not come back on even if my PC crashed and restarted. It also does not prevent the pixel refresher from running since it will automatically run (green flashing power light) with the screen off before the monitor actually turns off completely. I admit that I am probably just being a bit overcautious because the monitor is new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom