Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

I looked into that, so to get DLDSR working you need to disable DSC, which limits the refresh rate at 4K and obviously colour bandwidth. Not that DLDSR is needed when the native res is 4K anyway to be fair. I'll be running everything at 4K DLSS Performance for the best image vs framerate, as per Alex @ DF.

Last edited:
21.9 is the master race so no chance :p ;) :D

If you going to go ultrawide, do it right and go 32:9. As shown by the video above, not exactly much difference between 16:9 and 21:9 ;)

I like both as you know. But not bothered which I have. Would not let it get in the way of anything.

32:9 is too much, most games look super distorted after the central part of the screen, look at the screenshots thread when someone posts a 32:9 screenshot or any gameplay video of 32:9 - 21:9 is and will always be the max aspect for me for gaming as that feels like the right balance of wideness.

32:9 is too much, most games look super distorted after the central part of the screen, look at the screenshots thread when someone posts a 32:9 screenshot or any gameplay video of 32:9 - 21:9 is and will always be the max aspect for me for gaming as that feels like the right balance of wideness.

Fair enough. Not really looked into it. Was just said to pull nexus's leg :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: mrk
Yup 32.9 is a no go. 21.9 is perfect aspect ratio for me. 16.9 just feels so squashed horizontally now especially if you're playing games which don't allow you to adjust fov.

Don't get me wrong, love gaming on my 55" 4k oled but that's largely because it's massive :p Although games definitely don't feel as cinematic even then.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Yup 32.9 is a no go. 21.9 is perfect aspect ratio for me. 16.9 just feels so squashed horizontally now especially if you're playing games which don't allow you to adjust fov.

Don't get me wrong, love gaming on my 55" 4k oled but that's largely because it's massive :p Although games definitely don't feel as cinematic even then.

If someone gave you a free upgrade to a 32" 4K Alienware you would take it and soon change your tune :p

In all seriousness, it's the update to 3rd gen qd-oled that appeals to me the most, it's apparently a noticeable upgrade overall to 1st gen.

Also, will be interesting to see if mrk notices vrr flicker more with the aw32, maybe not much of an issue when powered with a 4090 to keep the fps high/at the range where it won't be a problem though but perhaps some differences with gsync module vs no gsync module especailly at the lower fps range.

Vrr flicker test will be the first thing I check as I can replicate it in specific apps or games. I think GSYNC modules hgave more flicker than non module panels too, as I recall the DWF being reported to have less vrr flicker than the DW, and this gen 3 should be better still.

The flicker I noticed before wasn't due to low fps btw, it was only in certain grey shades that dominated the screen in apps like Photoshop or a game menu screen etc.

Last edited:
Vrr flicker test will be the first thing I check as I can replicate it in specific apps or games. I think GSYNC modules hgave more flicker than non module panels too, as I recall the DWF being reported to have less vrr flicker than the DW, and this gen 3 should be better still.

The flicker I noticed before wasn't due to low fps btw, it was only in certain grey shades that dominated the screen in apps like Photoshop or a game menu screen etc.

Where did you read that? It's the complete opposite, pcmonitors.info stated this:

I still have an affinity to the ‘DW’ due to the other benefits I mentioned on the first page of this thread – related to the G-SYNC module (lower VRR flickering, seamless operation throughout VRR range and less ‘micro stuttering’).

And I believe somewhere else mentioned this too but can't recall who it was.

You will probably enouncter lower fps with being at the higher res. now although if using dlss performance, it should probably keep your fps similar to what you are use to. I believe it's only really an issue when your fps drops below 40s and in the dark greyish areas of games.

It was on reddit comments where people who had both said the DWF had less vrr flicker^^

It could well be that the above relates to vrr flicker when teh framerate drops to the lower digits, which is not something I face as games are always running over 100fps - The vrr flicker I see is on desktop apps that don't play ball in certain conditions, like 175Hz whereas are fine at 144Hz, which points to a conflict between the OS, app and GSYNC module, since turning off GSYNC and using 175Hz has no vrr flickr, but then you lose the motion smoothness in games and gain the micro jittering on motion that GSYNC smooths out.

Last edited:
Yup, unless there is evidence or/and said people are well regarded/respected experts in the industry, pinch of salt shall be applied! :D :p

It does come down a lot to how well the adaptive sync has been tuned and the hardware parts used to achieve adaptive sync/VRR though tbf.

I was watching the Linustech review of this and wanted to punch the screen a few times, so you guys will now share this pain:

Can you guess where this guy got his wires all wrong???! Nexis will know instantly :p

Back
Top Bottom