** ALL NEW (WITH RULES) Summer Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I haven't said Mertesacker is crap thanks very much, he isn't great though, he certainly isn't worth being our most expensive CB, Djourou and Squillaci are gash but Djourou is being kept, its as simple as that, Wenger loves him even if he'd struggle in league 2.

That means we already have Verm, Mert, Kos and Djourou, we need to get rid of Squillaci, in ideal circumstances we would have sold him before buying Mert, Wenger already made a concession by buying a replacement before having the chance to get rid of him. Once we get rid of him we have 4 cb's and are "even", as always with Wenger, it doesn't matter what you or me think, HE thinks Djourou is more than good enough, and has just given him a new contract.

If he was willing to get rid of both of those then he'd look for a 4th CB, but personally I think he'd be looking for a 4th choice CB, not someone on an expensive contract.

Mertesacker sucks in as much as, he was brought in purely because he's tall to help us do better at set pieces. he sucks in the air, he sucks in the air compared to someone a foot shorter, he's woeful in the air for someone his height. He's been poor at set pieces and while decent enough in the rest of his game, that still isn't good enough for being our most expensive CB. This is the problem with well, the EPL in general and fans. Mertesacker ISN'T brilliant, there are brilliant CB's out there, you win things by getting rid of average or even half decent players, and buying great players. EPL for years has been about settling on average players rather than moving on and bringing in great players.

Wenger at his best, get shot of Overmars and Petit, buy Pires, Lauren, etc, etc. Mertesacker is to slow, clumsy and not good in the air to ever be great for us, so we should be looking to move him on, not settle.

But most of that isn't particularly relevant, the fact is with Squillaci gone(hopefully) we'll have 4 CB's, Vertonghen may/may not be great, but we won't go for him without getting rid of Mert or Djourou, which we aren't going to do.

I think ultimately too many decisions will come down to where we finish, if we blow up again before the end of the season(or more like if Spurs stop being completely useless) and that all leads to either RVP staying or going. Who we buy, what positions we strengthen and who we can get will likely all change completely if RVP leaves.

Caporegime
Has Podolski officially gone through?

Latest is that Wenger has denied Podolski has undergone a medical at Arsenal...so god knows what the deal is there. One min we have agreed terms with him and next we are denying that hes had a medical with us.

M'Vila is another player we are linked with, we were linked with him back last summer but nothing ever came of it.

Im liking the sounds Vertonghen might be a buy for us in the summer...anything to keep Djourou out of the squad is a win win:p...god knows why Wenger loves his swiss defenders...a few yrs back we had Senderos playing for us lol.

Soldato
A lot of 'sources' seem sure that we'll be signing Nathaniel Clyne in the summer, anyone seen him regularly enough to make an opinion on whether he can make the step up?

for £2m does it really matter?

Even that is a compensation fee, rather than actual transfer - as he is leaving on a free I understand)

(Im not being superior, I just mean that majoriity of EPL sides financial director would barely breathe differently over such a small transfer - no disrespect but possibly Everton might due to their taut purse strings)

rumours are also suggesting that SAF might be after as many as four players - which fits with Morrison already out of the squad, and PIG, Berba and Owen probably all leaving for one reason or another). A Defender, a striker and two midfielders would be my reckoning

Last edited:
Soldato
Hearing Luiz to Barca in the summer.

Could see that working for Barca with him being a ball playing CB and I can't imagine Chelski complaining if they got decent money.

Soldato
He's probably as good as Pique and would probably look equally as good when he doesn't actually have to do any defending.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Guys, signing a new 10 year contract doesn't bear much relevance to transfers at all. If a club has a valuable player that will attract a lot of attention from other clubs, they are obviously going to get him on a long term contract to protect their asset.

Soldato
Yeah, but if the player had any intention of leaving in the coming transfer window, he's hardly going to lock himself into a longer contract (as it'll make it more expensive for a new club to sign him).

Especially with Euros /WC coming up , this actually happens a fair amount of time so that the original club get what the player is worth rather than a fraction of what his expiring contract was worth (because the player feels some alegiance to the "smaller" club)

Soldato
Especially with Euros /WC coming up , this actually happens a fair amount of time so that the original club get what the player is worth rather than a fraction of what his expiring contract was worth (because the player feels some alegiance to the "smaller" club)

This is my thought, If I wanted to move to a 'bigger' club to develop and achieve what my potential was, i'd want to at least leave the club that's given me the opportunity, with some kind of reward, so i'd sign a contract and expect another club will pay my true valuation, which in a case like Goetze, is rather big, there's no kidding, everybody know's how good he could be in a team with similar level players.

Soldato
while I believe the above is true in general, and may turn out to be true for Gotze, I have no illusions that SAF will test them with a big enough offer for him to end up at OT - this simply wont happen

Soldato
This is my thought, If I wanted to move to a 'bigger' club to develop and achieve what my potential was, i'd want to at least leave the club that's given me the opportunity, with some kind of reward, so i'd sign a contract and expect another club will pay my true valuation, which in a case like Goetze, is rather big, there's no kidding, everybody know's how good he could be in a team with similar level players.

Could be the key word. Right now what would Gotze's value be? He's what 19? Had only what 2 years in the Dortmund first team? They may be an element of him signing this contract to protect his current club but I'm sure a bigger part of it is so he gets a bigger wage at the end of the month.

Personally at the moment I dont think his value should be anymore than £25m simply due to his age, his limited amount of playing time and him being untested outside of the Bundesliga and it's because of all this I actually think it's a good thing he stays at Dortmund for at least another year.

If after next season he's clocked up 3 seasons worth of on average 30 games then and only then I think you can start to tell if you're going to be justified paying £30m plus which is what I'm sure most feel is his full value is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be the key word. Right now what would Gotze's value be? He's what 19? Had only what 2 years in the Dortmund first team? They may be an element of him signing this contract to protect his current club but I'm sure a bigger part of it is so he gets a bigger wage at the end of the month.

Personally at the moment I dont think his value should be anymore than £25m simply due to his age, his limited amount of playing time and him being untested outside of the Bundesliga and it's because of all this I actually think it's a good thing he stays at Dortmund for at least another year.

If after next season he's clocked up 3 seasons worth of on average 30 games then and only then I think you can start to tell if you're going to be justified paying £30m plus which is what I'm sure most feel is his full value is.

He has been around the senior international team for a year or two hasnt he?

I would suggest this hasa factor on any transfer cost also - although I totally agree that 3 years from a club development point of view is a good basis before moving to a bigger club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom