Amazon Prime - Dont have it then you can wait.

Associate
Seems in my case even if I have Prime I can wait.
Ordered something (marked Prime and showing as in stock) on the Tuesday 12th December
Item still hasn't arrived (doesn't even show as despatched) and Amazon still say it's in stock :rolleyes:

Soldato
be interesting to know what percentage is missed, as the service is spot on at least for me. had hundreds of packages and its failed something like twice. at which point they give a month free.

we order quite a bit from amazon, since early November we are getting roughly 50/50 next day, other half is generally day after that but we have had a handful of things just never show up.

Biggest issue I have had recently is warehouse deal that was not what they claimed to be. Item in box totally wrong... Ordered hue bulbs, small saving, what turned up was a hue bulb box with some other random bulbs in it! Googling around apparently this is quite common. :(
F'ing annoying as that was gonna be an xmas present... Running out of time now!

Soldato
I think the issue with Prime is that Amazon have gradually expanded it into areas that people never wanted. When I first used Prime it was next day delivery, and as far as I can remember there was no small print to scan... If it had the Prime logo then it was arriving next day. Then they bought LoveFilm and instead of taking the risk of marketing the streaming service to those who actually wanted it, they decided to bundle it with Prime so that they had millions of subscribers overnight and next thing you know you've got it whether you want it or not.

I pay for Prime because I want next day delivery. I have storage space, music and video streaming and whilst I pay for that with my Prime subscription I don't actually use any of it... Amazon are effectively forcing me to subsidise it for those who do use it.

Prime has now become this membership club that opens up options to have a proper video streaming service (paid content), music streaming service (music unlimited - extra cost) .. and now it seems with deliveries Prime is the entry level to access another tier.

I'm going to cancel my renewal and put more effort into shopping elsewhere.

Soldato
Biggest issue I have had recently is warehouse deal that was not what they claimed to be. Item in box totally wrong... Ordered hue bulbs, small saving, what turned up was a hue bulb box with some other random bulbs in it! Googling around apparently this is quite common. :(
F'ing annoying as that was gonna be an xmas present... Running out of time now!

That's rather bad. What's the betting it's someone ordering the Hue bulbs, asking to return and returning normal bulbs?

Man of Honour
Seems in my case even if I have Prime I can wait.
Ordered something (marked Prime and showing as in stock) on the Tuesday 12th December
Item still hasn't arrived (doesn't even show as despatched) and Amazon still say it's in stock :rolleyes:
but when did it say it was going to arrive before you even ordered, just because its prime does not automatically mean next day.

Biggest issue I have had recently is warehouse deal that was not what they claimed to be. Item in box totally wrong... Ordered hue bulbs, small
supplied by who? that's the other thing a significant amount of people miss, just because its in a amazon warehouse, on prime, on a discount, doesn't automatically means its amazon.

Last edited:
Associate
but when did it say it was going to arrive before you even ordered, just because its prime does not automatically mean next day.
It originally said it would arrive Friday 15th.
Friday came and the website initially said arriving today, but tracking showed not despatched.
Later on Friday, it changed to Monday 18th.
It's now Monday 18th and the website still doesn't show the item as being despatched yet, despite saying arriving today.

Other items ordered last week and on saturday (16th) are out for delivery today

Man of Honour
It originally said it would arrive Friday 15th.
Friday came and the website initially said arriving today, but tracking showed not despatched.
Later on Friday, it changed to Monday 18th.
It's now Monday 18th and the website still doesn't show the item as being despatched yet, despite saying arriving today
yeah that's bad, get on live chat and make a complaint.

Associate
I think Amazon are incredible, especially the Prime service.

Whilst I appreciate that they should provide what they advertise, I'm willing to give them a bit more breathing room at this time of year. The number of packages flying around the place must be astronomical, and if something I order ends up taking a day longer than I expected I somewhat chalk it up to being my own silly fault for ordering things in mid-late December.

All I would add is that for as many times as I've had things late, I've had twice the amount of things that were delivered before the expected date, and on the few occasions where there's been a real screw up their customer service has been exemplary. Far better than John Lewis for example, who I used to have as the gold standard.

However, like I said, if they advertise the service they should provide it. Frankly I think we've been a bit spoiled by Amazon over the years. Nowadays if I'm using a different site and see they charge £3.99 delivery (3-5 days) I'm outraged!

Don
Web chatted Amazon this morning due to an item I ordered last tuesday still not having arrived despite being advertised as in stock for next day delivery - item has been chased up and should be here no later than Wednesday, but given 1 month extension to my Prime trial, without having to ask, so not going to grumble too much :)

Associate
That's a bit bizzarre as it's the very level of service you're willing to forgive of Amazon. At least those other companies are being honest with you.

No it's not. With Prime I haven't ever paid anything more than free for delivery, and it's never been more than 1 day late, barring 2 occasions where it was 2 days late. So Amazon at its worst for me is still better than standard delivery from almost anywhere else, and it's free.

I'm not sure I really understand your comment actually. Which other retailers even come vaguely close to offering the delivery standards that Amazon do? Where else are you buying a single book/tube of toothpaste/TV/phone, or anything else for that matter, and 98% of the time delivery is free and it's with you next day, even being delivered on Sundays?

You can argue that Prime isn't free, but given that the service costs me £6.50 a month (50p more than I pay for Netflix) then it basically is isn't it......

Associate
How come it has turned so bad recently? I know it's run up to Christmas right now so would expect things to be a little bit worse but it's been like this a while. Is it just because they don't want to pay Royal Mail/DPD for a decent service?

Associate
Ordered 2 items in lightning deals that never arrived at all, the tracking message was bizarre I can't remember it exactly, but something like delivery lost due to third-party. All Amazon offered was a refund.

I complained about a missed delivery on Saturday, only to find it on Sunday morning and it had been left outside the door in the rain, when we were at home at the time. Pretty disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom