** ALL NEW (WITH RULES) Summer Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/246791/-40m-Luka-Modric-rocks-for-Alex-Ferguson/

the story that keeps popping up

it'll be over £40m but i'm quite sure he's off in the summer but i think it will be chelsea and not united.

he's settled in london and the drubbing they gave us in the cup and their champions league win over barca will now surely have confirmed to him he needs to move on to have a chance of winning the silverware he (rightly) deserves. if chelsea do win the cl, how can levy argue against it? modric will be feeling sick of they do as he could've been a part of it.

under AVB i'm sure he's glad he wasn't there but the tides are turning now.

he has been far from faultless this season (though redknapp's tactics haven't helped at all) and for £40m+ it is a sound sale aslong as we re-invest well

Soldato
This season - 31 league games 73 shots 3 goals. Amazing.

Shirley Liverpool will have to buy him, with that record :eek:.

Edit :: You'll have to use that £40m (lol) to buy a replacement for him, and another striker... and another centre back, arguably.

now, i don't want to bash the bloke as his talent is obvious but is that goal ratio good enough for an attacking CM? not really. i can't understand why he hasn't scored more. he has played more the playmaker role and has created a lot of our build up play that has lead to goals but that ratio shows our style of play (we don't attack the box more blitz it out wide) isn't really suited to him.

compare how many goals lampard will score from a similar position (though modric has taken penalties, he's not our top 3 choice) and it's again clear to see why chelsea may suit him but then the same could be said about united ala scholes' role.

i agree, we should take the money and buy an accomplished striker and two defenders ( a new lb would be nice along with a cb )

that then leaves us with the void he would leave in the centre. he controls a lot of things and is a fantastic playmaker but that's no use if we're leaking goals at the back and our current strikers can't score.

we could try a CM of parker and sandro, making anything through the middle a creative battle but have VDV linking up and just attack from wide positions instead of trying through the centre.

but then bale could bugger off too.

Soldato
I saw more in Martinez in just two games against us than I've seen in Modric all season, I don't know if he simply doesn't want to be at Spurs anymore and his performances have been a result of that or what but he's failed to dominate any of the big games like he had done the previous season and his passing has always seemed erratic in most of the games I've seen (tbf the stats don't back this up), 40m for him now is a joke but I've no doubt if he does move Spurs' will get a tidy fee for him but given he was at 30m player at best last summer I'd say he value should be much closer to 25m now. As far as I'm concerned though Chelsea would be welcome to him.

Shame about Hamsik as well, after Napoli's form in the UCL this season I was sure he'd be on the move and was hoping he'd be someone we'd have our eyes on (for the record he's another that's impressed me far more than Modric has this season)

Last edited:
Caporegime
As always, a midtable team who can't get better players would be very happy with Modric, a top 4-5 team, CAN buy better, much better, and almost certainly cheaper. Spurs would be doing fantastic business to get anything over 20mil for a non goal scoring central midfielder who is slow, weak and simply hasn't been good enough.

The problem is, as always Utd can attract more/better players than most clubs in the world, you can buy a short, slow, weak midfield who gets few goals but is a good passer(but not the best around at all), or you can buy a bigger, stronger, faster midfielder who scores more, is an equally good or even better passer, why on earth choose the former?

Then again, they play with Welbeck upfront, there isn't any logic behind that decision either. This was always my argument with Hernandez, sure he gets goals but his overall game is awful, Wolves couldn't attract a better player and would be lucky to have him, Utd can get a player as good as Hernandez at poaching, but who is also significantly better in every other part of his game.

Modric would be an awful buy for a top 5 team at anything over 20mil, if Spurs get offered more than that they'll be doing great business.

Soldato
As always, a midtable team who can't get better players would be very happy with Modric, a top 4-5 team, CAN buy better, much better, and almost certainly cheaper. Spurs would be doing fantastic business to get anything over 20mil for a non goal scoring central midfielder who is slow, weak and simply hasn't been good enough.

The problem is, as always Utd can attract more/better players than most clubs in the world, you can buy a short, slow, weak midfield who gets few goals but is a good passer(but not the best around at all), or you can buy a bigger, stronger, faster midfielder who scores more, is an equally good or even better passer, why on earth choose the former?

Then again, they play with Welbeck upfront, there isn't any logic behind that decision either. This was always my argument with Hernandez, sure he gets goals but his overall game is awful, Wolves couldn't attract a better player and would be lucky to have him, Utd can get a player as good as Hernandez at poaching, but who is also significantly better in every other part of his game.

Modric would be an awful buy for a top 5 team at anything over 20mil, if Spurs get offered more than that they'll be doing great business.

Thanks the Lord with every post you write that you havent been in charge of Utd for any length of time (many of the titles wouldnt be in Utd's name if you had)

Utd may well be able to attract better /faster / more frequent scorers however to major contributing factors

1) No one knows for sure how any player from another league is going cope with the EPL (and factor in £££ of players Utd are interested in and this risk magnifies)

2) Even London (with arguably less successful clubs in the last two decades) is more attractive to majority of over-seas players than Manchester,without even comparing Barcelona, Madrid or even Munich/Paris into the equation

and to an extent....

3) SAF himself probably puts a lot of players off, just from his age /unknown retirement potentially around the corner

(Im not suggesting Modric is definitely the key, but in one sense Utd have always had one hand tied behind their back because of their location, and City get over this by offering the obscene wages to every senior player)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't rate Modric for £40m. No way.

Ideally, at the very least I want a more defensive minded midfielder, Javi Martinez would be one such example. M'Vila another.

Also, a more attack minded midfielder, but not a (pure at least) winger. A Hazard type player.

Anyway, there will be some spending and dealing going on at least:

Manchester United chief executive David Gill admits there will be comings and goings at Old Trafford this summer.

Gill believes there will be changes at United at the end of the season if they secure the Premier League title.

United are five points clear of Manchester City, with only four games left and Gill confirmed he was hoping to see Sir Alex Ferguson's side hold their nerve again in the title run-in before conducting any business regarding transfers and new contracts during the close season.

"It's been an amazing run and it's going to be a tense end to the season. If we do it, it will be fantastic," Gill told the club's official website.

"This time of year's not good. You do get tense but we've done very well and are in good shape now - five points ahead with four games to go. It's going to be tight but it's been wonderful."
Changes

When asked whether it would be a busy summer for him, he added: "We're looking at all that. The work goes on all year round but obviously intensifies as we come to the end of the season in terms of players.

"There's various contracts we've got to do, we'll look at some acquisitions and there will be some players who will leave. It's an interesting time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/7685449/Gill-expects-busy-summer

Man of Honour
Shakhtar Donetsk have told Chelsea that they will sell them Willian this summer if they match the club’s asking price. God knows what that will be as they rejected a £16.4 million bid in January.

Caporegime
Thanks the Lord with every post you write that you havent been in charge of Utd for any length of time (many of the titles wouldnt be in Utd's name if you had)

Utd may well be able to attract better /faster / more frequent scorers however to major contributing factors

1) No one knows for sure how any player from another league is going cope with the EPL (and factor in £££ of players Utd are interested in and this risk magnifies)

2) Even London (with arguably less successful clubs in the last two decades) is more attractive to majority of over-seas players than Manchester,without even comparing Barcelona, Madrid or even Munich/Paris into the equation

and to an extent....

3) SAF himself probably puts a lot of players off, just from his age /unknown retirement potentially around the corner

(Im not suggesting Modric is definitely the key, but in one sense Utd have always had one hand tied behind their back because of their location, and City get over this by offering the obscene wages to every senior player)

Seriously, can you point out where anything you said has anything to do with what I said? I mean, at all.

Lets start with number 2, London is more attractive to oversea's players than Manchester.

Firstly, no, secondly, Ronaldo had an offer from Arsenal, and chose Utd, as did RVN, and a bunch of other players, so you're completely wrong, more wrong, and ludicrously wrong. Utd, compared to everyone else in the UK till Chelsea came along, offered obscene wages, they are CHAMPIONS, being a team that has a shot at a title and the money that goes along with being winners means Utd have no problem attracting players.

Lets move on to, where did I say foreign player, I didn't. Cabaye has more potential than Modric and would cost a damn site less than 40mil, we know he can be class in this league, and he's only going to improve from where he is now.

Going for someone you know really isn't good enough, because you don't know if someone else might fail, is laughably daft.... and hilariously you'll notice this is something Fergie has never, ever been afraid to do, which suggests Fergie would agree with me here. Did he not get Veron, was it because he was scared he might not adapt, what about Anderson, or Djemba Djemba, or Bebe, etc, etc. Managers who are scared of the potential of failure and so always take the safe route..... fail, every time.

Offering a huge contract, and a huge fee for a player you KNOW isn't as good as you need, is beyond stupid. Likewise, Fergie has never had an issue with buying young players, you don't HAVE to spend 30mil on whoever the latest "in" foreign star is, you can simply buy whoever is GOOD, get a great deal, and get a great player.

Berbatov is absolutely, unquestionably, brilliant, yet Utd fans seem to think he's **** and he's deemed a failure.... yet you think buying another expensive player from the same team somehow negates the risk of a player from another league doing badly, because if you buy an established EPL player..... he'll definitely live up to the price? Seriously, can you really not see how every single part of your post is utterly flawed on every single level.

Soldato
Firstly, no, secondly, Ronaldo had an offer from Arsenal, and chose Utd, as did RVN, and a bunch of other players,

bale chose spurs over united for first team opp's under jol and jol also got quite pally with his mum and promised to turn him into one of the world's best.

FFWD 5 years later, jol has gone and bale is one of the worlds best (on his day) and is still not in his prime.

front page of today's telegraph sports has bale on with the headline 'barca target' app they will be making an offer over the summer.

would he suit barca's style of play? i don't think so. would they adjust their style of play to suit him? again, i don't think so. would he get home sick if he doesn't hit the ground running (for a long time, he was never on a winning spurs side, i used to sigh when he came off the bench, even ferguson asked redknapp why he played him as we never won with him on the pitch) but then something clicked and redknapp does deserve some credit for this.

if we get a combined offer of £100m for modric and bale and can clear out other dead wood (bentley, jenas, dos santos etc) then we shoulld tryand look at united's model and build a young team over a period, can't be any worse than watching the wheels fall off again.

redknapp has had the first public vote of confidence from the FA today, though from a member who isn't one of the decision making 5(?) but things should gather pace now and he will go. i just hope we get a manager who has more than one style of play (which is attacking but not sustainable) and is willing to build from the back with youth)

Soldato
Berbatov is absolutely, unquestionably, brilliant, yet Utd fans seem to think he's **** and he's deemed a failure....

not all do but most and it is quite frankly bizarre but then they're top of the table (though they play some dull stuff for a top team) but i agree, he's an incredibly talented striker who (technically) blows any other united striker out of the water.

£40m+ berbatov for modric would be ideal

Caporegime
:confused:

Are you saying players will be attracted to coming to United because Fergie could soon be on the way out?

No not quite that opposite :p I'm saying his name might attract players that are keen to work under a legend. It might be different if he was talking about only having a few years left but he still seems pretty keen to stay around.

Soldato
Well I agree with 1 and 2 but definitely not 3. If anything I'd say it was a pro rather than a con.

I know what you are saying - just that major signings ideally want as stable an environment as possible , with the manager being the primary contributor to this.

Admittedly most managers arent safe these days - but SAF being so coy about when he is going to step down may not entice those prestige players
(I said the original things in order of importance and stressed "and to an extent" to be an minor but still possible consideration for overseas players)

and yes dm I think my post did refer to yours enough as you state "Utd can attract more/better players" and I was suggesting why those same "better" players might not want to come to Utd given other clubs most likely to go for the same players. Your negativity about some players (who have been significant factors in one or many titles) is why imo that post deserved my initial comment

not all do but most and it is quite frankly bizarre but then they're top of the table (though they play some dull stuff for a top team) but i agree, he's an incredibly talented striker who (technically) blows any other united striker out of the water.

£40m+ berbatov for modric would be ideal

not a chance in ****lol

Berba may be a VERY talented and skillful player, but with the pace Utd have and need to use, he isnt that much use (and to be fair he hasnt been missed majorly this season, and I stil think his EPL golden boot was a statistical anomoly (given the relatively low number of seperate games he scored in relative to the total). For Utd he just doesnt show up often enough (when given the chance)

Last edited:
Soldato
upon reading the article, barca are looking at bale as a left back. not sure how he'd feel about that.

there was another interesting article on joe cole with the snippet ''moving to liverpool was a bigger culture shock than france'' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom