** ALL NEW (WITH RULES) Summer Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Think its pretty disrespectful behaviour to freeze Berbatov out to be honest, he's been loyal, hasn't kicked up a fuss about not being played nor about leaving.

Ok, if you were desperate to give Welbeck games to help him improve or if he was genuinely excellent, but he was again pointless tonight as he is most games.

City with a bit more experience and if you win the title, for my money probably Mourinho and another 80mil of players will be a much bigger problem next year. Hell "this" City squad before pressure seemed to get to them were pulling away from Utd quite easily.

Welbeck and Hernandez aren't going to cut it long term, Chelsea likely due for some heavy improving and Spurs making slow but steady progress, honestly Utd's strikeforce looks ridiculous compared to.... Newcastle, City, Real, Barca, Bayern, aside from experience and the general winning menality Utd have one "real" striker(two if you include Berbatov).

tbh Fergie is bigger than the club, when he does not like you, you are gone, shame really Berbatov seems a decent guy and has some great touches at times, up with Bergkamp.

Caporegime
tbh Fergie is bigger than the club, when he does not like you, you are gone, shame really Berbatov seems a decent guy and has some great touches at times, up with Bergkamp.

Well the stupid thing of it is, Fergie insisted on Berbatov staying for another couple years while point blank refusing to use him unless basically it was forced on him through injury, why hurt the players career and prevent him leaving if you then use him as little as possible? You'd have to wonder, why didn't they sell him a year or two ago for a lot more money than they'll get this summer, get one of their bigger wage earners off the book for two years(that's probably another 15 or so mil saved) and buy someone else.

Think of the good deals on strikers lately, seems mental to me, he's not only prevented Berbatov really playing in two years that could have been his best, he's hurting Utd as well as keeping him for two years will probably cost them the best part of 25mil in wages/lost transfer fee's.

Man of Honour
Indeed cheets and DM. Welbeck isn't even on the same planet as Berbatov.

Aside from that, he's been treated like crap. :(

Caporegime
Well the stupid thing of it is, Fergie insisted on Berbatov staying for another couple years while point blank refusing to use him unless basically it was forced on him through injury, why hurt the players career and prevent him leaving if you then use him as little as possible? You'd have to wonder, why didn't they sell him a year or two ago for a lot more money than they'll get this summer, get one of their bigger wage earners off the book for two years(that's probably another 15 or so mil saved) and buy someone else.

Think of the good deals on strikers lately, seems mental to me, he's not only prevented Berbatov really playing in two years that could have been his best, he's hurting Utd as well as keeping him for two years will probably cost them the best part of 25mil in wages/lost transfer fee's.

It's because he gave him a couple more chances, but every Berbatov performance since February 2011 has been nothing short of embarrassing. The lack of movement, effort, no running, unwilling to beat his man and a determination to pass instead of shoot have all led to a situation where Berbatov simply cannot be trusted to perform when he is needed. The only person who has brought this situation about is Berbatov with not just below par, but downright awful performances.

People go on about him winning the Golden Boot (or sharing it at least) last year, but all those goals came in bundles, he did most of his scoring in very few matches which gave him a huge chunk of last season where he didn't really do anything.

The frustrating side to all this is that Berbatov arguably has the greatest control/first touch of any footballer around and when he wants to play he's almost impossible to push off the ball and is actually quite quick at running, but he doesn't want to do this often enough, it's not in his nature. The simple fact of all this is that we spent £31m on a player who just never fitted into our system and the way we played football. Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cole, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Tevez, even Forlan. Those were all strikers before Berbatov and they all focussed on one thing, getting forwards, getting play moving quickly and getting shots off. Sadly none of these things are prioritised in Berbatov's game.

Soldato
Apparently Newcastle have signed a cb for the summer and are looking for a lb. Funnily enough Erik Pieters was on Twitter after our match congratulating us on beating Liverpool.

Soldato
I don't think Ronaldo would sign for City. I'd be genuinely shocked.

Also I can't see City splashing that cash, especially the wages with FFP rules coming in.

Soldato
If Berbatov goes we must sign. If Rooney got injured we'd be absolutely ******.

Of course the problem I'd have if we replace Berbatov is if we do so with yet another young player who could be at the exact same stage of development as Hernandez and Welbeck (I'm thinking van wolfswinkel when I say this). That's why in many ways Berbatov is perfect for us at the moment; 4th choice but very experienced, you can understand why that's not perfect for him though.

I just hope if he goes we dont rely on Owen as 4th choice because you know.... he cant be relied upon :(

Caporegime
And Owen is similar to Welbeck and Hernandez especially. if Rooney was injured I can't see a partnership out of Welbeck, Hernandez and Owen working really. In some ways it would be better if we had an attacking midfielder who could play a bit further forward if needed due to injuries (like Van De Vaart)

Soldato
Well Young could do that job and maybe that's the thinking sign all these wingers rather than out and out strikers and hope they do a similar goal scoring job which unless you've got Messi or Ronaldo isn't going to happen.

If I had one criticism of us this season is that Rooney has almost 20 goals more than anyone else in the side with Hernandez, Welbeck, Berbatov & Nani all with only 8-11 goals each, usually at this point in the season we've got at least 2 players who have 20 goals each.

I fear this is now getting dangerously close to be considered a club thread matter though so best we leave it here before we get into trouble :p

Associate
Apparently Newcastle have signed a cb for the summer and are looking for a lb. Funnily enough Erik Pieters was on Twitter after our match congratulating us on beating Liverpool.

Pieters is good friends with Krul. He has posted comments on Twitter about quite a few of our games over the season ;)

We are obviously in the market for a LB and have been in talks with him for ages now, I'd be surprised if nothing came of this. Plus he can play CB and Pardew is concentrating on a smaller more versatile squad.

The CB is supposed to be Douglas from FC Twente. McClaren has supposedly already started looking for his replacement. Think he would make a big difference (literally!) as he is huge!

I have also heard we will sign some youth to push the first team, and I'd expect to see a proper right winger come in also to complement Marveux to enable us to play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with a lone striker when tactics dictate. I personally think 4-3-3 is our main formation moving forward but being able to put a team out with a quality 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 will be a major bonus.

Plus we'll be getting shot of a few stragglers which will free up a sizeable chunk of wages, so could possibly see Ba's contract renegotiated.

I'd be over the moon if these were the close season changes that were made, plus not losing any one of significance too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So even when he scored a hat trick against Wigan he was embarrasing was he? :confused:

Oh sorry, he scored a hat-trick against an incapable side. Like Blackburn and Liverpool last season :p

Watch his performances for the vast majority of them in the last 18 months his effort, performance and even in games this season, his touch, have been dreadful. There's a reason he's now behind Welbeck and Hernandez, and I believe if Owen was fit (lol) then he'd be behind him too.

We're being linked with Modric and Hazard, although realistically I think we'll only be signing one of them (I'd like two and play Hazard out wide on the left), but they're not necessarily to replace any strikers (Modric in particular scores nowhere near as many as he should).

If there's a deal to be had on someone like Villa then that could be interesting. He's not going to start up front over Messi and I'm sure he'd rather play at another top club up front than be forced out wide on the left. It's just a case of transfer fee, wages, desire and of course, age. But he'd certainly score goals.

I'd also like us to sign anyone who can hit a free-kick. Young is the best we have and he's not exactly consistent. I assume that's a large reason for why we play for penalties instead of free-kicks, since Ronaldo and Hargreaves went we've not had anyone whom you have the confidence of them working the goal keeper.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd also like us to sign anyone who can hit a free-kick. Young is the best we have and he's not exactly consistent. I assume that's a large reason for why we play for penalties instead of free-kicks, since Ronaldo and Hargreaves went we've not had anyone whom you have the confidence of them working the goal keeper.

Rooney and giggs like to take them if possible. i have no problem with rooney taking them, i still remember his debut.

I see berbatov going to PSG potentially, Juve had been touted, but when you have Mirko Vučinić, why would you want berbatov? he is just as languid, as inconsistent and capable of brilliance...whilst being younger.

Interesting, ive left this thread alone for a couple of weeks and its nice to know im not the one de railing it all of the time.

Caporegime
Rooney and giggs like to take them if possible. i have no problem with rooney taking them, i still remember his debut.
I think either the last free-kick Giggs scored or the one before last was the open goal early free kick against Lille about 5 years ago? And I believe Rooney has only scored 4 free-kicks too, two stationary and one of those was his debut. So about half a decade ago was the last time they were threatening from a set-piece. Even from Corners it's the same near post nonsense, you see other teams whipping in these threatening corners and ours almost never make it past the first man.

Of course, both of them get it lower than Nani who often launches his into the stratosphere :p. We have a real lack of quality set-piece takers.

Soldato
Caporegime
Desailly formerly of Chelsea and France urging Arsenal to sign Yann M'Vila at any cost, saying that he can be better than Vieira was for Arsenal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ailly-urges-Arsenal-sign-Yann-MVila-cost.html

Also Arsenal looking at another French player, Montpelliers player Olivier Giroud...currently rated at £50mill:eek:...never heard of the guy but Montpellier are value him at £50mill according to the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2124639/Arsenal-want-Olivier-Giroud.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom