** ALL NEW (WITH RULES) Summer Transfer Window 2012/2013 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is that £30m on Hazard today is considerably less than what you paid on those 4.

I dunno about that tbh, we've just established that Sanchez going from Italy to Spain was no where near as expensive as speculated and the inflated transfer fees only really seem applicable for players going elsewhere within the same league, specifically the PL (unless of course you're Ronaldo)

I dunno about that tbh, we've just established that Sanchez going from Italy to Spain was no where near as expensive as speculated and the inflated transfer fees only really seem applicable for players going elsewhere within the same league, specifically the PL (unless of course you're Ronaldo)

Or Real (edit - in general) lol

(Kaka also arrived for some enourmous amount as well I seem to recall)

Admittedly Real have always played by ther own rules in the transfer market

Bale != Modric...

If you read the post, you'd see what I meant by 'normal' transfer... a normal transfer, not a Carrol-esque one where the perfect storm of factors come together (£50m from Torres/it being the end of the window/Liverpool needing a striker)... so like the Manyoo selling Nani for £60m, then coming in for Bale, at the end of the window example.

What do you mean, 'this is how the markets work'? You said the market has said Bale's worth £40m... I asked you to substantiate that... then you come back and say 'that's how markets work, derp'?! :confused:

it is how markets work. supply, demand, interest. have you ever bought a house or been involved in a bidding war. but hey, no ones gonna bid for bale at £40m are they? we don't want to sell, if we do, it needs to be worth our while.

bale is contracted, so i don't know what you're getting at by normal transfer? this isn't a situation where he could leave for free next year because his contract is for another 3 or 4 years (off the top of my head) therefore, why should we sell for anything but a premium?

you say he is overpriced, so, what''s a more realistic price? £20m. well, downing went for £20m, has bale performed better than downing? he's performed a lot better.

then there's the replacement factor. we sell bale, what kind of money would we have to spend to replace him, couple this with the fact that his type of player are a premium.

then there's the risk of investment we took. we paid £10m for an unproven youngster, who had an awful start with us. you expect us to not want to be rewarded for that risk?

are you saying by asking £40m we are asking too much, are you saying then that we should lower his price to £20m? hey, it's only spurs afterall, how dare they want to hold onto their players?. i'm sure even arsenal would bid £20m but then united bid £25m, chelsea bid £30m, city bid £40m. hence the £40m tag as a start.

i read in todays telegraph that it was drogba's decision to leave chelsea and that he wouldn't have left had they not won. chelsea's winning will also leave united and arsenal £10m each worse off out of the cl tv money.

arsenal are set for a clear out http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...yers-quickly-to-make-way-for-fresh-blood.html

spurs looking to refresh attack, defoe could be making way
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-beef-up-strike-force-for-Premier-League.html

ithen there's the risk of investment we took. we paid £10m for an unproven youngster, who had an awful start with us. you expect us to not want to be rewarded for that risk?

Didnt Bale have a couple of years in the EPL with Southampton before moving (apologies if my mind is playing tricks - but if not he was hardly unproven)

Otherwise I completely agree with the rest of your post

Have things changed that much then? £30m (give or take) still seems to be norm for most high profile transfers these days just as it was during the period between 2002-2007.

Given world's generally ***** economic climate in the last few years, I would suggest £30m is worth a lot more now than it was in the early 00's.

Last edited:
Looks like Almunia is gone, as well as a few youngsters. Now if someone will take Diaby off our hands... :p

tumblr_ls2p71qm6U1qgqytao1_250.gif

Have things changed that much then? £30m (give or take) still seems to be norm for most high profile transfers these days just as it was during the period between 2002-2007.

Of course things have changed. Between 2002 and today Utd's revenue has more than doubled. There's considerably more money in the game now and you only have to look at all other clubs record transfer fees to see that, even if Utd's hasn't increased. There was probably only 3 or 4 other EPL clubs that had ever spent £10m on a player at the time Utd signed Veron, now there's only a few that haven't spent that much.

Then there's the age thing; £30m on Hazard at 21 isn't as expensive as £30m on a 27 year old (Berbatov when he siged for example).

Of course things have changed. Between 2002 and today Utd's revenue has more than doubled. There's considerably more money in the game now and you only have to look at all other clubs record transfer fees to see that, even if Utd's hasn't increased. There was probably only 3 or 4 other EPL clubs that had ever spent £10m on a player at the time Utd signed Veron, now there's only a few that haven't spent that much.

Then there's the age thing; £30m on Hazard at 21 isn't as expensive as £30m on a 27 year old (Berbatov when he siged for example).

I take your point about there being more money in the game overall but I still dont think even with that taking into consideration we're in an age where you'll see Man Utd sign a player for 40m and Arsenal & Spurs sign a player for 30m.

On your comparison with Hazard and Berbatov you're right 30m for the former isn't as expensive as the latter but then on the flip side it's neither more or less expensive than 19 year old Rooney in 2004.

I take your point about there being more money in the game overall but I still dont think even with that taking into consideration we're in an age where you'll see Man Utd sign a player for 40m and Arsenal & Spurs sign a player for 30m.

On your comparison with Hazard and Berbatov you're right 30m for the former isn't as expensive as the latter but then on the flip side it's neither more or less expensive than 19 year old Rooney in 2004.

Just because club x might not sign a player for £30m, it doesn't mean that £30m isn't less today than in 2002. As a general rule, clubs record transfer fees have risen over the last 10 years.

I can't recall exactly how much Rooney's fee was but even at £25m, the reality is that it would be considerably more than £30m 8 years later. Even with him being 2 years younger, Rooney was a fair bit more than Hazard would be if he costs £30m.
Except £30m in 2004 = £37.2m, now.
And as you know, 'football inflation' would increase that even more.

Just because club x might not sign a player for £30m, it doesn't mean that £30m isn't less today than in 2002.

I dunno surely it's all relative? If a club wont spend more than 30m on a player because they dont believe any player is worth more than that then to them 30m is worth no less than it did 10 years ago. I can see your stance also though.

EDIT: Chelsea have allegedly had an offer for Lucas Moura turned down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...reject-32m-Chelsea-offer-for-Lucas-Moura.html

He's a winger isn't he? Surprised we're not showing more interest :p

Last edited:
Didnt Bale have a couple of years in the EPL with Southampton before moving (apologies if my mind is playing tricks - but if not he was hardly unproven)

Given world's generally ***** economic climate in the last few years, I would suggest £30m is worth a lot more now than it was in the early 00's.

yes we got him from southampton and he was unproven in the pl. we took a risk, we paid a chunk upfront and the rest depending on performance and appearance etc but southampton hit financial troubles and we paid the balance off for a reduced price. he was awful when he first started at spurs, only redknapp turned things around. ferguson once said to redknapp ''why do you play him, you've never won when he's played''.

And now look at him. Signing a ten-year contract to stay at Spurs, his one true love, on a reduced wage, despite Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester City all bidding £125m for him.

Legend.

You appear to be crying, because Spurs are a feeder club :o. You can say 'we want £40m', but you won't get that.

You can't just say, 'he's better than Downing. Downing cost £20m. Ergo he's worth more than £20m'. Downing was bought for £20m, and the club expected him to live up to those expectations... but arguably hasn't. That doesn't mean a player better than him is worth £20+... it just means that £20m is the value of a player they expected Downing to be (kinda abstract, but it makes sense, if you think about it).

The same applies to Carroll. A player better than Carroll isn't instantly worth £35m+. A player they think is going to be a very good striker is worth £35m. A player who in reality is as good as Carroll has performed this season isn't worth £35m.

Yes, Bale's under contract, but you're an idiot if you think that means you can stop him leaving, if he demands a transfer, then a club offers £30m (as an example), when you want £40m.

no. i don't appear to be crying, you seem to be obsessed with spurs. spurs a feeder club? the last big names we sold were summer 2008, keane and berbatov. both wanted cl football, both sold on for a nice profit, before that, carrick in what, 2005/6? the feeder club thing is a little bit of a myth, like saying man utd were a feeder club for selling their best player (ronaldo) although under different circumstances, ronaldo didn't get his arse in his hand like berbatov (and look at berbatov now and keane for that matter) if it comes to the crunch and a player wants to move on/up, fair enough but both players are on long contracts so it will cost a premium to get them out of it. it stopped modric leaving last season, so it CAN stop a player leaving and you're an idiot for thinking it can't but if it's the best move for the club and both modric and bale deserve cl football then so be it.

we could've sold modric last year, we held firm and didn't. this year i think we should sell him as it will unsettle the team, just like it did the first few games until he pulled his finger out.

spurs aren't like villa, our finances are more in check, villa needed the downing transfer money, we don't, if we did, we'd have sold modric for £45m, giving us a profit of over £25m! but, once again, i think he should go now. he deserves cl football and has given a great innings for us and we can either push sandro into a permanent position or get the scouts out.

He played in the playoff season in the champ, 45 game and 5 goals (the season after we got relegated from the prem). Hardly unproven, was a class above the squad at 17 (the team most likely to get prem promotion till last season) and it was clear that our second youngest every player (behind Theo) would be good!

[ASSE]Hinchy;21985012 said:
It would be a nice surprise to find that Southampton had put a "25% of Next Sale" clause, Football Manager style, in the deal that saw Bale move to Spurs :p

We did, we traded it for a pack of peanuts :mad:

When we tried to stave off admin in the champ 4 years ago now we sold the clause for something like 1m upfront and to take on Tommy Forecast (rated at the time as England's next big thing in goal) to make the total transfer something like 7-8m.

Forecast has one year left on his contract and has turned out to be a terrible Blue Square South keeper, his nick name after his loan spell at Thurruk was "Tommy Foreposts" after conceding 5 and being subbed at half time. :mad:

So glad those dark days are behind us now though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom