** ALL NEW (WITH RULES) Summer Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I think Manyoo need more than to drop £30m on a player (eg. Hazard), for them to a be ahead of Citeh - I mean, I know Manyoo are favourites for the title, now... but, as it stands, I'd put Citeh above Manyoo in terms of their chances for next year... which is why I can see legitimate ~footballing reasons~ for going to the former. I can see them spending £30m on a player, but are they going to drop close to £100m on a revamp? Or even half that?

We need more than one player, I agree. 60-80m on the right people could provide a considerably stronger squad for next season, and we'll have Vidic back.

I mean this season we've potentially won the league missing our best defender (and probably best central defender in the league).

As for chances next year, even if City sign a few superstars, that doesn't mean they'll magically all perform well (same could apply to Utd) given the more questionable management.

That's a touch optimistic. If they keep up the level of investment it will be tough for us to stay ahead. The only reason we stayed ahead of Chelsea is they stopped buying really.

Indeed, but those new regulations should limit that whenever they come into place. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully a few bored billionaires will buy the club! :p

Man of Honour
Imagine if City just brought in a competent manager though, then we would be ****ed :(

Indeed, I'm not sure if they'll keep Mancini much longer and if not, they'll be in another period of transition which could unsettle them as well.

Caporegime
Well yeah they might, but they seem a lot more into the long term view than Mr 'I just want to win the Champions League' Abramovich. We'll see I guess, who knows we might get a money bags at some point.

Man of Honour
Is there £80m available? I'm dubious.

I mean that I think it's hard to rely on Scholes and Giggs, again, so the squad will arguably suffer with having to do so again... whilst there's no one at Citeh who's pensionable, so they won't suffer the same problem (the squad'll stay the same, no one's liable to decline loads).

Vidic is coming back, but how will he be after such a bad injury? Long term effects of that? And Rio's getting no younger (although he seems to have been less injury prone, this season - that's an impression, I can't remember properly/haven't looked up stats - but will that carry through?).

NB. I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom at Manyoo, or writing them off... this just stemmed from someone saying that a decent player would pick Manyoo over Citeh, if it was based on footballing reasons, which I don't think is true!

It's all speculation at the moment (from any angle) so we'll have to wait and see.

We really have got to improve the squad a bit though, if not then we're in trouble.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I mean that I think it's hard to rely on Scholes and Giggs, again, so the squad will arguably suffer with having to do so again... whilst there's no one at Citeh who's pensionable, so they won't suffer the same problem (the squad'll stay the same, no one's liable to decline loads).

Vidic is coming back, but how will he be after such a bad injury? Long term effects of that? And Rio's getting no younger (although he seems to have been less injury prone, this season - that's an impression, I can't remember properly/haven't looked up stats - but will that carry through?).

NB. I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom at Manyoo, or writing them off... this just stemmed from someone saying that a decent player would pick Manyoo over Citeh, if it was based on footballing reasons, which I don't think is true!

(Puts liverpool hat on)

Its all about the history of the club.

Soldato

To be fair Utd should have £30m or so from EPL & TV rights etc plus if they are lucky £10m from player sales (Berba, PIG and possibly a couple of others)

Given the current marketing operation, its not unfeasable for that kind of cash to be available , although imo the failure / delayed Singapore partial float has possibly caused less spending than what was hoped for by Fergie

Can anyone at all see Hazard and Gaitan arriving? Surely its one or the other... (havent seen much of either, but Hazard is prefered just - given he might cost a bit more)
We really have got to improve the squad a bit though, if not then we're in trouble.

Completely agree - which in one sense is why I wasnt as happy as normal when Scholes came back (as his skill is hiding how bad the squad, esp midfield, actually is)

I think Manyoo need more than to drop £30m on a player (eg. Hazard), for them to a be ahead of Citeh - I mean, I know Manyoo are favourites for the title, now... but, as it stands, I'd put Citeh above Manyoo in terms of their chances for next year... which is why I can see legitimate ~footballing reasons~ for going to the former. I can see them spending £30m on a player, but are they going to drop close to £100m on a revamp? Or even half that?

you might have a point however....

1) everything in relation to City is "might", they havent actually done very much - SAF and Utd have been there, done that and got the tshirt multiple times

2) While it may not be for long, ....no one knows who is going to be Managing City next season, and with that their likes and dislikes - at least Utd are stable in this fashion, and SAF will be given as much time as he needs (which in turn takes pressure off new signings).

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The future's speculation, which is why I'm basing what I'm saying on the status quo/what we have ;).

I think its too hard to say. Man City have just as much pulling power as United in most areas and much more in certain ones. The only thing that might cause City problems is the FFP rules and the perception of the discipline in the squad. I would have reservations about a club that has allowed Balotelli and Tevez and various other players to act up so much and still be played.

Soldato
I see the annual "Arsenal need to spend big on some players to win trophies" line is being brought out already (Sol Campbell) :p

Whilst it's undoubtedly true and has been for the last decade or so I think it's a year or two off yet before their business model (and Wenger ofc) allows them to truly splash out.

Caporegime
I see the annual "Arsenal need to spend big on some players to win trophies" line is being brought out already (Sol Campbell) :p

Whilst it's undoubtedly true and has been for the last decade or so I think it's a year or two off yet before their business model (and Wenger ofc) allows them to truly splash out.

Again with this, Arsenal have, as said above, 100mil + in the bank, they make a profit every year, and the stadium has never for a single season prevented increased spending. It is MANAGED debt that was designed to never impinge on the clubs finances, the increase in profit from the stadium has always meant at every stage higher financial muscle than we ever had at Highbury.

Secondly, we are spending 50mil more every season on wages than at Highbury, AND making a profit. As per usual, my standard reply is, if we weren't paying most likely part of Bendtners wages, maybe Vela's, Diaby, Squillaci, Benny's(what a ridiculous epic fail of a transfer, 60-70k a week most likely for a guy who has been fit but too poor to play more than a handful of games), Chamakh, Gervinho, etc, etc, etc, we'd have another 20+ mil to spend every year.

We'll always be at a financial disadvantage while Wenger insists on buying players who will so obviously not play a part, and continuing to keep the likes of Diaby on the books on high wages for no reason what so ever.

if we offloaded Chamakh, Mertesacker and Gervinho, we could buy Erikson and a CB, save money overall on wages, and probably only cost 10-15mil total... leaving over 100mil in the bank. To say we can't afford to compete is madness. Our spending has been incredibly poor lately.

I mean, had we gotten Arfa a couple years ago for a bargain, we'd never have wasted 12 mil on Gervinho, he'd be on lower wages than Gervinho, and if we wanted this season or maybe another season or two we could probably sell him for 20-30mil depending on how good he gets and net a total profit when we sell. Gervinho, is sucking wages, playing awfully, and when we sell him it WILL be for a loss.

Transfers don't have to cost anything if you buy the right players rather than panic and buy the wrong players. Gervinho, can't understand how he could ever have looked even marginally good before we bought him. Anyone can fluke a great goal scoring season, we've seen it time and time again, no one generally speaking fakes actual good football.

Last edited:
Associate
Most of that will rely not on transfer funds, but offloading players, people WILL want Vela and Bendtner and it looks like they'll probably go really cheap(had we played either properly we could either be playing them or selling them for a real fee). But Squillaci and Chamakh, Gervinho and Mertesacker could be really difficult to offload due to wages. Chamakh seems disinterested in leaving despite a couple clubs wanting him because, well, he's on a stupid wage.

....we're just throwing money away, Squillaci, Djourou, Mertesacker. Koscielny and Verm are TOP defenders, yet they get made fools of by a poor system, poor full backs and something fundamentally wrong.

Left back who can defend, and sell the glass man(men), and Dos Santos before he's too old to leave and see's out a long contract without playing much. Really we need a top notch left back and a promising younger player as backup before we need a CB, even without fixing the system Gibbs isn't very good, horrific positioning, average at best going forwards and one of the most ridiculously injury prone players we've had.

Noooo not Djourou dont say this please! im crying here :(. He is the most useless player EVER to exist. Totally agree however that there is an underlying error that has yet to be solved. Either we fix it with some good defensive coaching or just plan to try to outscore all matches next season :o

With the left back problem i wouldnt mind seeing Verm pushed out left and place Vertonghen in his position. This would solve the left back issue and also allow Verm to venture slightly more forward into attacking positions to score. He looks like a good player and is calm on the ball.

I cant see the deal going through for both players however as mentioned we need to offload. Would much prefer Eriksen over Hazzard though :) (Remember him scoring that free kick against Scotland :mad:)

Soldato
yadda yadda ya
As far as I recall, the football part of the business (i.e. wages/expenses vs revenue) has been breaking even but fairly flat and any profits to the club have come from a combination of player sales plus the housing sales - my understanding is that Arsenal are going for a truly sustainable club model which I assume means buying players, and setting wage spend based on the footballing revenue alone - hence my comment that it may be a couple of years until not only the business is debt-free but when a couple of the significant sponsorship deals come up for renewal which I would anticipate will lead to significantly more commercial revenue to allow the club to loosen the purse strings long term.

Also I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see at least half a dozen surplus players go which will lighten the wage bill considerably, I would expect Arshavin, Bendtner, Chamakh, Denilson, Almunia (whose contract expires) to all leave maybe a couple others too.

Last edited:
Soldato
We don't need to spend a fortune, we are in about the same position as we have been for 5 years, two great players would make us competitive for the title, those positions have changed in the last few years and now it's a top class CAM and depending on who we sell, maybe a player for the front 3 (which could be Podolski)

Eriksen or Gotze are the dream signings, and I think either would make a big statement, but you can't help but feel it's just a dream

Caporegime
Yeah, for the last couple of years they've made a £5m loss and a £5m profit, I think.

Ish, the thing that again people keep ignoring is this is with 50million extra spending on wages compared to Highbury, IE those figures would be a 55mil or 45mil LOSS with the same wage/transfer/general spending at Highbury.

Wenger CHOOSES to spend that extra money on Diaby sitting on the treatment table for 5 years, Denilson to be rubbish, Chamakh at 80k a week as a temporary replacement who was never good enough, always worse than a 50k a week bendtner and on a wage that means he won't leave because no one will match his wage. He's better off seeing out a couple more years at 80k a week than leaving for any club at 50k a week and a 5mil fee to Arsenal. Because in a while he can sign on a free and use that to again leverage another high wage due to no transfer fee.

I said all this before it happened, when it happened, when he was at his best and now. This was clear as day at every stage, a massive loss of a transfer that was obvious before he was signed. That's basically 4mil a year for 4-5 years, for a player who played half a season that was worthwhile.

Wenger could NOT spend this money on a HUGE youth squad on higher wages than most youth squads earn, and spend money on transfers, but people can't randomly choose to ignore the 50mil extra wage spending when talking about finances due to Emirates building, this is 50mil a year every year while still breaking even Wenger spends. Spurs are spending give or take 40 mil less than us, while(had they not fallen apart like girls) having a squad that is superior.

It's as simple as this, we were making right after the move, some 50-60mil extra revenue, we made a 30mil profit AFTER 30mil loan repayments give or take, that was give or take 30mil better off AFTER all financial obligations due to the Emirates move, that was how the plan was stated before the build was started, and since. It was always planned to leave us better off at every single stage, by a huge margin and then when the stadium was paid off to leave us even better off. Wenger has since increased yearly wage spending from arounc 60mil to 110-115mil, while breaking even, this is where all the money is going and you can see most of that going on players who never contribute to the team, either with Wenger utterly ignoring them(Vela) or being useless (Diaby), or massively injury prone (Diaby).

Lastly, Vermaelen has pretty much gone on record and said, paraphrased, "I hate left back, if I am asked to play their long term I will ask to move to a new club". he is in no way firstly, a great left back, secondly, absolutely does not want to play there, thirdly, is one of our most injury prone players as it is. He's almost been here three years and he's missed around 40% of the games through injury. We need a rock solid, not injury prone, no sign of injury proneness in his career left back, nothing short of that.

Left back, almost anyone who is reliable is preferable to anyone we have at the club. Baines is both a real freekick threat(RVP is by and large useless), it would free up RVP from taking corners which he is both, not good at, and better in the box. It would give us a reliable generally injury free left back, an English player no one can complain about, and someone who is better offensively and defensively than anyone we currently have at left back. Gibbs out, Santos out, and then bring another left back, prospect/youth type as in 17-18yr old who can play a few of the easier games and maybe be a long term replacement.

Last edited:
Soldato
We don't need to spend a fortune, we are in about the same position as we have been for 5 years, two great players would make us competitive for the title, those positions have changed in the last few years and now it's a top class CAM and depending on who we sell, maybe a player for the front 3 (which could be Podolski)

Eriksen or Gotze are the dream signings, and I think either would make a big statement, but you can't help but feel it's just a dream

I'm happy with Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere and Rosicky(on current form). Fair enough Eriksen or the like would be the kind of marquee signing you just can't turn down, but I don't think they would be the best signings the club could make.

I player to go in the front 3 (Podolski) and a LB I think are the main things needed, no idea who though for that spot. Would be very nice to get Vertonghen as well. Maybe that could be the LB spot sorted?

Edit: Also, I am delighted with Song this season. Wouldn't replace him for anyone now tbh, but there will be Frimpong next season to be his back up anyway. There is also Miyaichi to come in, who I think will play a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom