Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

Soldato
I can get convenience factor and their returns policy (to note this doesn’t apply to things bought from 3rd party sellers as amazons support is getting more and more robust as pushing you off to the 3rd party unless you kick up a bit of a stink) but lowest price isn’t a notion I can get behind.

I just don’t find Amazon to actually be cheaper for anything I buy, at best it’s price matched.

Products can usually be found elsewhere for the same price or less. As you need to go around the houses to check pricing anyway, it’s not any more convenient to buy from Amazon as you’ve already done the hard work.

Associate
Both of these. I know I can buy something from Amazon, it'll be with me tomorrow and if there's any issue whatsoever, I can return it without question and get a full refund pretty much instantly. If I drop an Amazon return off at the Post Office, I've generally had the email telling me my return has been received and my refund issued before I've even got to the car. If I schedule a return pick up by the postie, I get the refund issued a couple of hours after he picks it up.
Possibly - but only if that item was sold and dispatched by Amazon themselves. Otherwise you are dependent on the good will and quality of customer service of the seller, which in my latest purchase is frankly dire. Currently I have an AtoZclaim against them running as he's being totally uncooperative.

Associate
Except this is the opposite of the truth.

Many items are on eBay for a higher price than Amazon and when you buy them, you find that the seller then drop ships from Amazon.
Disagree.
Take one example today - I purchased £70 of camping equipment from eBay. £70 all in with free delivery. The same product was available from the same seller, on amazon, with prime "free delivery" for £85.
This is not an isolated case.

Last edited:
Associate
Exactly this, and I’d much prefer returning an item to Amazon than eBay
Each to their own - if you'd prefer to pay a premium for that then fair play.
In my example today I paid £15 less on eBay - same seller, same returns policy. Delivered next day.
But like I say each to their own. Many are happy to pay that premium for convenience.

Associate
It's not free. Amazon mark up most product prices to cover delivery costs.

Spend a minute on Ebay and you'll find most products often cheaper, with actual free delivery.
So technically buying from Amazon without prime is either subsidising the delivery cost of those who do, or just paying twice effecitvely if the mark up is still there then paying for delivery
:D. One thing about ebay is that it's a pain if you need to return something, one thing I'll give Amazon is their return policy is quite good

Associate
*quoting myself for the sake of continuity...

Seller has now twice stated he has to communicate with the 'factory' before he will do anything. He's ******* with the wrong person. Have now opened an A-Z guarantee claim with Amazon.
*and quoting myself again..

Seller came up with some stupid suggestions (like, screw the regulator back on even though the support is bent and the threads are stripped out, and the dent and crease in the tank at the weld won't affect it so just try it!), but now he's recognised he's on the wrong end of an AtoZ claim against him and changed his tune a bit. Also, his return address postcode was invalid meaning a courier (like DPD) will not accept the request to ship it back. Now he's suggesting he'll just send a new compressor and I can keep the old one for parts. Yeah, right BTDT - he just wants me to drop my claim based on his promise to send a replacement. I told him sure, send the replacement and if it turns up before Amazon make a decision (a few days) then I will withdraw the claim. Pretty sure he's going to come back with 'Withdraw the claim now and I'll send you the replacement'. Lol, I don't think so.

Associate
^Well to give the seller credit he has now shipped a replacement unit so I'm not going to mark their customer service down because we got there in the end. It should arrive today - hopefully in good condition this time! Currently looking at the damaged compressor, taking it apart seeing as they don't want it back.

Caporegime
So amazon free delivery has gone up to 35 pounds.

I was really struggling to hit 25. 35 is just going to make it rarer that I use it. I mean I guess it works for them, they have the data. And maybe it'll push more people to prime?

I use amazon so rarely now sometimes I don't even check amazon when I'm looking for something.

For Example. I'm going to buy an action cam soon. About 300-400 and Amazon aren't the cheapest. They almost always were. Plus, other retailers have cashback via quidco/tcb. And this is often what tips me away from amazon.

Last edited:
Soldato
For Example. I'm going to buy an action cam soon. About 300-400 and Amazon aren't the cheapest. They almost always were. Plus, other retailers have cashback via quidco/tcb. And this is often what tips me away from amazon.

Do other retailers let you you return the item after you've discovered it's a POS when testing it?

Caporegime
Many places put a hard notice stating the item needs to be returned in unused and sealed condition or it has to be defective if opened.

I have never ever seen this?
If this is new I need to watch out for it. But I've never seen it myself.

Edit.
Seems some places try this on. But they can't enforce it. Under DSR you are allowed to open and inspect / test the thing you are buying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought a lawnmower the other week. 6 days later, it's 35 quid cheaper. I go through the chat to try my luck getting a credit or something for the difference, and the only thing they'd accept is a full return, and re-order at the cheaper price. Talk about a complete waste of time and resources for everyone involved, compared to just doing a few clicks and applying a credit note to my account. I decided to just drop it.
Oh the irony.

Soldato
I don't understand why people think they are entitled to a partial refund if the price drops after they buy something.

It's like the retailer contacting you and asking for more money if the price goes up post purchase.

Soldato
I don't understand why people think they are entitled to a partial refund if the price drops after they buy something.

It's like the retailer contacting you and asking for more money if the price goes up post purchase.
If you don't ask you don't get. I have in the past returned and reordered items to save some money, why would you not, obviously I would bother for a couple of pounds but if some is say £400 cheaper the next day, are you saying you would just accept it or would you return and reorder?

Caporegime
I have in the past returned and reordered items to save some money, why would you not, obviously I would bother for a couple of pounds but if some is say £400 cheaper the next day, are you saying you would just accept it or would you return and reorder?

Deciding off your own back to return an item and reorder at lower cost is a bit different to expecting a zero effort partial refund a week later.

Back
Top Bottom