Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

So not worth starting a new thread - so I'll drop this in here (kind relevant, maybe). I bought a Philips Sonicare toothbrush 2.5 years ago, so 6 months outside warranty @ £200. It no longer works, Philips say not their problem contact Amazon, who not their problem contact Philips. Is this worth the time/effort in pursuing through the CRA 2015 - which in my limited understanding suggests the act applies (less than 6 years old) - I've mentioned this and again neither care sating "not our problem, no warranty".

I still have 9 brush heads left which is annoying me as well.

Thanks.
Which part of the act mentions 6 years? I checked what I thought would be relevant but no mention of it. If You can tell me which section then I will offer an opinion, but ultimately it doesnt seem much of a right if they not prepared to enforce 6 year warranties.

Last edited:
I've switched where I can now from using Amazon to using the likes of Argos, generally found most of the same (branded) items without the **** tier AliExpress garbage and while I have to pay for delivery the drivers are decent too, haven't had to fetch my parcel out of the bin yet!

With the likes of Amazon Prime, we had a subscription to access some of the streaming content but have noticed more and more of it has been pushed behind additional paywalls. Plenty of TV series we would watch on it now only the first few seasons are accessible and the rest you have to pay per season.

Which part of the act mentions 6 years? I checked what I thought would be relevant but no mention of it. If You can tell me which section then I will offer an opinion, but ultimately it doesnt seem much of a right if they not prepared to enforce 6 year warranties.

This is cleared up a bit in the explanatory notes - it's mostly confusion with the limitation period you have in which to take a case to court if you think your rights have been broken.

Under the law of England and Wales and of Northern Ireland, claims for breach of contract are subject to a limitation period of six years from the date of the breach of contract, whereas in Scottish law the limitation period is five years. Because the protections provided under this Part of the Act operate on the basis of contract law, the consumer has 6 years (or 5 years in Scotland) within which they may pursue remedies for breach of one of the statutory rights.

This does not mean that a consumer may seek a remedy under the Act for any fault arising in goods at any time in the six (or five) years following delivery, but only if one of the statutory rights is breached.

The statutory right under section 9 (goods to be of satisfactory quality) will only be breached if goods are not of the standard which a reasonable person would consider to be satisfactory, taking into account circumstances including the price and any description given. This test of reasonableness is provided under section 9(2). For example, the statutory right may not be breached and so a consumer would not be able to obtain a remedy if, say, a very cheap kettle stopped working fully after four years, as a reasonable person might not expect a bottom of the range kettle to last that long.

As for the actual complaint, then the 'test of reasonableness' is as follows:

Goods to be of satisfactory quality​

(1)Every contract to supply goods is to be treated as including a term that the quality of the goods is satisfactory.

(2)The quality of goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, taking account of—
(a)any description of the goods,​
(b)the price or other consideration for the goods (if relevant), and​
(c)all the other relevant circumstances (see subsection (5)).​

(3)The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;​
(b)appearance and finish;​
(c)freedom from minor defects;​
(d)safety;​
(e)durability.​

So there is probably an argument as to whether a 'reasonable person' would consider a 2.5 year life span is satisfactory durability for a £200 toothbrush, but whether that argument is worth pursuing through the necessary channels is another matter.

Ok understand now, I definitely misunderstood earlier. I think the challenge is that the satisfactory quality will be open to interpretation, so I deffo understand the earlier comment about whether its worth bothering with on a £200 product.

Personally I wouldnt be bothering and move on, whether thats buying another of the same product and accepting its disposable every couple of years, or looking for something else to use.

Last edited:
Ok understand now, I definitely misunderstood earlier. I think the challenge is that the satisfactory quality will be open to interpretation, so I deffo understand the earlier comment about whether its worth bothering with on a £200 product.

Personally I wouldnt be bothering and move on, whether thats buying another of the same product and accepting its disposable every couple of years, or looking for something else to use.
I adopted the 'cba' approach in the end. Though Philips did offer 20% off, then 30% off their online price for a replacement. Which being 3x the cost of it on amazon I ended up buying again from amazon...

So not worth starting a new thread - so I'll drop this in here (kind relevant, maybe). I bought a Philips Sonicare toothbrush 2.5 years ago, so 6 months outside warranty @ £200. It no longer works, Philips say not their problem contact Amazon, who not their problem contact Philips. Is this worth the time/effort in pursuing through the CRA 2015 - which in my limited understanding suggests the act applies (less than 6 years old) - I've mentioned this and again neither care sating "not our problem, no warranty".

I still have 9 brush heads left which is annoying me as well.

Thanks.
Press Philips. They will eventually authorise a return. I’m on my third out of warranty replacement now. I’d never buy one again, they’re prone to failure.

Press Philips. They will eventually authorise a return. I’m on my third out of warranty replacement now. I’d never buy one again, they’re prone to failure.
We’ve always had OralB electric toothe brushes which have been incredibly reliable and sadly only ever killed off by the annoyingly non replaceable batteries. Would be great if the EU could step in and force them to make them consumer replaceable.

We’ve always had OralB electric toothe brushes which have been incredibly reliable and sadly only ever killed off by the annoyingly non replaceable batteries. Would be great if the EU could step in and force them to make them consumer replaceable.
Yeah, I think that's why the Sonicare fail. There's also the issue of so many fake replacement heads and they're really expensive direct from Philips. If mine dies again and Philips don't play ball I was going to try OralB next.

Amazons customer service continued to go down hill. They used to always be the goto for any order if you could due to the ability to send it back if it turned up damaged. Just had to return an item that turned up used and scratched instead of brand new and they are now saying refund take from 14 to 60 !! days. Thats shockingly bad.

I'll admit that Prime Video is very limited. Whenever we go to find a film, it's not there, or behind a rent or buy paywall. The Prime only stuff like Clarksons farm and that...great.

In terms of value though, I will probably still keep paying it for the deliveries. I almost always need things quickly and we order a lot of stuff through Amazon. We still find it super convenient, quick and almost always cheaper buying via amazon. I'm not one to subscribe to corporate animals like Apple/Amazon, but for us it's still well worth it. We don't have any delivery issues - but yes they just dump and run. Oh well. - and customer service is always easy. Just open a webchat and ask for what you want, almost always I get it.

Amazons customer service continued to go down hill. They used to always be the goto for any order if you could due to the ability to send it back if it turned up damaged. Just had to return an item that turned up used and scratched instead of brand new and they are now saying refund take from 14 to 60 !! days. Thats shockingly bad.

I sent a m.2 drive that failed I was using in my PS5 last week, had owned it for 4 months, went onto live chat, I said I wanted to send it back for refund, though they did try to get me to do some stuff first to test it in another device, but I couldn’t be bothered to do all that as too much faff undoing all my laptop to connect it up.
Anyway they sent me a return QR barcode, I packaged up went to post office, they sorted all the label out.

2 days later refund was issued.

Bit of a difference from your experience!

Last edited:
That's the problem with them now it's so inconsistent isn't it. I have had many experiences like yours where you think this is why I shop at amazon and then you get one or two where they just take the urine.

That's the problem with them now it's so inconsistent isn't it. I have had many experiences like yours where you think this is why I shop at amazon and then you get one or two where they just take the urine.
I can't see any reason it won't be sorted within a week. 2 wks max. God knows why they quoted up to 60 days, could just a be a rogue numpty service advisor.

I sent a m.2 drive that failed I was using in my PS5 last week, had owned it for 4 months, went onto live chat, I said I wanted to send it back for refund, though they did try to get me to do some stuff first to test it in another device, but I couldn’t be bothered to do all that as too much faff undoing all my laptop to connect it up.
Anyway they sent me a return QR barcode, I packaged up went to post office, they sorted all the label out.

2 days later refund was issued.

Bit of a difference from your experience!
This is our experience every time. Never had an issue with returns, it's one of the reasons why we pay for Prime and use it for shopping. If returns start becoming difficult, that's when we'll cancel.

I'm sure this has already been posted but they put the bloody minimum order value for free delivery up to £35!

It used to be £20 until a few years ago, then £25, now £35!

To be honest that's even more of an incentive just to use eBay or vendors own websites, I barely use Amazon as it is.

Just frustrating you cannot buy alcohol from eBay as I'm after a bottle of bourbon whiskey.

I'm sure this has already been posted but they put the bloody minimum order value for free delivery up to £35!

It used to be £20 until a few years ago, then £25, now £35!

To be honest that's even more of an incentive just to use eBay or vendors own websites, I barely use Amazon as it is.

Just frustrating you cannot buy alcohol from eBay as I'm after a bottle of bourbon whiskey.
Lockers are the way. Wouldn’t work for alcohol though I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom