Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

6edeMgK.jpg

4k does tempt me a lot - although I am enjoying 360hz 1440p currently - but the biggest thing that puts me off actually swapping is the 32" size.

Apparently we're getting 27" 4k OLEDs end of this year/early next so potentially if Alienware offer a version that'll tempt me to swap. I also think 240hz is pretty much the sweet spot for refresh rate so I'm not overly fussed by being above that.
I am in the same boat I guess. Have 42 inch C3 on my desk right now and it is simply too big. I ordered FO27Q3 last week and if I like it my next step will be 27 inch 4k 240Hz/360Hz in 2-3 years.

z9bvUeo.jpeg

Ok so set up and running, got to do the HDR calibration profile but will do that shortly.

First impressions are:

1: Dell have changed the VESA mounting adapter size so the one from my DW does not fit this, the new style is wider, even though the 32" is a lighter display and narrower in width.... logical sense was missing the day whoever at Dell decided on that.

2: The updated VESA bracket adapter is NOT included in the box like it is with the DW. Why????

3: My screen had someone's finger marks on the top right corner AFTER I removed the new film protection piece, so this was from the factory:

PNLC9od.jpeg

4: Better CLeartype Tuner is still needed, even though the subpixel is nicer out of the box, it's clear right away that BCT is needed, see this before/after but note that the camera amplifies the before effect:
Ak1RaQl.gif

5: Windows scaling defaults to 150% which I expected anyway but at 150% it feels too big, changing to 125% the text is a little too small, there isn't an in-between here it feels like but something that one would have to get used to. I'm at 125 now and the scaling feels close to native 100% scaling on the 34" ultrawide.

6: The touch sensitive light bar in front of the jog dial is gone. Guess this was a cost cutting exercise, I liked the bar as it served as a subtle desk light and ambience in the dark.

7: The fan noise is basically zero. My PC now makes no noise once again lol.

8: I've enabled 10-bit mode in nvcp and the screen's OSD shows 30-bit which might be a glitch?

9: Creator mode > SRGB > Brightness then set to 42, contrast 66 seems to resemble the colour/luminance of the 34" nicely, contrast seems better this time round though but I left gamma at 2.2 as that seems to match the 34" whereas the 34" needed gamma set to 2.4 to be properly accurate which was known anyway way back from the HDTVtest initial review findings.

10: HDR mode I've set to Peak 1000, Windows HDR as always is off until I'm playing or watching HDR stuff.

11: Even on the desktop just moving the mouse cursor around it's obvious there is a difference with 240Hz vs 144 and 175Hz. It's just snappier/quicker if that makes sense. Wasn't expecting that!

12: Switching over to HDR from SDR still takes the same amount of time as the 34", hoped this would be a little quicker as it can get slightly tedious.

13: Played some gaming, Cyberpunk runs great still, at 4K you can use DLSS Performance and at 3440x1440 I was getting around 130fps with those same settings, on 3840x2160 it's rather good! - Played some Horizon too for a bit and seems fine, the lack of ultrawide is obvious after so many years but I think I could get used to this again.

12:Watching 16:9 content is a better experience because of the taller screen height and filling the whole 32" rather than the shorter height and central scaling on a 34" ultrawide.

13: My multitasking is slightly more constructed now due to the lack of ultrawide, more vertical obviously but because of the 150% scaling, things are a little bigger, though still usable:

qdI6zry.jpeg

On the 34" I can have the left pane expanded whereas now I have to collapse it and only show on hover to get the same image view width.

The silence is way more obvious now, I think this alone will likely make me keep this rather than return lol.

I still give you a week before you're back to 34" ;) :p :D

It does look good though. I could never understand why you and others couldn't see the difference with 175hz, to me it is immediately obvious and I can only imagine how much better 240hz is. OLED allows higher refresh rate to really shine.

z9bvUeo.jpeg

Ok so set up and running, got to do the HDR calibration profile but will do that shortly.

First impressions are:

1: Dell have changed the VESA mounting adapter size so the one from my DW does not fit this, the new style is wider, even though the 32" is a lighter display and narrower in width.... logical sense was missing the day whoever at Dell decided on that.

2: The updated VESA bracket adapter is NOT included in the box like it is with the DW. Why????

3: My screen had someone's finger marks on the top right corner AFTER I removed the new film protection piece, so this was from the factory:

PNLC9od.jpeg

4: Better CLeartype Tuner is still needed, even though the subpixel is nicer out of the box, it's clear right away that BCT is needed, see this before/after but note that the camera amplifies the before effect:
Ak1RaQl.gif

5: Windows scaling defaults to 150% which I expected anyway but at 150% it feels too big, changing to 125% the text is a little too small, there isn't an in-between here it feels like but something that one would have to get used to. I'm at 125 now and the scaling feels close to native 100% scaling on the 34" ultrawide.

6: The touch sensitive light bar in front of the jog dial is gone. Guess this was a cost cutting exercise, I liked the bar as it served as a subtle desk light and ambience in the dark.

7: The fan noise is basically zero. My PC now makes no noise once again lol.

8: I've enabled 10-bit mode in nvcp and the screen's OSD shows 30-bit which might be a glitch?

9: Creator mode > SRGB > Brightness then set to 42, contrast 66 seems to resemble the colour/luminance of the 34" nicely, contrast seems better this time round though but I left gamma at 2.2 as that seems to match the 34" whereas the 34" needed gamma set to 2.4 to be properly accurate which was known anyway way back from the HDTVtest initial review findings.

10: HDR mode I've set to Peak 1000, Windows HDR as always is off until I'm playing or watching HDR stuff.

11: Even on the desktop just moving the mouse cursor around it's obvious there is a difference with 240Hz vs 144 and 175Hz. It's just snappier/quicker if that makes sense. Wasn't expecting that!

12: Switching over to HDR from SDR still takes the same amount of time as the 34", hoped this would be a little quicker as it can get slightly tedious.

13: Played some gaming, Cyberpunk runs great still, at 4K you can use DLSS Performance and at 3440x1440 I was getting around 130fps with those same settings, on 3840x2160 it's rather good! - Played some Horizon too for a bit and seems fine, the lack of ultrawide is obvious after so many years but I think I could get used to this again.

12:Watching 16:9 content is a better experience because of the taller screen height and filling the whole 32" rather than the shorter height and central scaling on a 34" ultrawide.

13: My multitasking is slightly more constructed now due to the lack of ultrawide, more vertical obviously but because of the 150% scaling, things are a little bigger, though still usable:

qdI6zry.jpeg

On the 34" I can have the left pane expanded whereas now I have to collapse it and only show on hover to get the same image view width.

The silence is way more obvious now, I think this alone will likely make me keep this rather than return lol.

Nice write up dude.

How are you finding image quality vs the 34"?

I'm noticing the difference at 240Hz but not at 175Hz vs 144Hz, that gap is rather small in Hz, whereas 240 is quite a big jump even from 175Hz.

Even just on windows, 144hz feels slow and stuttery, specsavers time :p

But yes 240hz and the increased res. will make a bigger more noticeable difference.

How you find native 4k compared to dldsr on the 34"?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
I'm just gonna say it but DLDSR, whilst excellent, native 4K is the crisper picture, although that verdict is a bit unfair as we're going from a 110ppi OLED to a 140ppi (I think?) - So the native 4K was always going to look better in games. On the desktop because Windows is doing scaling, things look no real different other than some stuff being bigger now because of the default Windows scaling.

But in games, in games the native 4K is the real deal, it's just cleaner and sharper than DLDSR 5160x2160 on the 34", and performance is better too because of no driver overhead having to do the DLDSR part to get that res on top.

Last edited:
Yes I've advertised my 34" on marketplace first, I said I have the box but I just checked the shed and it's not there, the stand was in the shed, the 32" stand would have worked if Dell kept the damn fitment size the same!

It might be in the loft so time to whip the ladder out....

Back
Top Bottom