** ALL NEW (WITH RULES) Summer Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
If thats aimed at me, please dont take what I said out of context.

If SAF only has £40m-50m to spend in the summer, then yes I would be worried spending that amount on Hazard, IF he can spend £80-90m (not that he is likely to anyway, but IF) , then its much less of a concern

There is a HUGE performance difference between Ligue 1 and EPL, and because its so huge, and given how important that position is to Utd currently, I think its only right to be concerned how much is spent.

Lets just see if the report is accurate 1st, and how much the initial payment is
Aimed at no single person, I'm just surprised at the number of people scoffing at spending £30m, it's not exactly an astronomical fee is it.

How much did we spend last summer, about £50m was it? Some good investments for sure, but sometimes paying that little extra for one player instead of splitting that cost between two can make all the difference. Anyone think Aguero was a rip off at around the £30m mark?

We are sorely missing what you would call fantasy players, as a unit the team has done well and in all probability punched above it's weight, but our points total was thin paper over very large cracks. How many times did we get embarrassed by teams that can play a bit last year? Far too many time for me.

I do see the point about how spending a large chunk of money on one player will be at the expense of others you could have brought in, but we've done more than our fair share of mid value transfers over the past few years, time to put some serious money down again. Or, we can watch as others teams do it and then moan this time next year about how they're buying the titles, because we never did that did we ;).

Kinda. I think Pardew just said that it's stupid to have payments going out over x number of years, because clubs don't know the situation they'll be in four years down the line, etc. I can't remember the exact quote, or where I read it (so I cannae look it up).
Why aye! :D

Erm, I can't remember who at the club was quoted as explaining the thinking for it but I do remember that the reason was so that fees could be paid off. Perhaps Newcastle are playing it safe considering how they got relegated and how that would have hurt their revenue income. Bigger clubs could be more confident of staying in the league and would also have more revenue and probably more secure revenue so it doesn't matter as much to them.

Ah it might have been Euros I was thinking of. Still, Ronaldo was an expensive buy for a young player playing in a 'worse' league.
All I know about us signing Ronaldo is that he cost us £12.25m and it was after he played us in a 3-1 win over Utd and some of our players begged Fergie to "sign him up".

I would much rather we spent £30m+ on Hazard than on Modric.

bigger gamble - potential for bigger success /failure

thats all Im saying :)

Aimed at no single person, I'm just surprised at the number of people scoffing at spending £30m, it's not exactly an astronomical fee is it.

How much did we spend last summer, about £50m was it? Some good investments for sure, but sometimes paying that little extra for one player instead of splitting that cost between two can make all the difference. Anyone think Aguero was a rip off at around the £30m mark?

We are sorely missing what you would call fantasy players, as a unit the team has done well and in all probability punched above it's weight, but our points total was thin paper over very large cracks. How many times did we get embarrassed by teams that can play a bit last year? Far too many time for me.

I do see the point about how spending a large chunk of money on one player will be at the expense of others you could have brought in, but we've done more than our fair share of mid value transfers over the past few years, time to put some serious money down again. Or, we can watch as others teams do it and then moan this time next year about how they're buying the titles, because we never did that did we ;).

Dont disagree with any of that

I would be a lot happier if I knew how much SAF had available to him , thats all :)

(I would LOVE some "fantasy " player(s) to arrive at OT over the summer)

Last edited:
I would much rather we spent £30m+ on Hazard than on Modric.

Likewise. I'd rather have a (currently excellent) player with the potential to be one of the best attacking midfielders in recent times than a Paul Scholes knock off.

Modric is very good but aside from the odd wonder goal he's never impressed me massively. Spurs fans have made him out to be better than he is.

Having said that he would still greatly improve our midfield!

But as it stands, who's best placed? You're saying Manyoo could be a better shout, if they invest loads of money... something that's by no means certain to happen.

I qualified it by saying that if we were willing to match city on wages and fee (ie for hazard) in a position which is not vital for us then that in itself would be a statement of intent in my opinion.

Regardless I don't think we'd come close on wages.

All transfers are a risk. There's no guarantee that any player will play well for you (Torres being the perfect example). Like Robbo said, Modric has never really impressed me and I seriously don't get all the hype around him.

That's the good old arrogance people talk about. Nasri could have joined Man Utd and chose City, there's no guarantee a player would join United over City if the conditions were the same

That's the good old arrogance people talk about. Nasri could have joined Man Utd and chose City, there's no guarantee a player would join United over City if the conditions were the same

I wouldn't call it arrogance, you're free to disagree that most players would prefer to play for Man Utd over Man City - that's fine, it's your opinion.

Are you sure we offered the exact same deal to Nasri as City? I don't recall that.

Of course there's no guarantee, but on average I'd wager most players would prefer Man Utd. I think most people would agree, fans or not.

Didnt Nasri even admit to agreeing to sign for Utd, before getting a better wages offer from City?:confused:

(Im sure I heard that from one side or the other last summer)

Also, the £10m-20m players fail just as often if not more than those you pay a little extra for. The difference is if you cost £25m+ and aren't an undeniable success, everyone knows about it. At £10m-£20m it's a little easier to fade into insignificance (and a hell of a lot more likely).

Anyway, I'll hold off this conversation now until he's at least said he wants to come to us, because it's just asking for disappointment otherwise :p.

He had the chance to go to both and chose City. You can speculate on what we don't know, but I'd rather acknowledge what we do

Yeah, I'm sure the fact City could have offered him twice as much in wages kind of supports our point, doesn't it?

Can't you see it's a fairly stupid comment to make, though, as it's just meaningless when there's no foundation?

Maybe Manyoo offered more - we don't know.

It's not stupid, it's just what I think. I could suggest your constant slating of Man Utd is stupid, but you clearly don't like them so want to do that, and that's fine by me.

I very much doubt we offered more, I'd be shocked if so.

Nasri didn't sign for United because we didn't offer him the same package City did. There's a reason why at the start of the season Nasri was still an Arsenal player and that's because after City tabled their offer he came back to us and asked us to match it. He didn't want to sign for City, he wanted to sign for Man Utd but when we told him that we wouldn't budge on our offer he went where the money was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom