Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
The best 'bright' whites in my experience with this monitor using the 75% Brightness / 75% Contrast settings are with Creator > DCI-P3 with Gamma set to 2.2 and the Custom Colour profile as previously stated. The other profiles all look warmer/yellowish to me but this is probably more realistic since my TV is set to use the Warm colour presets for movies and so on. For games and desktop use though I actually prefer more vibrant colours that make the image "pop" more.

I was playing Assassin's Creed: Mirage yesterday for the first time with HDR enabled - HDR Peak 1000 - and I was shocked at how bright the whites were on the text and how vivid the fire and light sources looked in the game. It was really impressive, especially as the rest of the colour palette was quite subdued and dull, being a desert setting. This is the kind of contrast that I just never saw on my previous IPS monitor despite years of tinkering with the settings. I am not exaggerating when I say that it feels like I am seeing all the games I've played properly for the first time and as the developers intended them to be viewed.

The only issue I have with HDR and why I haven't left it enabled all the time in Windows is that when I exit a game the desktop colours are very muted and dull. Turn off HDR and the whole image brightens and the colours become more pleasing. I get that no-one wants bright HDR highlights on their desktop but I feel this monitor takes it too far and makes the picture look horrible. As such I am stuck with manually enabling and disabling HDR for now which is disappointing coming from the PS5 and Xbox Series X were HDR is completely automatic.
Welcome to HDR gaming on PC.
I always toggle it on and off when I'm gaming/not gaming.

It's a pain, but I'm more than used to it now as I've had HDR OLED screens for a while.

Soldato
Another question if someone could assist! Got my alienware connected to PC via DP port, PS5 via HDMI. I want to add some speakers (no headphone jack on this screen) so what would work with this for PC sound and PS5? Can't seem to find any info on it for this monitor so for now I'm using my Astro A50X's. Anyone using both with some speakers on this screen?

Soldato
The best 'bright' whites in my experience with this monitor using the 75% Brightness / 75% Contrast settings are with Creator > DCI-P3 with Gamma set to 2.2 and the Custom Colour profile as previously stated. The other profiles all look warmer/yellowish to me but this is probably more realistic since my TV is set to use the Warm colour presets for movies and so on. For games and desktop use though I actually prefer more vibrant colours that make the image "pop" more.

I was playing Assassin's Creed: Mirage yesterday for the first time with HDR enabled - HDR Peak 1000 - and I was shocked at how bright the whites were on the text and how vivid the fire and light sources looked in the game. It was really impressive, especially as the rest of the colour palette was quite subdued and dull, being a desert setting. This is the kind of contrast that I just never saw on my previous IPS monitor despite years of tinkering with the settings. I am not exaggerating when I say that it feels like I am seeing all the games I've played properly for the first time and as the developers intended them to be viewed.

The only issue I have with HDR and why I haven't left it enabled all the time in Windows is that when I exit a game the desktop colours are very muted and dull. Turn off HDR and the whole image brightens and the colours become more pleasing. I get that no-one wants bright HDR highlights on their desktop but I feel this monitor takes it too far and makes the picture look horrible. As such I am stuck with manually enabling and disabling HDR for now which is disappointing coming from the PS5 and Xbox Series X were HDR is completely automatic.

With DCI-P3 gamma should be at 2.4 or 2.6 for accurate P3 representation (this is according to the calibration sheet that comes with the monitor).
I've set mine to 2.4 because I feel 2.6 crushes some blacks

Also, if you want your desktop to look nice in HDR you need to go to HDR settings in windows and adjust the desktop slider, you can make it look really nice but I'm just sticking to SDR on the desktop because I fear burn-in too much.

Associate
Just managed to get my 32" setup and I'm impressed! My last monitor was the AW 38 ultra-wide so I was worried I would miss the aspect ratio but this thing feels spot on. Colours look amazing, not had chance to play around with it much yet but out of the box looks awesome.

I did have a few marks from the bubble wrap - I've cleaned them off mostly, they are still there but you can't see them unless you're looking for them and when the screens on they can't be seen at all.

I also only have an EU plug, lucky I have a few traveller adapters but I will get onto Dell to send me out a UK one.

Associate
With DCI-P3 gamma should be at 2.4 or 2.6 for accurate P3 representation (this is according to the calibration sheet that comes with the monitor).
I've set mine to 2.4 because I feel 2.6 crushes some blacks

Also, if you want your desktop to look nice in HDR you need to go to HDR settings in windows and adjust the desktop slider, you can make it look really nice but I'm just sticking to SDR on the desktop because I fear burn-in too much.
Is there any point playing around with HDR settings yet due to the DV bug? I know people have said using HDR400 True Black will limit how much DV affects it... But with HDR1000, there's no point since DV caps the nits at lower than half that? I could be wrong with these points so please correct me if i'm wrong

Associate

Thanks for the extra info, I'll give it try to get the colours just how I like it - Though I wish there was just one hassle free setting/profile to go with! I haven't played too much with the HDR yet just cause the DV bug, wanted to wait for that to be sorted out first.

Soldato
Is there any point playing around with HDR settings yet due to the DV bug? I know people have said using HDR400 True Black will limit how much DV affects it... But with HDR1000, there's no point since DV caps the nits at lower than half that? I could be wrong with these points so please correct me if i'm wrong

The HDR options gray out on the OSD and only the DV options are available when DV is active so I don't think it makes any difference which HDR option you select because it deactivates and is replaced by DV anyway.

I've selected HDR1000 just in case DV doesn't activate, but the problem is you cannot calibrate it with the HDR calibration tool because the HDR calibration tool activates DV, so you're only calibrating the DV HDR not the HDR1000 setting.
I can't wait for the firmware to disable DV and I can't believe they released it thinking it would be ok

Back
Top Bottom