Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

Soldato
If you don't ask you don't get. I have in the past returned and reordered items to save some money, why would you not, obviously I would bother for a couple of pounds but if some is say £400 cheaper the next day, are you saying you would just accept it or would you return and reorder?
Asking is fine. It's the one's that get arsey when told no.

Soldato
Deciding off your own back to return an item and reorder at lower cost is a bit different to expecting a zero effort partial refund a week later.
Like I said, you don't ask you don't get. If you have all intention of returning and reopening then a partial refund is less costly for both parties.
They will almost certainly be betting a large majority don't follow through as the poster above.
They probably have a threshold as well because I have had partial refund as well as had them refused.

Caporegime
Like I said, you don't ask you don't get. If you have all intention of returning and reopening then a partial refund is less costly for both parties.

Potentially yes, though in the case of Amazon specifically, if it's marketplace sellers then this may become difficult because the different prices may actually be because you're buying from a different seller which would complicate things, Amazon would pretty much have to give you that cash back out of their own pocket whereas return/resale keeps separate transactions from different sellers.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the way the marketplace works on Amazon means that they keep a cut even if you return the item and get another cut on the new item you're buying.

Soldato
I have never ever seen this?
If this is new I need to watch out for it. But I've never seen it myself.

Edit.
Seems some places try this on. But they can't enforce it. Under DSR you are allowed to open and inspect / test the thing you are buying.
The purpose of those regulations is to give you the same opportunity as you would have in a retail store.

With the exception of clothing, it’s very rare that you get a try before you buy opportunity in retail. For the most part, you have no opportunity to open the item in retail, only look at the box. You don’t necessarily have the right to cancel if you have opened the box/used the item - that IS a common misconception.

If you have opened the box, the only options you may have is going down the item is not as described or not fit for purpose.

Soldato
The purpose of those regulations is to give you the same opportunity as you would have in a retail store.

With the exception of clothing, it’s very rare that you get a try before you buy opportunity in retail. For the most part, you have no opportunity to open the item in retail, only look at the box. You don’t necessarily have the right to cancel if you have opened the box/used the item - that IS a common misconception.

If you have opened the box, the only options you may have is going down the item is not as described or not fit for purpose.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought this was the case.

Caporegime

I dunno. I read that you can open the box under DSR. That it was explicitly allowed for you to turn an electronic item on (as an example)

Soldato
I dunno. I read that you can open the box under DSR. That it was explicitly allowed for you to turn an electronic item on (as an example)

Not under the 14 day right to cancel. The goods should be returned in as new condition so they can be resold.

If you’ve opened the box and turned it on, it’s not as new and the retailer has the right to charge you fee as they can only resell it as open box/b-grade. Many don’t but they could.

Ultimately it comes down to what’s reasonable to inspect the item so I’m most cases it’s reasonable for you to open the shipping box to look at the retail packaging to check it’s the right item or in the case of a T-shirt try it on.

But it’s not reasonable for you to bust open the retail packaging and test it out for 24 hours before deciding you want to cancel.

The 14 day right to cancel is intended to give you a similar experience to buying something in a retail shop, e.g. you get to pick up the retail packaging before you buy. You wouldn’t get to open the box and turn use the item before buying it.

Now if it doesn’t work or isn’t as described, that’s a different issue and has different rights.

The TLDR is, it’s not a 14 day free trial.

Retailers may offer terms which go over and above your statutory rights but don’t confuse them with your statutory rights. If you buy something face to face, you’ve actually got no statutory right to return it if you change your mind. Almost all retailers accept face to face returns if you change your mind but they would not take a return if you opened the box or used the item unless it was faulty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a couple of cheapish things recently where I've gone for a refund (I always pick free returns when I can) and Amazon has refunded and told me to keep them.
Obviously not worth it to them to cover the return costs.

Caporegime
Not under the 14 day right to cancel. The goods should be returned in as new condition so they can be resold.

If you’ve opened the box and turned it on, it’s not as new and the retailer has the right to charge you fee as they can only resell it as open box/b-grade. Many don’t but they could.

Ultimately it comes down to what’s reasonable to inspect the item so I’m most cases it’s reasonable for you to open the shipping box to look at the retail packaging to check it’s the right item or in the case of a T-shirt try it on.

But it’s not reasonable for you to bust open the retail packaging and test it out for 24 hours before deciding you want to cancel.

The 14 day right to cancel is intended to give you a similar experience to buying something in a retail shop, e.g. you get to pick up the retail packaging before you buy. You wouldn’t get to open the box and turn use the item before buying it.

Now if it doesn’t work or isn’t as described, that’s a different issue and has different rights.

The TLDR is, it’s not a 14 day free trial.

Retailers may offer terms which go over and above your statutory rights but don’t confuse them with your statutory rights. If you buy something face to face, you’ve actually got no statutory right to return it if you change your mind. Almost all retailers accept face to face returns if you change your mind but they would not take a return if you opened the box or used the item unless it was faulty.

I have never seen anything declined after opening a box myself. I have returned monitors before after looking at them and not liking it.

Maybe I'll just use cex if can fall foul of this. They have a 2 year warranty too

Associate
I had a flask that Amazon wouldn’t let me return last week. It arrived and I’d changed my mind. Hadn’t even opened it but every option in the returns sent me to contact the manufacturer.

Got it sorted in the end through chat but it was strange!

Caporegime
Like I said, most retailers offer terms which go over and above your statutory rights but don’t confuse that with your statutory rights.

If the wording is "try it in a shop" it definitely seems a grey area for let's say a camera. On many shops you could try the camera as a demo unit. You don't like the picture.. You don't buy it.

You open your camera you bought online, send it back because you don't like the pic that comes out.

But yeah I may just buy used off cex anyway as I do want to try 2 models. At least if its pre used theres no issue returning it

Soldato
Many places put a hard notice stating the item needs to be returned in unused and sealed condition or it has to be defective if opened.
Seen recently in the news a female clothing outlet, pretty little things or something, are charging for returns O_o, and recently started banning customers who made one return in a year.

I think this might highlight how bad things can be at other retailers.

Soldato
Seen recently in the news a female clothing outlet, pretty little things or something, are charging for returns O_o, and recently started banning customers who made one return in a year.

I think this might highlight how bad things can be at other retailers.
Put simply. Females can't be trusted :D

I jest ofc.

Soldato
£35 Have they increased the free postage limit in other countries or this is just an experiment to see if more people will sign up to their media 'content'/prime
will have to look for free returns items to bulk out orders (like sized clothing), or start using more 3rd parties.

wouldn't surprise me if amazon do tighten down on return of opened/tested electronic products - very little you can't learn from reviews, you can't return a mobile phone can you ?

I don't understand why people think they are entitled to a partial refund if the price drops after they buy something.
yes just need to show due diligence/planning with camel camel to understand price fluctuations - rather than impulse purchase, of I must have this tomorrow.

Caporegime
yes just need to show due diligence/planning with camel camel to understand price fluctuations

I'm sure someone will tell me it tracks all my behaviour or something bad but I use the Keepa extension in chrome which adds price graphs directly into the store page whilst browsing

Associate
I ordered an oil diffuser and it broke after 2 months. Warranty says 6 months but there is no one to contact... no website for this "brand" and the amazon seller is a reseller.

Is there anything I can do besides buy another one and pack the old one into the new box and say it doesn't work I wanna refund?

Back
Top Bottom