Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

Soldato
There’s some alcohol which I want to buy on Amazon. Though need to be in and show ID to the courier is baffling. As I also have wine ordered online with a wine retailer and don’t need to show ID when case of wine is delivered.

Wish Amazon have something in place that all people in the property are adults so no need to seek ID and ability to deliver to lockers.

Man of Honour
There’s some alcohol which I want to buy on Amazon. Though need to be in and show ID to the courier is baffling. As I also have wine ordered online with a wine retailer and don’t need to show ID when case of wine is delivered.

Wish Amazon have something in place that all people in the property are adults so no need to seek ID and ability to deliver to lockers.

It is a legal requirement and not done to be difficult and the wine retailer should be following that - though the delivery person has discretion if they believe the person they are delivering to appears over 18 (most companies have a policy of appearing over 21 or 25) though many companies have a policy that staff should check anyway. I'd have thought you'd know that working in retail.

I had a funny one the other night getting fuel and the person after me at the counter was asked for ID for alcohol and after completing their purchase kicked off about it, dunno if they were already the worst for drink, and just stood there giving the person at the till abuse giving a running commentary of everything they were doing and saying they looked so stupid doing it intermittently shouting about how silly it was they'd been asked for ID.

Caporegime
OP

We should probably just let anyone buy booze in supermarkets too, what could go wrong?

Man of Honour
We should probably just let anyone buy booze in supermarkets too, what could go wrong?

For some reason this reminded me of my gran, she was Irish, would swear by a dab of honey with a splash of whiskey or rum to quieten a child down for the night :s probably why I've a taste for spirits.

Soldato
I thought this was quite laughable the one time I ordered alcohol from Amazon (Morrisons delivery). Mum was round at the time and she answered the door. They asked her for ID. She's a pensioner!

Associate
^Seller is a comedian. I sent him photos and he offered £25 compensation to fix the damage :cry: I politely told him no.
*quoting myself for the sake of continuity...

Seller has now twice stated he has to communicate with the 'factory' before he will do anything. He's ******* with the wrong person. Have now opened an A-Z guarantee claim with Amazon.

Associate
First time i watched a film on prime since the ads were introduced,had the ads at the start then must have been 30 mins in and another ad appeared.Closed the ad at that point and watched the rest of the film on a plex server I'm a member of :cry: Will have to remember to cancel the sub before it's due.

Associate
A few people I know have cancelled theirs. I don't really watch prime often, just when things like The Boys are released etc. But I don't know I just can't bring myself to cancel it. I feel like I'd miss the free delivery

Associate
A few people I know have cancelled theirs. I don't really watch prime often, just when things like The Boys are released etc. But I don't know I just can't bring myself to cancel it. I feel like I'd miss the free delivery
It's not free. Amazon mark up most product prices to cover delivery costs.

Spend a minute on Ebay and you'll find most products often cheaper, with actual free delivery.

Associate
Except this is the opposite of the truth.

Many items are on eBay for a higher price than Amazon and when you buy them, you find that the seller then drop ships from Amazon.
Exactly this, and I’d much prefer returning an item to Amazon than eBay

Last edited:
Soldato
I needed to pickup a new AIO for the daughter's PC. I checked on my account without Prime and the price was £63.90 + £6.00 del, so £69.90. On the missus account with Prime, £72.36 all in. Scummy ********
Yeah if they altering the base price with prime thats really dodgy, something for trading standards?

Soldato
Except this is the opposite of the truth.

Many items are on eBay for a higher price than Amazon and when you buy them, you find that the seller then drop ships from Amazon.
Whenever I’ve bought cheap tat* from eBay, I’ve never had anything drop shipped from Amazon and it’s always been 10-15% cheaper.

*e.g. stuff not from an established recognised brand in the UK which is widely available from a range of established U.K. retailers. I wouldn’t buy something that wasn’t cheap tat from a marketplace seller Amazon or eBay as I’d rather not buy from either.

Yeah if they altering the base price with prime thats really dodgy, something for trading standards?
Amazon don’t control the pricing of goods sold by 3rd party sellers.

Soldato
Whenever I’ve bought cheap tat* from eBay, I’ve never had anything drop shipped from Amazon and it’s always been 10-15% cheaper.

*e.g. stuff not from an established recognised brand in the UK which is widely available from a range of established U.K. retailers. I wouldn’t buy something that wasn’t cheap tat from a marketplace seller Amazon or eBay as I’d rather not buy from either.

Amazon don’t control the pricing of goods sold by 3rd party sellers.
It is still on their platform though and do we know if its not done by first party products? Has anyone checked?

Soldato
I don’t pay for prime and never would so I’ve got no prerogative to check.

As much as the poster said it was the same product from the same seller, it may not have been and is the most reasonable explanation. Amazon is littered with duplicate listings and they do their best to mask who you are actually flying from. Pricing is also very dynamic between sellers and sellers can pay to boost their listings so the cheapest one may not end up at the top of the search.

Amazon is a dumpster fire of a mess these days, I’ve honestly got no idea why it is the default for so many people.

Soldato
I don’t pay for prime and never would so I’ve got no prerogative to check.

As much as the poster said it was the same product from the same seller, it may not have been and is the most reasonable explanation. Amazon is littered with duplicate listings and they do their best to mask who you are actually flying from. Pricing is also very dynamic between sellers and sellers can pay to boost their listings so the cheapest one may not end up at the top of the search.

Amazon is a dumpster fire of a mess these days, I’ve honestly got no idea why it is the default for so many people.

The alternative is ordering from a mixture of other online stores, which requires registering on each one, usually paying more, and have weaker return policies. Its not hard to understand why Amazon is popular, and orders fulfilled by them are usually ok.

I don't disagree on all the duplicate pop up branded stuff though.

Commissario
Convenience mostly and they still tend to have a higher level of comeback if something goes wrong than many alternatives.
Both of these. I know I can buy something from Amazon, it'll be with me tomorrow and if there's any issue whatsoever, I can return it without question and get a full refund pretty much instantly. If I drop an Amazon return off at the Post Office, I've generally had the email telling me my return has been received and my refund issued before I've even got to the car. If I schedule a return pick up by the postie, I get the refund issued a couple of hours after he picks it up.

Back
Top Bottom